This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

In A Cabin In the Woods
They drove out of Moscow, the conversation was fun and light, mostly about trips to various places, in particular to the cabin's of their youth. Diego seemed to have a huge curiosity about her experiences, and he seemed excited about the entire trip. It made Aurora swoon inside, this was going to be a trip to remember. Hopefully the first of many. But she was counting her chickens before they hatched.

It was several hours later when they finally arrived at the cabin by the lake. It wasn't really a cabin like Aurora was expecting, but then again everything about Diego spoke of extravagance. The house was huge, where as she thought of cabin, she meant a little log cabin with maybe two rooms and a loft, this was a massive three story house with gables and pitched roofs, covered arched windows, the sides beams of wood laid in rows, and a stone lined facade that rose higher than the bottom level door. Off to the left was a walkway of steps up to a side entrance, a small outdoor fireplace and patio ready for guests. It was gorgeous. She smiled. "Not exactly what I was expecting."

Aurora opened the car door and got out, she heard a click of Diego's tongue, he hadn't wanted her to do that. But what was done was done. She walked around the vehicle and looked out at the large lake. It was miles to the other side. There was a pier and a boat anchored by the cabin. She could only stare for a moment. It was a private yacht. There was a cold wind off the water. She smiled and pulled her coat around her and smiled, "It's beautiful."

She heard the crunch of his feet on the snow as he came to stand next to her. Looking out over the icy lake, his breath misting in the cold, he said "Yes, it is. I used to come up here regularly as a child with my parents. And the help."
The slight breeze was all they could hear as they stood there. The mountains were wreathed with a fringe of thin airy clouds. The surface of the lake was a mirror, catching the mountains and clouds and pale azure of the sky and reflecting it back up. The occasional ripples of water was the only indicator that there was any life beneath its surface.

After minutes of silence, he turned his head to her. His voice seemed to change here. There was a breathlessness to it. Or maybe it was her imagination. The movement of his head was minimal and smooth."I imagine you'd enjoy something warm. I'll lay a fire."
He gestured to the dock. "Perhaps afterwards, we can take the boat out."

Aurora smiled and walked towards the pier, the water looked like it would be freezing, she wasn't sure about a boat ride, but he sounded excited and Aurora wanted to do things with Diego that excited him, he was willing to do the museum with her before. After a moment, he left her to go inside. She sat down at the edge of the pier, she'd done it so many times a child. Tide was out, her feet were well above the water, she still was sure it was frigid. Aurora stared out at the other side, she couldn't make out much on the other side, they were pretty much alone out here in the middle of no where by the lake side. It reminded her of the time she'd spent with Nox learning her power.

She grasped the power inside her and felt the cold press in on her, but everything became clear. She could smell the fire that Diego was starting, smell the bitter smell of the fallen snow. It was crisp and clean up here, so unlike Moscow. She missed it. Maybe she would go home, maybe Diego would go with her, at least for a visit.

With a sigh of contentment, for now, she let the power go. Tomorrow would come and she could think on it all later. She turned and could see a thin plume of white smoke coming up from the chimney. The warmth called to her and she walked up freshly shoveled and salted steps to the front door. It was a massive wooden thing with patterns and inlay and a brass handle.

Inside she could smell the fire, it was one of her favorite smells in the world. She saw Diego tending the fire and she walked over to stand next to him, she had the urge to wrap her arms around him, but he was busy and she didn't want to startle him, she smiled, "Inside is far beyond comparison. I've never seen anything like this. You came here as a child."
Aurora sat down on the stone before the fire and warmed her body by the fire, she hadn't realized how cold she was. "I like it here."

He was silent for a moment, as he continued to feed the fire small pieces of wood. She wondered if he had heard her when he answered without turning around. "Yes. My father would come up here when he was in Moscow on business. He would sometimes take me. Mother too. And the help to take care of things. Father and I would take the boat out or fish. Other outdoor activities. Mother stayed around the house."

Finally he turned around and she saw something in his eyes. Was it the smoke? Of course. His mother had died. He must miss her desperately. Aurora smiled weakly, she reached out a hand slowly, when Diego didn't flinch Aurora ran her finger down the side of his cheek. "I'm sure there are good memories here."
She smiled shyly, "There is always plenty of time to make more."
Aurora turned around looking up with a big grin on her face, "I can see why your mother would stay in side though, it's almost as beautiful in here as it is out there."

She was sure she saw a spark in his eyes suddenly. And she didn't imagine the quirk at the corner of his mouth. "Yes, there is time,"
he said huskily. He looked at her for a while in silence, drawing out the moment. Then, "Let's take out the boat. I took the liberty of having my people prepare it for us. It is warm. There is champagne on ice. Hors d'Oevres. Good music. And with you it will be perfect."
He was smiling now. And there was no mistaking the look in his eyes.

Edited by Aurora, Mar 24 2015, 04:54 PM.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Aurora - 03-18-2015, 09:02 AM
[No subject] - by Aria - 03-19-2015, 03:53 PM
[No subject] - by Aurora - 03-19-2015, 03:53 PM
[No subject] - by Aurora - 03-24-2015, 04:53 PM
[No subject] - by Aurora - 03-25-2015, 01:19 PM
[No subject] - by Aurora - 03-26-2015, 11:38 AM
[No subject] - by Aurora - 03-27-2015, 12:41 PM