This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

We Don't Want To Anger Morven
On a completely different day in which Morven was definitely not in his office, Michael was sifting through the weekly reports on each of the students at the Garden. The records were fairly simple - how much power they could hold, what talents they had and their strengths and weaknesses. Michael tried to attend at least one training session a day even if only for a few minutes but if there was a particularly difficult student he would be there to put out any fires - metaphorically, but indeed sometimes literally. 

At the knock at his door, Michael took control of the Power and opened it for his guest. He found doing mundane tasks with the Power to assist in control and swiftness of technique. "Come in," he said, looking up. 

He smiled at the sight of one Jay Carptenter. The man had proven to be competent from what he read, and Nikolai Brandon was not one for idle praise. "Ah, Mr. Carpenter. Or do you prefer Rod of Dominion? What brings you to the Garden?"
"She saw a flaring halo around his head, radiant in gold and blue. It shouted of glory and power to come"
"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
He wasn’t sure if he should salute. It felt wrong not to, but despite the uniform, they weren’t military. Hell, Vellas himself never wore it. Despite blurring the line of what branch of Custody forces they resided in, it would be easier to answer Michael’s question with a rank, but none such were appointed. So rather than salute, he simply nodded. “Jay is good enough, sir,” he replied straight and to the point. In the past, he usually got along well with his superiors. Aside from the rare time or two when he disobeyed direct orders and barely dodged a court marshal.

Despite what the other men said about Vellas, Jay was rather comfortable sharing a room with him if only for the simple reason that formality and hierarchy was familiar territory. 

He cut straight through the bullshit and spoke plain. “I’m here with a request. I seek permission to bring a guest to the Garden. A civilian.”

He had no report to share about Adrian Kane beyond what was public knowledge. It was unsure if Michael was aware of his current assignment, and in that moment, Jay took the opportunity to glance at their surroundings, seeking any insight into what Vellas might know.
Only darkness shows you the light.

As soon as the notification popped up, Reed’s eyes flared wide in a rare display of surprise. “Fuck us all,” she muttered under her breath and hurried out of her office.

She barked orders to some brainless assistant that barely kept up with her pace. Informed them to alert administration, guards, and VIPs of the arrival. door. Buried in a slew of demands for information was the immediate need to find Vellas. As he was practically across the compound, she tapped a few messages into a handheld prompt, alerting him to the arrival. Then she informed the gate to keep Amengual contained until Vellas could be summoned. An unknown power-user on grounds, dignitary or not, needed to be surrounded by some serious fire power before letting him waltz in the front

“Oakland’s guy is two days early,” was all it said.

They knew next to nothing about this guy, having only been alerted yesterday of his imminent arrival from some worthless cocksucker that worked in the Ascendancy’s office. Reed should have known better than believe it when the EOA shared timetables. Luckily, she’d done digging of her own. Given her status remained in tact from her ZARS credentials, the network became the only means to learn the identity of this supposed “Matías Amengual.”

She plowed across the Garden to Vellas’ building.

“Commander Vellas is with someone,” a voice spoke as Reed stalked past. She kept her breathing steady despite the exertion, she was in fantastic shape after all, and could kick anyone’s ass on base, assuming the assholes didn’t cheat and use that fucking power.

Jaw tight, she knocked. The moment a sound of acceptance hit her ears, she would plunge straight in.
Michael gave a nod in return. From what he knew, Jay was competent enough to have Nikolai Brandon take him on a little adventure into the Americas and had pulled him out of the Africa expedition without explanation. He doubted he was given all the information - Nikolai barely ever gave the full story - but it was enough to know that the man had no doubts about Carpenter's loyalty. Besides, he was by all accounts he had more experience in the Power than most of his other Dominions. "Just Jay. Call me Michael. Our Ascendancy never gave me a pretty name like he gave you and your fellows, perhaps I should come up with one myself. How does the Gardener sound?" he mused, mostly to see how dogmatic the man was. Of all the Dominions he knew Jay and the new man, Bastian, the least.

"A civilian?" Michael's brow rose slightly. "Adrian Kane? I have no issues, the Ascendancy believes the man is of some value. As long as he has considered the dangers, although I suspect eyes are already on -"

He was interrupted by a knock at the door and he reached for the Power, giving him just enough to spin a web to ward off curious ears around the perimeter of the room with a flick of his wrist, he hesitated before tying the weave off, not knowing if it was wise to show a potential enemy, although he felt no surge of Power on the other side of the door. So he held the web and a trickle of the Power. For anyone to make it past the students who kept people away when he was in a meeting, it must have been important. He glanced at Jay, showing no alarm. "Apologies, let us see what our guest wants."

As the door was opened, his brow rose at the familiar face. "Agent Reed, I suspect by the look on your face, something has gone awry."
"She saw a flaring halo around his head, radiant in gold and blue. It shouted of glory and power to come"
"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Vellas was surprisingly… jovial. Not to be conspiratorial, but it was freaking Jay the hell out. But then again, he’d take a jolly commander over a sadistic one. Actually, scratch that. He knew how to handle sadistic, power-hungry officers. He had no idea what to do in this situation.

Might as well go along with it.

“Whatever the Ascendancy has in mind, it’s above my pay grade,” he started to say, relaxing a little. He had no idea about Adrian’s value, other than being a grade A douche, he didn’t seem like anyone important enough to warrant so much investment.

He turned at the same knock, but it wasn’t to guess at the identity of the person on the other side. His eyes trailed the webs of power flowing from Michael. It was nuanced and specific, but Jay could only guess what sensation Michael was seeking. It was interesting, either way.

As was the woman on the other side. He didn’t recognize her, though she was clearly in uniform and obviously belonged.

The moment the door opened, Reed’s surveillance skimmed one of the most dangerous men in the world. She shared little to no time with Commander Vellas, but the recognition of her name shivered her through. The second man in the room was met with an even-keel study, fleeting as it was. She recognized Jay Carpenter. She would have to live under a rock to not know his face, but this was the first time seeing him in person. Surprisingly, there was something about him that reminded her of Trano that made her frown. All this time since Dominance V and she still fought those memories with mixed emotions. She shoved both from her mind, focusing back on Vellas.

“Sorry to interrupt.” The apology was forced. She wasn’t sorry in the least. “Ascendancy’s 'guest', Matías Amengual, has arrived. Two days early.” She added that last between clenched teeth, clearly demonstrating her frustration.
Aliases
CCD spy and all around badass
Jay was happy to stand back and let Vellas deal with the scary agent. He learned day one in Special Forces that scary lady agents were far worse than sadistic commanders. So he tucked his hands behind his back and waited for the important people to finish talking.

Until a name shot him in the face. ”Matias Amengual”

Before he realized it, he interrupted. “Matias Amengual? The kid of Andrés Amengual?” His eyes were wide, voice tight as a noose.

And in that moment, the entirety of the ball and the very first moment he saw Zacarías in the flesh flashed through his head. Desperate to know what he was doing in Moscow, inside the Kremlin itself, and desperate to undo the shit-mess he’d made of his life since killing Andrés. And now Ascendancy was dancing around with yet another Amengual?

He didn’t know it, but sweat broke out on his face, and his chest was heaving with the motion of quick, shallow breaths. "He's here? At the Garden. Right now?" The power came to him that same moment.

Mild annoyance at the unexpected arrival gave way to curiosity as Jay spoke up before he could respond. Michael knew some small amount of the Ascendancy's plans and past activities but he was surprised at the vehemence in Jay's voice. Even more so when he reached for the Power. 

Michael did not do the same, simply holding on to his current thread that dampened the sound in the room. 

He turned to the Rod of Dominion, apparently one of the most powerful people in the world and saw fear. From the drips of information he gathered the alliance with the man destroying cartels in Mexico was sealed in blood. The name was one he recognized vaguely from reports but could not place. It seemed as if Jay had a very vivid memory. 

First, however, he would need to stop the situation from escalating. For that, he turned back to Reed. His congeniality was gone, replaced with the icy calm in which he had relied so much upon to restrain his anger in more deadly days past. "I hope you are not about to tell me he is just outside, Agent Reed. I trust that you came as soon as he exited the plane landed. It is dangerous for a man to arrive unannounced to the Garden." 

He switched his attention to Jay. "Carpenter," Michael barked, hoping that the man's military training would snap him out of his state of shock. "I take it you know of this man. I see you are...wary. Calm yourself, find the void of peace within the Ascendant Power." At this, Michael drew in a torrent of Power but stopped short of straining himself overmuch and placed a hand on Jay's shoulder. "Calm yourself," he repeated. "A dozen men can be in this room in a moment, Karim al'Shadis himself to lead them if I command it. More than that, I am here. Should Oakland's man wish to cause harm, he has come to the wrong place." 

Back to Reed. "How much time do we have until he arrives? I would like to know more about him before we meet, and Carpenter here seems to know him all too well." 
Matías was a whirlwind of emotions when he boarded the plane in Mexico City. He had never traveled outside of Central America, and the idea of going to Moscow, a city so steeped in history and cultural grandeur, was both exhilarating and intimidating.

The long flight was a journey in itself, a confined space where time and people were suspended in a void between the life he knew and the infinite futures awaiting him.

Upon arrival in Moscow, Mat was immediately struck by the stark contrast between the vibrant, colorful energy of Mexico and the imposing, grandiose architecture of Moscow, its monumental buildings and broad avenues radiating power and history.

Despite his modest background and official lack of diplomatic status, Mat was greeted at the airport as if he were someone of high importance. The cold air bit at his skin as he was whisked away by an official car. The journey from the airport through Moscow to the government facility outside of the metro area offered a panoramic view of the city's many faces, from the gleaming domes of its historic churches to the stark, utilitarian blocks of its Soviet-era buildings.

Arriving at the Garden, he was met with a mix of curiosity and chaos. It seemed he was unexpected, though he did not understand why. He didn’t so much as own a coat, although Damien warned him prior to his departure that he would be shocked by the weather swing. Therefore, he hurried from the car to a gate house where he literally sat in a folding chair while those around him figured out what to do with him..
The passive-aggressive tone irritated her to no end, and Reed was an expert at resting bitch face. She remained expressionless while enduring Vellas’ questions until an unexpected interruption burst out of the background.

A curious brow lifted. Per her ZARS credentialing, she knew as much as the agency did regarding Matias' background. The criminal activity of his family was prominent in her reading. “Yes, that’s correct.” She affirmed Jay’s question, witness to the visible and invisible intervention issued by Michael that followed. She never would have imagined him as the comforting type. Then again, Jay was wildly uncomfortable.

She turned back to Michael. “He’s at the gate,” she replied plainly. She wasn’t in a place of official command at the Garden, but Reed had a reputation. “I ordered the guards to keep him out until you could be reached, but he’s a power-user. If he wants in, well…” She shrugged. If Vellas' wanted video feed, all he had to do was check his tablet for visual confirmation.

"Your orders, Commander?" A slim, sarcastic smile waited.
Aliases
CCD spy and all around badass