This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Birthday Plans [North of Moscow]
It was September a horrible month for Nox.  And made even worse by the fact he was dealing with a broken heart.  So lets pile on the loss of his twin sister and their birthday on top of it -- a real shit month.  It could have been worse.  At least things had calmed with the horde a little -- thanks to Oriena.

But Nox planned to get away.  Not for any reason anyone expected, though sitting with his sister on her birthday fit right in with something he'd do.  And it was part of the plan, but he was doing it for more than that.  Three days of hunting Atharim who were hunting him.  

Nox had Sage plant seeds for weeks leading up to the date.  And now it was time to make those actions true.  He was going hunting Oni out near some park -- not too far from where Aurora was buried -- dead in the ground where her murderous boyfriend left her.  

Nox knocked on Carmen's door, he knew he could take the time.  Or rather suspected she'd have insisted he take some time off since he'd been pretty much there every night since the break up -- only taking off a few extra hours here and there so he could go to the Almaz early for a fight he wanted in on or to "hang" with Oriena.  And who was going to say no to their boss? 

Carmen barely looked up when he knocked, more waving him in and expecting him to talk.  "I know it's our busy days, but I'd like to take the 20th, 21st and 22nd off this month.  Go visit Aurora's grave."  He left off the fact that it was her birthday the 22nd. "I'll be back on the 23rd when we open the doors."

Carmen finally glanced up, stern-faced. A few swipes of the holos on her desk brought up the schedules and calendars, and she made note of the dates. She said nothing of the reasons; he certainly didn't need to explain himself, even if he'd left the request a little late. But the gaps were easily enough plugged, and Nox did far more than he was ever paid for to protect the club and the people in it. Of his personal life she'd make no comment unless he brought it up first. Sometimes the girls spoke to her about their lives, and Carmen always listened when such things were asked of her. Kallisti was family after all. But she was also their boss, and she never pried either. Not unless she had a compelling reason. Both boys lived under Kallisti's roof, and everyone here knew about that sad business, but neither of them let it affect the job. So Carmen wouldn’t comment on that either. Though it did not mean she was not concerned. 

“Most people take their own birthday off,” she said as she closed the window and reopened the work he’d interrupted. “Trade’s quiet Sundays. We could spare you.”

Nox chuckled with some mirth. "Most people don't have a twin sister. And most twins aren't born straddling the human designed midnight barrier of days. I've never celebrated on my birthday, why should I start on the first one without my twin sister?" He shrugged. "I'd rather not have time to dwell on my life."

[[ with Carmen ]]
Before Nox left for the extended stay, he folded his tattered gray hoodie and draped it over the pillow left on his bed. He left the laptop open and sitting on the desk should anyone need his security feeds for whatever reason -- or that direct line to Sage if they didn't have one to his Wicked persona already.

Nox seized the power within, slipping through the oil covered slime that the was the horde and watered Lily one last time before he left for a few days. He'd be back. At least that was his plan. But other than those three things, the room looked rather unlived in. No clothes hung in the wardrobe, nothing scattered on the floor. Even the bed was made -- which was unusual, why bother if you were just going to muss it up again later.

For all intents and purposes someone could just as easily take up space here and never know someone else had stayed here. His things were all neatly stowed in the backpack slung over his shoulder except Lily the Lotus, his laptop and his favorite sweatshirt. That was the meaning behind it. Anyone who knew him, knew he was coming back. It was aimed at Raffe, but then Nox had written him a small note anyway. He needed him to do something for him should he not be back in three days.

The folded note with Raffe's name read:

Quote:I know things are strange, but we are still friends, and I need to ask a favor. If I'm not back by opening on the 23rd text Sage this message exactly so he can find me. You can use my computer to do it.

Backdoor Code: T07a11YAnA5540l3

PS: Feel free to use the laptop and watch over Lily for me.

Nox took one last look at his room.

He turned and knocked on Raffe's door then slipped the note under so it could be seen from either side. Hopefully it didn't get kicked around and hopefully he didn't need it. But at least someone would be able to find his body should something happen.

Nox tapped a few screens on his phone and set up a lock that Aurora had enabled long ago, something so her hacker buddy couldn't track them when they were on out on a clandestine mission. He rarely used it. He wasn't even sure if Sage knew he'd kept it around much less that he even knew of its existence. No one could track him. The Atharim would need to use their clues and follow him, but he planned on leaving that trail wide open for a while.

The wallet rebooted and no one including the wonderful and loving Wicked Truth couldn't find him. Nox pulled up the hood to his sweatshirt he'd taken to wear out in the cool Russian weather and slipped into the shadows.
The plan had been weeks in the making. Throw out some false stories that all pointed to monsters in a location of Nox's choosing so that when Nox set off very publicly for the Atharim cameras and watch men they'd know exactly where he was heading.

His leave was real. He intended to spend Saturday night on Aurora's grave sipping her favorite drink and listening to her favorite music. He couldn't believe in a few days he'd be older than her. That she'd never see twenty-two.

The air was chilly, but Nox barely felt it. The power wrapped him in a warm bubble of air. His thoughts intruded upon the hordes desires. It would have to live with food and fighting. There were no girls where he was going.

At least none he'd fuck.

Nox put on the show as he headed out of the city, making sure every Atharim camera caught him with his thumb sticking out and hitching a ride towards his destination.

It didn't surprise him when a car pulled over and waited for him to approach. There was only one person inside. "Can I give you a lift?" The man asked.

Nox smirked as he leaned into the window. "Yeah. It's only a couple hours from here." Nox handed the guy the brochure he'd picked up from a travel agent not too long ago. Another cookie crumb for them to follow.

"Wrong time of year for a vacation, ain't it?" The man said.

"Not for hunting." Nox said as he climbed in the passenger seat.
He was predictable. Henrik watched him on the traffic cam thumbing a ride out of Moscow. He wasn't hiding. It should have been the first sign it was a trap. And Henrik was mildly aware of the possibility, but his blind revenge got in the way. He knew he wanted this kid dead and he was going to be the one to do it.

He got in his rental. And headed down the road hoping he saw the man he was looking for. It wasn't long before the man came into view on the road leaving Moscow. A bag slung over his shoulder and a hood pulled up around his head. He pulled over and he climbed in with little persuasion. He didn't appear to recognize him. Henrik smiled to himself as he kept his eye on the road.

Henrick asked, "What you hunting"

The kid smirked. "Whatever the game warden's don't catch me hunting."

Smart ass! "That's a bit dangerous."

"They have to catch me first."

He was a bit cocky. How was he going hunting without any rifles? Or cross bows or anything of the like. What was he think he was getting past the driver? Maybe he knew? No. Couldn't be. He hadn't seen him before he'd been wrapped up in the ball of lead he had created.

He couldn't remember him.
Nox chatted with the Atharim who was hunting him. It was congenial. Nox didn't let him know he knew who he was. And the guy never slipped either. It was going to be a fun game of cat and mouse.

"You can let me out here." Nox said as the pulled around a bend.

"There is nothing here."

"Kinda the point, if I wanna get away with it." Nox quipped as the car pulled over.

"You sure, there is a road up the ways I can take you to."

"Nope. Right here, please. " Nox asked again.

The car stopped and Nox opened the door and slid out of the seat. "Thanks man."

Nox jumped the fence and headed into the woods that lay beyond. He hefted his backpack and gear over his shoulders and started walking. He hoped by the time the guy decided what he wanted to do Nox would have a nice little camp already set up. Aurora's grave was about five miles north. And that was where he'd end up after this guy hit him.
It had been a good long while since Nox had been out in the woods. It felt like home. He missed his sister. It was sorta the point of doing this here and now. All for Aurora. An excuse to run away from his problems to deal with his problems. All fair in love and war.

Nox headed deeper into the woods. The horde was restless in the wide open. The sky wasn't their thing -- they were city critters. But Nox loved it. He sat down on a fallen log after kicking it a few times to sip at some water. It smelled like home. Nox buried his face in his hands and fought with the tears that threatened to fall. Things in his life had changed and escalated quickly. And now he was off kicking a single Atharim who couldn't stay the fuck away. When were they going to learn to leave him and his alone.

The trail he had laid was precise. He had left it for this purpose and he didn't expect the guy to make his self known right away. He'd hunt him a few days, make sure there were no surprises. That's what he'd do.

Nox set in to walking the woods again and laid eyes on what game was available. There would be hunting in his near future.
After several hours walking in circles leaving a trail and looking for tracks. Or that was what he was setting up to do. Whatever critter he was hunting would leave something and he'd have to find it. There are none to be found but it was what he'd do if he were really hunting.

Nox set up camp which was just a fire and a rabbit snare away from the fire. He sat down with a can of beans, bread and cheese and a pot of coffee for his first meal in the woods. It was the first meal of any hunt. Aurora would always complain.

The horde was oddly quiet as he sat in the silence of the woods. The crickets weren't chirping yet, but the birds sang softly in the trees. He sat still in the silence and the animals appeared. Nox smiled softly as he watched them scurry and scamper around. It was nice being alone in a familiar yet strange woods. This was far more home than any place he'd been since leaving the states -- except in Raffe's arms. But Nox tried not to think about it. He pushed the memories away. This was about living without him now. Running away wasn't always what he did, but in this instance it felt the only thing to do. He needed to get away to be alone -- to find himself in all this mess in his head. He wasn't just the guy in love with Raffe. He wasn't a bouncer or a fighter. He wasn't some piece of slag left on the road. He was Atharim. But he wasn't. He wasn't even that anymore.

The next day and night pretty much went the same.

When the darkness settled in the woods earlier than in most places Nox wasn't suprised when wolves howled in the distance. He moved in closer to the fire and laid out his sleeping bag. It had been a long time since he'd slept under the stars. At least he'd not be cold as he wrapped the power around him and tied off the weave so it'd stay warm all night long. It also served as a shelter if it rained.

It was new even for him.

In the darkness a figure stirred. Nox kept his eyes shut and listened with power enhanced ears. His sense of smell was also better holding the power. Nox smiled when he recognized the scent, but he still wove a shield of air around himself. Better safe than sorry.
Nox had left only leaving word with his boss.  Jacob had stopped by the club to see him.  But he'd already disappeared.  Said he was going to visit his sister's grave.  Jacob didn't stick around to ask where that was, he would just look it up.  Which wasn't nearly as easy as it should have been.

But he did eventually find it.  Tracking Nox was all but impossible.  But the man hunting him, that was another story.  The man had a vendetta out for the boy.  He had killed a friend apparently.  There were several internal memos on the subject.  Some scientist wanted Nox alive.  Zephyr wanted him alive now too.  There seemed to be a small faction inside the Atharim that was wanting to work with these gods.  Jacob might be one of them. 

The boy was a good hunter.  Jacob had tracked him through the woods doing circles like he was taught except there were no monsters to be found.  No signs of anything out of the ordinary.  Nox was leading the Atharim into a trap.  He needed to stop it before yet another Atharim came after him for revenge too.

The kid lay on the ground by the fire when he stepped from the shadows.  "I figured you'd have traps."

"I don't need them.  What are you doing here?"

"Stopping you from killing an Atharim."

"Was I that obvious?"

"To someone who knows you.  There is no monster here.  He's too busy hunting you to notice that you aren't hunting anything."

"He's hunting me around those I care for.  He has to go." Nox said.

"I know a few Atharim who are willing to let you live if you work for them."

"Are you one of them?"

"Maybe.  I had been training you to replace me."

"I don't kill gods just to kill gods, Jacob."

"I know that.  You've changed."

Nox sat up and growled. "I hate that I was that way.  I hate that you made me what I am."

"Your father made you what you are.  I only gave you the training and tools you needed to succeed at it."

"I killed those kids for you." Nox said.

"Yeah.  You were different then.  Now I see a kid who is lost needs to find a balance.  We have some targets that will fit your kill evil that hurts innocents and they can't get close.  You can, and they want it to look like an accident."

"And if I don't agree?" Nox asked.

"Then I might have to help your friend."

Nox smirked, "You think you can kill me Jacob?'

"Oh I think I can."
Jacob thought a lot of himself. But it would be in Nox's best interest not to underestimate him. He had been alive a long time. One of the longest lived Atharim Nox knew of.

"Anything else?"

Jacob laughed. "Of course. The whole no kids thing."

Nox smirked. "That was taken care of a week or so ago. Didn't notice the uncomfortable walk for a while?"

"Willingly?" The disbelief radiated through Jacob's voice. Nox wouldn't believe himself either if he didn't know the true reason he'd done the deed. And it had nothing to do with his recent proclivities. He was NOT going to subject his kids to his issues. No fucking way was he passing the horde down. He couldn't pass it on the parasite way, but there was no telling what other ways including STDs that it could slip past, but he was careful. And this protected against any genetic mutations it may have caused.

A crack from the west drew both of their attention.

"He's early. And?" Jacob asked.

"I don't suppose I have a choice. It will be nice to hunt. I get final say in who I kill and don't kill."

"That is the way of the Atharim isn't it?" Jacob returned.

"Fine." Nox said as the crossbow bolt flew smack dab into the shield of air Nox had woven when Jacob showed up.
The shadows revealed the man from the car -- the man whom had tried to kill Nox at least once before but Nox suspected he had tried other times. At least from the times he'd shown up on Sage's reports anyway. He was a nuisance -- nothing more.

Jacob stood up and pulled the bolt from the air with a chuckle. "Nice trick."

"One of many." Nox said.

Henrik shot another bolt this time at Jacob. "Outta my way old man."

Nox batted the bolt away from Jacob with weave of well timed air. It flew past and nicked the older man's arm instead of landing in his heart. Jacob looked to Nox with a look of thanks before he turned to Henrik. "I suggest you leave before you die."

"In your dreams. There is no place to go. I'll kill you both."

Nox sighed and reached out with the power and found the man's heart with a weave of spirit. He'd been wanting to try something for a while now. A wicked smile spread across his lips. And it might come in handy in the future if he had to take human marks. He sighed, but the horde was already enamored and pushing at him.

Nox used a little bit of air and spirit and plugged a vital artery. Nox wondered how long it would take for it to work -- to simulate a heart attack -- a clogged artery without the blockage -- a modern mystery.

There were probably cleaner ways to do it. But Nox knew little about anatomy, and next to nothing about healing a body with the power. Dane could easily kill. Aria's power simulated heart attack. He wondered if it would the same as Lucas or Giordano if his body were ever found.

Henrik started to clutch at his heart. He collapsed to a knee.

Jacob stared at Nox. A smile grew across his lips as the Atharim died a painful death.

"Not bad for a first try."