This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Times Like These
Ayden woke, greeting him in a way that warmed his heart. Then she rolled over and pulled him to her so she was in his arms. He loved feeling her next to him. No, he would not let them take her away from him.

And then she started talking about her dreams. He felt his heart drop. He'd put them out of his mind, hoping it would go away. Of course, that didn't happen. But as she spoke, now looking up at him, he felt puzzled. So when she killed, she dreamed of death but her family was safe. When she didn't, she dreamed of the death of her family. It was strange and his heart broke. She wanted to keep the people she loved safe. Taht was it. He thought about the people that had captured her, blackmailed her. He could only imagine what they had done to her, to create this thing in her. She was trapped between her desperate fears and the reality of killing.

He held her tightly, trying to think of something. His mind returned to his idea. Maybe, perhaps that could help her. Not the killing thing, but...he didn't know. But maybe being around people like her could help. Somehow, this had to end for her.

He got up and went to the table, grabbed his wallet and got back into the bed, though he sat up against the headboard. "Here, let me show you something."
He called up the video he had been watching. It displayed in the air in front of them. "He's a commander with the CCD. He can do the same things you can."
The display was awesome in its destructiveness. "I met him not too long ago in a book shop."
He looked at her. He hadn't mentioned the list he'd found and felt guilty. "I came across a database that belongs to the Atharim. It contained the names of people like you and Hayden. It was a hit list. Some of them were already dead."
Now that he had started, he had to continue. "I went to a bookshop to think and met Vellas."

He paused, realizing something. Perhaps Ayden was discovered because he'd had the list? Maybe that older guy in the shop had had him followed. His voice became tense. "In fact, another man came into the store. I think he was Atharim. He seemed to be warning me off."
Guilt painted his face. "I think maybe they found out about you through me. Like they followed me. I am so sorry Ayden. This is my fault."
He put his head down. He had been so stupid, trying to play like he had any cards. Like a guy like him could do anything to hurt the Atharim.

More than anything, he had to keep her safe. "I gave the list to Vellas. I don't what he's gonna do with it, but I though..."
He looked at her, shaking his head. "I thought that maybe you could meet him. If he's using his power in the military, maybe you can. Maybe you could work with him or something. Since you were already trained and all."
It sounded stupid saying it out loud. But he was desperate. "I mean, if you were around him...maybe even other people like you, working and doing stuff..."
He trailed off, looking at the stopped video. He knew what stuff.

But she had to be safe. And being in the military, perhaps getting more training with her power, and being with others like her...maybe that would be enough. Of course, he couldn't tell her his real reasons. But the dreams offered another one. It might even work. "I don't know maybe it would help with your dream. Maybe? What do you think?"
Ayden sat up and leaned against the headboard, and into Connor. She watched the video in awe and confusion. She should have seen what he was doing, but she couldn't. She'd clearly seen Zoya's weaves, but this man's she could not. He was the first man who could do what she did that she'd seen, but she hadn't seen another woman until she met Zoya do what she could do. Just another battle of the sexes it seemed.

Ayden frowned. "It's not your fault."
Ayden hadn't told him everything. It wasn't guilt that made her tell him now. "I used my power openly, in front of some kids and a woman. I've felt like I've been being followed since then. I thought it was my paranoia. But it seems like it was very real. I think that man had been following me for days. I'd seen him before at the bar."

Ayden shook her head at his suggestion. "You know what that means don't you, what you are suggesting. The same thing that almost ended what we have before it even started."
Ayden turned to Connor and took his hands in hers. "You do understand what I'll end up doing in some for or another? If he's training and using others like me for the CCD military, you know what that means."

Ayden kissed his cheek. "I will meet him, maybe there are other things he needs, but are YOU sure you want this?"

Ayden shook her head at his suggestion. "You know what that means don't you, what you are suggesting. The same thing that almost ended what we have before it even started."
She took his hands in hers. "You do understand what I'll end up doing in some form or another? If he's training and using others like me for the CCD military, you know what that means."

He breathed, thinking. "I didn't have a problem with you doing that in the military. Not really. And I understood when you family was threatened."
He looked her in the eyes. "What bothered me was when you did it for money and it didn't bother you. That you seemed ok with it- that you were killing a son or father or mother for money from bad people."
He didn't want to rehash everything, but they were being honest. "It took awhile but I think I understand. It was a progression for you, something that you worked up to. And you are good at boxing different sections of your emotions, not overly identifying with the person. And to an extent that's a good thing. Doctors do it."

He looked at her. "I can accept that's an ability that you have. Just because you can do that- were trained to do that- doesn't make you a bad person. Of course, I don't want you in danger. I don't want you to hurt people. But I want you safe. I want you strong. And if you work for the military, at least I can believe that the things you do are...necessary."

He sighed. He wasn't naive. He knew that governments and militaries could do bad things- that they did them. But at the same time, it was a necessary part of life, of the world. A person could serve in them and still be a good person. "I trust you Ayden, to be a good person. I believe in you."
He shrugged. It really did come down to trust. "I hope in you, in the kind of person you are. I trust the things you will do."
He smiled and leaned in a gave her a deep kiss. "And love you with all my heart."
"I trust you Ayden, to be a good person. I believe in you. I hope in you, in the kind of person you are. I trust the things you will do."
Connor kissed her."And love you with all my heart."
Ayden was happy, she was glad he understood, but more importantly that he loved her. It was her hope, her reason for doing everything she'd done. For him. She'd do her best not to disappoint him, but she was sure once they found out what she was capable of that is exactly where she'd be again, except this time and again for the government.

Ayden nodded. "I guess when we get back to Moscow you'll introduce us then."
Ayden wasn't exactly sure what to think of this man who weilded great power, she wondered what kind of man he'd be. Only time would tell. But she had other ideas how they could spend their last day in Saint Petersburg.