This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Closing the Trap
Jacinda found Barovsky's anger amusing. Gunnar's face seemed to be unreadable but the squints on the team seemed to take Barovsky's side. Eh, that was life. What was done was done. She still didn't see what the big deal was. Their guy in the police force was not gonna be exposed because of this.

But Barovsky was the head. And she had promised the Regus she would try to work as a team. Likely he'd probably be pissy with her too. That made her curious, more than anything. Be interesting to see how he dealt with that; to see what was important to him.

Not for the first time she found herself wondering what it would have been like to have been old world Atharim, with a rigid command structure and lore and what not. Did it make you more effective or did it hinder you? She had a feeling she'd find out, in her case. Regan had been her only "superior" and that was not an organizational thing. No, it was far more. He was father, mentor, trainer, lover- and so many other things all at once. No man had ever come close to what he had meant to her in all her years. She wondered if the Regus would the first man she could truly respect as her superior.

Barokvsky was barking orders and she was suitably chastened enough to nod at him- though she couldn't help the smile she gave and she took her burner phone and dialed the emergency number. She didn't press send though. Instead she waited for everyone get the explosives set.

Barovsky was pouring some liquid- an accelerant by the smell- and the body. Guess he really didn't want there to be much evidence. She wondered how an exploded building and an obviously burned body was supposed to be less of a question mark for the police than a knife in the back. Didn't exactly seem like it would minimize questions. If anything, it seemed like it would bring more questions. What could be seen as a gang-land style murder- execution- would now take on terrorist overtones.

She pressed "send" and put the phone to her ear as she heard the ring.
But she couldn't help herself. "Doesn't blowing the building up draw more investigation?"
she asked as she raised an eyebrow.

The other end picked up. "Emergency Services. How may I help you?"

She whispered, adopting desperate fear as her tone. "He's going to kill me!"

The voice on the other end became concerned. "Who is trying to kill you, ma'am?"

She let more fear into her voice. "Him! The man from the market."
A sob escaped her mouth. She looked at Barovsky and then the body only barely keeping from rolling her eyes. She should probably help clean up this new mess. Her voice became quieter, as if she wre "I'm in the closet. He's with some men. He's going to kill me if he catches me."

"Ma'am, please calm down. Can you give me your location."

She let more fear and desperation in her whisper. "I don't know. Strokoff and Yevgeny. I was just looking for a place to sleep. Oh god. They're coming. They have guns! I-"

She hung up and went to one of the closets and tossed the phone in. Then she looked at Barovsky. "Good?"

Edited by Jacinda, Oct 16 2015, 11:21 AM.
Cross made a comment about the bombs and making more waves in the force. Martin shook his head. It wasn't a negative, he was just tired of explaining. He wished he could have formed his own team completely. It would be so much easier, they would already know how to work. Martin sighed, "Standard procedure."
He wasn't going to explain things more.

Martin went outside to the van and waited for everyone to return. Annemarie gave him a smile that said she saw his frustration. It would not do.

Martin sent Dorian a text while he waited. "Mark dead. Knife wound. Covering with explosive - used cocktail." He sent his current location as well. Dorian would get his call from Cross' call and there would be nothing left to find.

When everyone was accounted for they drove off in the van leaving the Red Light District. Annemarie grinned at Martin from across the seats and pushed a small blue button and behind them a series of small explosions went off and the building fell engulfing itself in flames. There would be nothing left of Volodin's body nor the warehouse by the time emergency trucks would arrive.

It wasn't clean, but there were no extraneous casualties either. They would have to find Volodin's family and take care of them. He'd send Cross and Yoshimura out to clean up those messes. She would probably enjoy the solo job. Martin wondered on Yoshimura's honor - killing innocent family members was Atharim policy.