This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Of Monsters and Magic
Elias slipped the last plate into the cubbard and inspected his work. Mother would have been proud.

He turned and found Asha asleep on the couch. She was a diminutive little ball of a girl nestled under an afghan that had seen better days. His fingers twitched with the instinct to pull the hair off her cheek, but he frowned and stayed his hand instead.

He wasn't all that tired himself, but imprisoned within the studio apartment, neither was he going to leave.

He shoved the boots from his feet and they fell aside with a heavy thud and spread out on the bed, his uncle's Wallet open before him.

A message from Tony caught his eye. Dr. Oberov had a lead on suspicious activity in the hospital. Tony and Doctor Strange kept tabs on too many missing persons showing up with Sickness symptoms in area hospitals.

He glanced at the slumbering Asha.
'Ill check into it later,'

he messaged back and closed the screen in favor of his uncle's thermal imagery app to begin scouring maps.

A few hours passed before Asha woke recovered. Night had fallen and she found Elias on the bed, stretched out, one arm propped under his head, legs crossed at the ankles. He glanced around the open Wallet screen as she roused, "Feel like going for a walk? I told you about the couch I've been sleeping on. Well the guy that owns it asked me to look in on someone for him. They're not far from here."
If she said no, then screw Tony's doctor friend's hunch. Elias wasn't that committed anyway.
It was dark when she woke, and shadows hugged the furniture in the apartment. The bookcase by the door looked like a sentinel. Asha stretched out before she sat up. The pain behind her eyes had receded, though she hadn't meant to sleep so long. She brushed the hair from her face, gathered her long dark curls in a tail behind her head, gave herself a moment to wake up properly.

Elias was stretched out on the bed, pale face lit from the glow of a wallet. Her lips twitched into a small smile. "Yeah, I could go for a walk."
[[continued in Aetas Adumbratim]]