This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Blood Sport
Marcus listened with unfeigned fascination, his mind racing along the possibilities. Of course the man seemed to enjoy being the one with the knowledge. Still, that wasn't a bad thing. In fact it could be useful. With a slight smile Marcus raised an eyebrow. "Indeed."

Examining that single datum immediately triggered a cascade of calculations and things began to click into place. Given the axiom that what he called The Force was merely a power long forgotten by many; And given that what memory there was of it was cloaked in myth and legend; The converse corollary was implied. There existed things in myths and legends such that although being in ostensibly fanciful stories, might in fact reflect reality in the distant past.

Another click. Most myths and legends had a dark and bloody aspect to them, their threat and danger absurdly high for their audience. Despite their being nursery rhymes or fairytales seemingly designed for innocent children, for example The Pied Piper, Hansel and Gretal or Rapunzel, their outcomes were often needlessly harsh and violent. Parents or those making up tales would not be expected to create such cruel and brutal stories. Therefore, this implied something further. Any such true memories they were based on would have a high probability of being themselves dangerous.

A final click. People like him and this man still had access to the power he chose to call the Force. Despite its being unknown and hidden to most everyone, it was still around, still very real. A final conclusion, then. He smiled, repeating the man's words to himself. There really are things that go bump in the night.

Except clearly this man had not deduced this probability from a few simple pieces of data. He had known of these creatures. Known and had been unsurprised. Another fact slid from memory. "I hunt monsters everyday."
The woman in the house. He surpressed the momentary desire to relieve that moment. Instead he focused on something else. This man laughingly holding the creature by the neck as it died. An implication was clear in all this. Or at least a small group of possibilities, all of presenting their own uses.

He focused, looking at the man directly, deciding on an angle to crack open this most intriguing puzzle. Already, he was proving valuable. "And how long have you been a hunter of monsters?"

Edited by Marcus DuBois, Sep 9 2015, 05:09 PM.
Giovanni frowned a bit at the man's words. "I'm not a hunter of monsters. I just know they exist."

The words rang with truth. Even during his stint with the Atharim, he hadn't been much of a hunter training instead with assassination techniques. Then again, his training had never really been completed. The training he did have had served him well though particularly the more stealthy ones.

The fact that the Sigma asked if he was a hunter implied something though. Something that Giovanni couldn't quite place his finger on.
The man's reply rang with the force of truth and....what was that? It was something familiar. Dismissal? Resentment? There was something in those words. An entire life story spoken in one sentence.

He remembered all too well. Casual conversation when he'd first been accepted at Cornell. He still young and brimming with the joy of at last being free, at last being on his own, burning with raw ambition. A fellow classmate casually speaking of home, bright green eyes then turning to him. "And where's home for you?" And he didn't know how to answer. What did he call home? What did that even mean? He lived where he lived, for however long he was there. Your house or apartment or room or bed was where you slept. But....home? The word was alien. Finally, "I don't really call any place home."

And there it was. His entire life story told in one sentence. He ended up playing it off. As he recalled, he got on well with that student who seemed to view him with pity, to end up bringing him into her group. Those 'friends' he had made had proven quite valuable, as it turned out. Even more importantly, he'd accidentally learned one very interesting and useful lesson. The pretense of weakness at the right time and to the right person can open doors and provide opportunities.

This man's words said as much...and as little. He was a proud man, it was clear. Marcus decided on a different tack. They were getting close to their destination anyway.

He relaxed, allowing the seriousness on his face and body language to dissipate. He took at drink of the water bottle in his door. "I will confess that until you said something, the idea of 'monsters' existing was not something I had even considered. Despite the, uhh, power we share."
He smiled sheepishly. He had almost said Force. Not yet. He looked out the window and saw the moon peek in and out between the buildings as the car sped along. "In retrospect, foolish, I suppose."
He looked back at the man, allowing his real interest to show. "How did you learn of them?"
Marcus liked to ask questions. In some ways too many questions. Giovanni was willing to share some things, but certain things - like his past - he didn't want to get into with the Sigma.

His Atharim training had spoken of monsters that existed, but until he came into the contact with the Ijiraq with Aria, Connor, and Jensen he had never encountered one. He however, wasn't sure he wanted to share that with Marcus. First of all, he didn't want to bring Aria, Connor, and Jensen into this without their knowledge. He could exclude their names, but strangely he found himself feeling a sense of loyalty towards them.

Besides, he had no desire to discuss his past with someone he just met. "That is a part of my past that I'd rather not discuss with you."
Giovanni said.

Marcus would know he had secrets, but everyone had secrets. Lying about it, however, was a useless endeavor. Doubtless Marcus could detect a lie. It was better to be straight forward and say that he would rather not discuss it.

Edited by Giovanni Cavelli, Sep 17 2015, 10:05 AM.