This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

In Handcuffs
Zoya gave him a look of mock incredulity in the hopes to disguise the blush that threatened to hit her cheeks. “Bratty? And must you make me sound like a fish?”
She laughed softly and shook her head. “Do you usually have women in handcuffs, Ivan?”
A brow rose questioningly then her face relaxed as she turned to pay attention to the street. It was at that precise moment that it dawned her that the two, at some point, had simply started flirting. The revelation didn’t exactly bother her, but it did make her pause.

Again, she found herself thinking that he was by all rights, a good looking man. One that also had a sense of humor she could truly enjoy. He’d also managed to leave a bit tongue tied for a second or two. Under different circumstances, she probably would have enjoyed herself quite thoroughly with him.
Edited by Zoya Bocharov, Jun 16 2014, 02:33 PM.
He was watching her reaction. He'd thrown the comment out as bait, a feeler, a way to see if it was just him. And then the stupid joke to let her know he didn't take himself so seriously. And on cue, as if handed a script, she'd answered, “Do you usually have women in handcuffs, Ivan?”

He wanted to laugh. He did laugh. Vanya was amazed at this woman. He didn't know why exactly. It was a stupid canned bit. But it was like this woman somehow got him. And he laughed.

She looked out the window. He watched her using his peripherals. Watched the way her head moved. Watched the quick whetting of lips with her tongue. The side long glances. The way her chest moved as she breathed. He became aware of the the staleness of the air. He felt a little light headed. He had been up all day and was tired. That must be it. His breath felt tight being around her. He cracked the window open a bit.

"Sorry. Just need some air. That ok with you?"
If she said no, too bad. He cast his mind about. How to keep this going. Lots of ways to go really. But..."I'm just gonna be honest. You are really pretty. I know you well enough to know that you don't count on that to get out of things. You are clearly intelligent and capable. But right now- gun-to-my-head,-you-took-the-conversation-no-where-and-I-don't-know-what-to-say-except-that-you-make-it-hard-to-think-straight- I just had to tell you."
He gave her a smile and let the words hang. He had nothing to lose. Either she cared or she didn't. But he wasn't the kind of guy willing to live with regrets. What was the worst she could do?

Edited by Ivan Sarkozy, Jun 16 2014, 08:29 PM.
Zoya definitely had not expected the answer she got. She’d thought he’d have some wise crack as a reply. Instead he looked somewhat nervous then proceeded to roll down the window. For a moment she thought she’d finally gotten the best of him. Instead, what he eventually said left her momentarily speechless. His words had come out on a rush that left her wondering if she’d heard him right. Except his smile gave her the feeling that he had in fact said all she had heard.

Silence remained between them for a few seconds before she began to laugh softly. “I’m sorry. I’m not exactly the best conversationalist, at the moment, huh?”
She pushed a lose strand of her hair behind an ear and hoped he would not notice her blush. “Perhaps I’m just tired... And you are not too bad yourself, you know.”

She wasn’t sure if she could say something about all of what he said, or remain quiet. She found him attractive, that was clear enough to her now, but she was afraid of embarrassing them both. These sorts of things tended to work better for her after a shot or two. However, she couldn’t just remain quietly sitting there and let things plunge into awkwardness. “In any case thinking can be a tad bit over rated sometimes.”

Soon after that, they approached her street. The familiar apartment building stood off to their right and she gestured to it. "That's me."
He watched her for a moment after he'd said his peace. He didn't regret it, really. But was curious as to what she did with it. He had a feeling they might have a nice time if they went out some time. Hell, he'd actually had a great night tonight and she had been mad at him for arresting her for part of it.

She apologized, which she didn't need to do. Then she did an absurdly cute thing, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear, before going on. “Perhaps I’m just tired... And you are not too bad yourself, you know.”
His heart began racing at that and he smiled at her. The car got quiet. This time it was she who broke the silence. “In any case thinking can be a tad bit over rated sometimes.”

He chuckled. "Yeah, tell me about it. That's why I try to avoid it when I can. I find it safer, especially when talking to women."
He kept his eyes forward this time, innocently looking ahead, though a smile played across his face.

"That's me,"
she said, gesturing to a building on their right. A part of him felt disappointed that the ride was over. She'd get out and he'd never see her again. He thought for a moment. No. He wasn't one to leave things up to chance. He liked her. He told her he liked her. If you like someone, you do something about. Simple as that. Life's too short to waste on wishes and hopes.

He pulled to a stop. Before she opened the door he said. "Listen. I know we got off to a rocky start. You know,"
- he laughed softly- "me arresting you and all that. But I find you interesting. I like you. Would you like to go out some time? I'd say even now, if you wanted. Go get some coffee or something?"
He had a whimsical thought and said it without thinking. "Have a drink, play some darts."
He paused, a mischevious thought coming to him. "I'll even let you win."
A grin and a wink because he knew she'd hate being patronized. Then he got serious. "No, I know you're probably tired. But maybe another time?"

He looked at her honestly. He wasn't afraid of her response, not really. If she said 'yes', great. If not...well, he'd feel bad. Of course he would. But at least he had tried. He could look himself in the mirror and respect the man he saw. It was what his dad had taught him. At the end of the day, you needed to like the person you saw, to be content with the decisions he made. And if not, resolve to do better tomorrow. That was it. It had served him well, especially as he got older.
As the car pulled over, Zoya began to unbuckle her belt. She laughed at the suggestion that he would let her win at a game of darts and shook her head. “Not tonight, I'm afraid. Like I said, even us terrible criminals need to be up early in the morning. But, maybe...assuming you don’t end up arresting me again.”

She opened the door and slipped out of the car, but held the door open enough to let her have a good look at him. “A drink could be fun. Who knows, maybe I will let you win at darts.”
Her smile was about as coquettish as they came. “But I feel I should warn you, I’m quite good. I know how to find you Officer Sarkozy. I might just give you a call one of these days.”

“Thank you for the ride,”
she added in all honesty and looked up at the snow. “Drive safe, and avoid any more calls, I’m sure super cops need their sleep too.”
With that, Zoya closed the car door and hurried off to her place. She fumbled with the keys for a moment before being able to get in. After pausing to wave at the car one last time, she disappeared past the main entrance and closed the door.

For a moment, she paused to look up at the stairs. She couldn’t hear any noises from the street, but she wondered if he was still out there or had taken off right away. The building was quiet as well. Likely, all the tenants were sleeping. She took the steps two at a time, and hurried up towards her apartment. If the girls were awake, she was probably going to end up going through an inquisition. If not, well, she didn’t wish to wake them.

By the time she fell asleep, Zoya could still remember the officer that arrested her. He was definitely not as terrible as she’d first pegged him out to be. Maybe she would give him a call.
Edited by Zoya Bocharov, Jun 16 2014, 04:35 PM.
<small>[[continued in heres to forgetting]]</small>

She shook her head and turned down the offer for tonight. He couldn't blame her really. It was only a slim chance anyway. She got out the car but didn't close the door. She looked at him.

This was it. She was going to leave. The opportunity was closing. Well...it was fun while it lasted. He shrugged mentally. And there'd be other opportunities. But damn, she was cool. Gave as good as she got. That was a woman right there. Oh well. He resigned himself to leaving.

“A drink could be fun. Who knows, maybe I will let you win at darts.”
Suddenly, his spirit lifted. Ok then. This could be fun. She gave a him a look that every woman seemed to know, a look that teased everything and promised nothing. He was a grinning idiot as she went on to say she may give him a call.

It was enough. She would call. Or she wouldn't. You couldn't predict the future. But right now, Vanya was happy and content. He knew that when he got him and got ready for bed, maybe after a beer or two and some TV, he'd look himself in the eye and put his stamp on this day. It was nice to talk to an intelligent woman who also happened to be gorgeous as hell.

She thanked him for the ride. "Have a nice evening Zoya. It was nice to meet you."
A moment. "And I do hope to hear from you about that drink."
Then, just as she closed the door, she made him laugh once more. Supercop. Maybe I should get a shirt with a big 'S' on the front. See if it fits. She was cool to the end. He really did hope she'd call. He thought they might have a lot of fun together.

He watched her enter the building and then close the door behind her. He waited for a little bit, to make sure everything was ok. He didn't know which place was hers and no lights seemed to go on. After another few minutes, he put the car in gear and drove off.

Definitely a good night.

Edited by Ivan Sarkozy, Sep 7 2014, 09:43 AM.