This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

L'Etat, c'est moi
Rarely was she arrogant, but Victoria did consider that she had a skill in reading emotions, reading people. Less certain was her reliance on hiding her own emotions completely; her face could mimic a militaristic brick wall well enough, but she knew better than most what little twitches of her mouth, eyes, even hands could reveal. Considering Michael currently, her eyes not moving of analysis of him for even a moment, she had to physically stop herself from mimicking the slight movement, more uncomfortable for her. Vellas had her on edge, he had since she'd first seen him and Victoria still couldn't exactly say why.

"I will achieve that." Even Victoria couldn't keep the slight edge of jealousy from her voice as he watched him effortlessly move the mug with the power. She wanted that, more than... well not more than anything but it was certainly up there. Her lips flickered, curving into a possible semblance of a smile. Maybe. "I would certainly say I'm determined enough. It will happen." Victoria knew she'd put her mind to it, and when she did, she tended to get what she wanted.

As Michael spoke, Victoria kept her back straight, nodding occasionally as Michael elaborated. She'd write it all in her diary later, of course, study it. Find everything and anything she could, absorb what information there was and analyse from there. It was just like learning how to be an officer, to be a solider, to fight. In a slightly different context, however.

An eyebrow raised at his last word, slightly teasing, slightly offended. "Thank you, Vellas, but I've used it enough times, and I am intelligent enough to be aware that people dislike having their emotions toyed with. I've never been suspected. Not, admittedly, that anyone would know what I was using, of course." Victoria almost went as far as to jest about whether she was manipulating him right now. Yet, of course Vellas would be able to tell if she was touching her gun. A sudden thought crossed her mind, causing her to frown.

"Do you know when I am using my power, Vellas?"
Sitting back at ease, watching the cogs turn in Victoria's head was an amusing way to liven the otherwise dull task of acting the parent to a child who barely knew how to walk.

The dogmatic military woman proceeded as expected of a trained attack dog - an unkind assessment perhaps, but Michael's distaste for the servants who fought and killed for their nation as they were told left him with little sympathy.

To her credit, she was at least determined. Confidence could, of course, be a dangerous thing when dealing with such volatility....

He shrugged the thought off. He would learn if her precise words were more than bluster and arrogance. More unsettling was her question. Dare he tell her too much? Lying was out of the question. She would learn soon enough if he did, and it would merely show weakness. Perhaps the truth would suffice.

"Not as I can see and feel a man using it. The...colours you see, other women will be able to, but I cannot. However, when one knows what to look for, the effects become traceable. I may not be able to see the nets you spin, but I can notice their effects."

Brushing the matter off, Michael arrived at the reason he had met with the woman in the first place. "That you will learn, and more, in time. It is not for you to concern yourself with now. You shall be taken to the Facility - where the Ascendant beings are trained, away from the citizens of the Custody. There you will train until you are competent enough to control your powers so you will not present a danger to society."

He almost smiled. "Untrained, you are a danger to yourself and everyone around you. The path ahead is perilous. Any misstep can end in disaster. I trust you are prepared."

"She saw a flaring halo around his head, radiant in gold and blue. It shouted of glory and power to come"
"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Victoria was coming to dislike that calculating gaze he put on her. If it was pure analysis, that would be fair enough, acceptable. Something she herself did. However, there was just this sens of superiority to it all. Perhaps she was being unfair to him, but it made her skin prickle nonetheless, one hand clenching momentarily under the table. Her composure didn't change other than that, however. Eyes still drilling into Vellas as much as his were to her.

The revelation on that he could not directly see it was interesting. So other women would be able to work closer with her; it was obvious she would need to be trained by women. Were there other female Ascendants? She suspected so. The question was whether they were more skilled than her. Victoria had the uncomfortable feeling that either way she'd be pioneering some of this. Which would be interesting considering her life had been war, so far. Hopefully there would be Ascendants from other walks of life.

Danger to society. Danger? She'd damn well had this under control for months now. Victoria stopped herself from snapping at him. "That would be a good idea." The ability to actually train her power past simply using it in battle would be welcome. She'd have to see what... what there was to learn, really. "I am prepared, Vellas. I swore an oath, and I mean to keep that oath, even if the situation has changed. My duty is likely even greater now, no?" Taking a deep breath, she gave a firm nod, face hardening even more. "Is that all?"
Michael continued to examine Victoria. She hid her emotions well, but he knew enough of this power and people's reactions to it that he could understand the basics of what went through her mind. She was a hard woman, wound tight and prided herself on military stoicism. In short, everything that he hated, and usually the slowest learners. One had to be flexible and adaptive to such strange powers.

For all her assurances, he doubted it would come easy.

Her tone, flat and neutral as it was, irked him. "It is not an idea, it is a requirement. Military protocol means nothing. The most disciplined man or woman can fall prey to the ecstasy and seduction of our powers. A block is a blessing for the untrained, it limits your ability to cause chaos. Untrained, with unrestrained access to such destructive force will end in disaster. One single misstep - a net spun incorrectly - and one could either kill themselves or reduce a house to rubble."

He paused and leaned forward once more, his eyes burning. He understood the woman well. She thought herself ready, but she knew nothing of the dangers. He would make her understand. "It has been nearly four years since my ability was awoken. Do you know the first thing I did? Unconsciously, with no concept of what power lay inside, I spun death. I killed one of my closest friends - tore his heart apart with no more effort than drawing breath. I was hunted by those who deem us demons to be slaughtered, and they too died as I lashed out wildly trying to defend myself. Dozens died by my hand, the destruction wrought by ignorance can be devastating."

With that said, he leaned back once more. "Forget everything you think you know about this power; it will kill you if you underestimate it. We play with fire, Victoria, a fire as hot as the sun. Calling you a child was no insult. I am trying to protect you from yourself. Do not make the same mistakes I have done."

"That is all. You are free until everything is organised with the Ascendancy. I recommend you do not attempt to use your power until you come to the facility - there, I will do my best to keep you from dying."
"She saw a flaring halo around his head, radiant in gold and blue. It shouted of glory and power to come"
"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."