This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

The Omnibus of Gods
Of course he wanted to know about the book. But the book wasn't his to give nor explain. "I never had the book. It's kept locked away in a room that very few can get into. Takes special dispensation from the Ascendancy. After some philosophical debates he granted me access when I first learned of their existence through the boy god who is also Atharim." Allan had liked Durante upon first meeting, but he was just that a boy and cocky as hell and it all rubbed Allan the wrong way. "I probably said too much but just saying it existed. But you have it wrong. It's not teleportation, at least not in the vein you are thinking. It's more like the old video game portal. Like opening a hole in space and just stepping through the gate. At least that's what the descriptions from their distance made it seem like. There is no disintegration and traveling through light waves like you see in Science Fiction." Allan hadn't understood even half of what the Consul spoke about. Science was not his thing.
So the idea was more about wormholes than teleportation. They were two sides of the same coin, she thought, but based on vastly different hypotheses. She blinked thoughtfully at Marcus’ question. “Well, no. The natural laws as we know them do not necessarily apply to this power, but what I’ve been investigating is the discovery of natural laws we simply haven’t realized until now.”

She brushed a hand across her hair and started talking to herself. “A wormhole connects two distant locations in space time. The simplest theoretical wormholes immediately close off because the throat, the passage linking them, is attracted to itself. A quantum connection between the mouths could thwart a throat collapse, allowing something to travel through the wormhole. What we cannot do at this time is stabilize the throat. Perhaps something in this power could do that? We could design an experiment using quantum computing as the platform. Practice with entangled particles?”

She pulled out her Wallet and started sketching possible designs.
Victoria wasted no time. The air above her Wallet shimmered as she activated it, displaying the intricate shape of a chromosome. She used her hand signals to zoom in on the supercoiled chromatin, which then opened up into the clumps of nucleosomes. She scrolled to the particular area she sought, slowing only when she reached the color-coded section under conversation. Then she tapped the nucleosome and the conformation changed into its relaxed form. The familiar double-helix of DNA appeared. Kaelan had seen as much before. “If you save a flag here, the program will return to this loci every time you enter the command. You won’t have to go through the incessant scrolling.” He took a drink of his water.

Torri barely looked up. “Thank you for the reminder,” she said flatly, but her tone did not indicate she was insulted. He found the reaction irrelevant and let her continue tediously. It was at this point that she activated cloaking mode, which was like a privacy screen that allowed only their eyes to view the hologram. He wondered how she was going to show him anything like this in public.

The DNA helix was rotating slowly, various segments pulsating in her preferred color settings.

“You know I am working on something sensitive, so I can’t explain what exactly I am seeking,” Victoria began in a hushed tone, her eyes flicking to ensure their privacy. "It involves the identification of polygenic scores correlated with certain latent abilities." Her voice stressed that final word in a way that Kaelan she was referencing channelers.

"The project utilizes quantum-enhanced CRISPR-Cas12 systems for precise gene editing and mapping," Victoria continued, her voice barely above a whisper. "However, we're encountering anomalies in non-coding regions, particularly within introns and enhancer sequences that don't align with standard genetic models."

Kaelan nodded thoughtfully, his mind already racing with the scientific implications. "You're suggesting that these abilities might be linked to non-coding DNA? That's a bold hypothesis, given the elusive nature of enhancer regions and their regulatory complexities.”

“Kind of,” she looked at the hologram thoughtfully. “I believe our answers lie in the non-coding regions, specifically, this one.” In a mindless gesture that said she’d done as much countless times before, the relaxed DNA collapsed back down into its condensed, chromosomal form. She panned to a different loci, and repeated the same procedure to show off a new, famously non-coding region.

Kaelan’s gaze glimmered with respect. "I might be able to assist," Kaelan said, his voice low, though the excitement began to fill it. "But I'll need to review your genomic sequencing data in detail. Turn on methylation mode. I’ll need access to any anomalous epigenetic patterns you've identified."

"We can arrange that," Victoria replied, her tone indicating the gravity of the information she was entrusting to him. "But not here, and this must stay between us. The implications are... considerable." She powered down the wallet and gave it to him. There was nothing identifiable on there. Nothing that would do any real harm if the data was leaked, but still, she was trusting him to help. If anyone could work with incomplete sets, it was Kaelan.

Their food arrived then, an array of colorful, artistically arranged dishes that were a fusion of traditional cuisine and molecular gastronomy, reflective of the current culinary trends. Kaelan's dish, a deconstructed borscht, was a vibrant array of beets in various textures, while Victoria had opted for a reinterpretation of pelmeni, where the dumplings appeared almost translucent, revealing the finely spiced meat within.

Kaelan lifted the Wallet, tucking it carefully into his jacket pocket, and they began their meal.
[Image: Kaelan-Signature-1.png]
Ishtar Korat Muael                                                                           
                                                             Triton
Allan steepled his fingers and listened to Danika. The words that came out were optimistic, engaging, but he didn't understand a single one of them. He chuckled when she finished her enthusiastic rambling. "I am not one to dismiss big words. But I didn't understand anything you just said. I'm not a scientist -- I studied philosophy much to my parents distaste." He smiled at her. "But I am happy to assist in whatever way you deem safe. Experimentation with our power without precaution shouldn't be attempted." It was reckless. And Allan was doing his best not to be wreckless.

[[ooc: not sure where else dinner can take us. Or if we should connect tables. ]]