This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

The Voodoo Queen of Greater Moscow
Rowan was completely and utterly taken with this Valeriya. Her choice of wording was curious, although ultimately it fell in line with Rowan’s own worldviews. The Holy Spirit, Yahweh, the All… No matter what name you called it, there was most definitely a higher power out there. In today’s day and age, Religion and Spirituality almost seemed to be guttering out like a feeble flame… At least where the common man was involved. Most people had devoted all of their faith in technology and the all mighty dollar. True, with the revelation of Channeling being made public, there were many that had come to find Faith in something or other, but it was refreshing to hear another speak with such conviction that Rowan felt over her own path.

Valeriya’s manner and her piercing gaze made Rowan want to agree to whatever atonement she might have been preaching, but Rowan was no fool. She knew better than to dive into anything blindly. Well, anything that might require serious commitment. She would know exactly what this charming woman was speaking of because Rowan really did want to atone for her past in any way that might make a difference. Certainly not through prayer. The Gods and the Ancestors heard her voice quite well, thank you very much.

“Oh, my dear Valeriya, of course, I wish to make amends for the wrongs I have committed, but how? Is serving the public and the greater good, not enough? And whom is this Great One if not the Holy Spirit which has so clearly sent you and yours into my life. I wish to know more,” Rowan grabbed at her drink and took a pull of the liquid inside. Asha stood up and chased after Tobias, proclaiming Rowan a rude woman.

Eyes bulging, Rowan felt taken aback. She had been the most gracious of hostesses tonight, especially considering she didn’t know either of them. She had offered them top-level hospitality, bared her soul to them, listened to them… All the while Tobias had behaved a perfect ass, sulking in his chair over everything. She wasn’t even sure why the man had waited so long to leave if he was having such a horrible time. Rowan pursed her lips and spoke calmly to the other woman.

“Asha, I do not wish to turn my tongue on you, but Tobias has been staring daggers at me all night. I have been nothing but kind to the two of you tonight and he sat here the whole time feeling nothing but contempt for me, so I apologize if I lost my patience for the slightest hair of a moment. You are both welcome back here whenever you wish. Truly, I did not mean to be rude or to offend either of you. I apologize again, profusely.”

And with that, the pair left the room. Rowan sighed and took a puff of her joint.

Despite the ungrateful pair, Rowan was having a marvelous night.

And God dammit, she was feeling marvelous as well.

Valeriya’s gentleman caller was another matter. The man’s face was a storm of internalized emotions. Rowan almost pulled another card for him to set his mind at ease, but he had all but ignored her previous reading, so she left the cards on the table. He finally started to smile and posed another question for her. Lord, this man only seemed to have questions… And he seemed very smug about said question, which raked a little at Rowan’s nerves.

“Right you are, friend. My homeland is a Democracy,” Rowan enunciated the word since he was so amused at the thought of a Voodoo Queen, “I am no sovereign. It is simply a title bestowed upon the recognized head of the Religion in any given locale. The role originated with Marie Catherine Laveau, a free Mulato woman born in the French Quarter of New Orleans on September 10th of the year 1801. She is credited with shaping the New Orleans system of Vodoun that we know and enjoy today, blending into it the American folk-magic known as Hoodoo, and so many other things. Many stories and myths surround the woman. She is still feared and glorified to this day. A powerful woman. You would have to be if you were going to hold the city of New Orleans in the palm of your hand as a woman of color back in that day… She earned everything in her life. I would not be who I am today if she did not rise to power and usher in a new era of Spirituality in the United States. Maman Marie Laveau is an ancestor that deserves every modicum of respect one can muster.”

Rowan took another sip of her drink, with a cool look for the man. She cocked an eyebrow and went on.

“Being the only High Priestess of the religion in Russia… and as far as I know, the only practicing member in the country… The responsibility of Voodoo Queen was laid at my feet, when I decided to settle here, by the current Voodoo Queen of New Orleans herself. Were I to return back to my home country, I would be nothing more than a High Priestess, but here? I am the authority so far as the Loa are concerned. Why? Care to take lessons from me? Voodoo is great fun for an outsider. There’s drinking, dancing- a lot of dancing- and ecstasy… But then again, judging by Valeriya’s words, I assume it is another path that you two follow… Might I be enlightened?”

Mik had been uncharacteristically quiet this entire time. Rowan turned ever so slightly to regard her man of the evening. He had seemed to be deep in thought himself. Why didn’t people voice their minds more?

Rowan gently nudged Mik with a devious smirk on her face.

“Penny for your thoughts, love?”

"The power Voodoo. Hoodoo? You do! Do what!?"

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Voodoo Queen of Greater Moscow - by Lih - 08-11-2018, 07:55 PM
RE: The Voodoo Queen of Greater Moscow - by Lih - 08-29-2018, 02:06 PM
RE: The Voodoo Queen of Greater Moscow - by Rowan Finnegan - 11-29-2018, 01:05 AM