This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

The Dust Settles
Jacques had remained silent after Jared's announcement, only speaking to dismiss the clerk that had led them to the room. Jacques then spent a few moments staring at Jared and Jared got the idea that he was somehow being tested. Did Jacques believe him?

Jacques pulled out his Wallet, a very expensive looking number and opened two videos which he played. One showed a man that Jared didn't recognize, wearing a CCD uniform. Spires formed from the Earth and exploded. Fire moved through the air and the earth was rent asunder. Bullets stopped before hitting the man.

The second showed a man Jared did recognize. No American would be able to forget the face of Nicholas Trano. Whirlwinds of air and water preventing balls of fire before they could do any damage to Trano and his female companion.

Jacques voice was serious, "I must know what men like you can do, Legionnaire Vanders. Mahatma Gandhi once said, 'Be the change that you wish to see in the world.' I must ask your forgiveness, Vanders. I will use you as a weapon. I will use every one of your kind I find as weapons. You...Sorciers. You are a force multiplier not seen since the advent of the repeating rifle. La mitrailleuse. If we are to succeed, we must learn how to fight your kind. How to fight with your kind. And perhaps, one day, we can know peace."

Used as a weapon. The words rang in Jared's ears. He had expected no less when he had come to Jacques and told him he could use magic. It didn't mean he had to be happy about it though, but as a soldier, he would do what he was told.

"You are my expert now. We likely will not have much time for you to practice. Yours shall be, sadly, a trial by fire."

It seemed like Jared would have his work cut out for him, and he knew his life had just gotten significantly busier. Jacques never told him not to practice, only that there wouldn't be much time too. Only a fool would go into any situation unprepared. Jared would have to increase his skills as much as possible - meaning he would have to use the power as much as possible, possibly even using it for mundane tasks. On top of that, Jacques wanted to pick his brain. He sensed many hours of preparing a report was in his future.

Jared breathed a deep breath before pointing at the CCD operative and speaking, "What this man does here is amazing. He's using multiple spells at once as well as using both Black and White - that is combative and defensive magic - at once. I wouldn't have believed it possible until I saw it. And this man,"
Jared moved to point at Trano, "Proves that some spells are still subject to natural laws. Perhaps that's an angle we can go at with defenses."

An idea popped into Jared's mind about amulets and magically imbued armor that could help stave off the effects of spells. Right now he had to think in the bubble of technology they had now.

"Defending against that,"
Jared gestured to the CCD operative, "Will be a problem, but fire is an easy spell and it doesn't take a whole lot of it to cause a lot of damage."

Jacques had called Jared his expert on this subject, so he didn't feel any anxiety at making suggestions, "It might be a good idea to make sure all non-magical personnel are equipped with fire resistant armor and clothing. It's not full-proof, but can help minimize damage. I have an idea about magically-imbued armor that might work on preventing damage from more serious spells. I have no idea if it will work, but since legends and myths have some semblance of truth to them, I think it is worth researching. As for recruitment, that's a problem too. I can detect another male mage, but only if he is gathering energy. As far as I know, I've never been in the presence of a female mage, so I don't know if they even exist. I believe they do, but have no idea how to detect them. On top of that, we like to hide in the crowd. Rumors of disappearances of those of our kind force us to keep our heads down."

Jared was surprised at how easily he moved into the role that Jacques had given him. He had only met the man today, but immediately had felt comfortable in his presence. It made Jacques easy to talk to.

"As for what we can do...well, magic is composed of five elements - fire, air, water, earth, and spirit. You can use each element on its own, or you can combine them to make more complex spells. I've never used more than three at a time, but I'm certain you could use all five at once. It all depends on the skill level and experience of the mage. I divide magic into two categories - Black, or combative magic, and White, or defensive and healing magic. Healing is possible, but only some have the gift, my teacher couldn't do it at all. Sir, I know you are busy, so I'll answer any questions you may have, but it might be beneficial for you if I wrote up a comprehensive report on my knowledge. I'm sure you have a lot to do."

Jared stopped, waiting for Jacques to answer.

Edited by Jared Vanders, Jul 10 2014, 08:42 AM.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Jacques - 06-21-2014, 09:47 AM
[No subject] - by Jay Carpenter - 06-23-2014, 02:07 PM
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 06-23-2014, 04:36 PM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 06-23-2014, 07:07 PM
[No subject] - by Jay Carpenter - 06-24-2014, 02:03 PM
[No subject] - by Ninacska - 06-24-2014, 06:20 PM
[No subject] - by Jared Vanders - 06-24-2014, 09:29 PM
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 06-25-2014, 02:48 PM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 06-25-2014, 10:11 PM
[No subject] - by Jared Vanders - 06-26-2014, 08:05 AM
[No subject] - by Jay Carpenter - 06-27-2014, 07:48 AM