This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

The Long Road Forward
The clerk staffed to the desk outside Jacques' office was a Sierra Leonean woman, one of many volunteers that had stepped up to start trying to bring order back to their country. The brief hesitation Jay displayed in referring to Jacques was met with an understanding look; she knew him as Mr Danjou, and few others that had come to see him since she had taken the job had seemed to know just what to call the man. Where everyone else in the Legionnaire uniforms had ranks and titles, he seemed to avoid any such label as much as he could.

The three she had been told to expect arrived in short order, and each were met with a nod and an exclamation that he would see them shortly. Even as Jay and Natalie started their little back-and-forth, she was speaking to Mr Danjou, and on his request she stood and opened the door to his office, ushering the three in to see him.

He stood as the three entered, nodding to each with a friendly, if tired, smile. "Gentleman, Mademoiselle Grey."
Seats were offered, although likely the meeting would be short.

"I have decided to travel to Moscow. The Legion's coffers are not bottomless, and while I have no interest in dealing with politicians, we have received an offer from Mademoiselle Emily Shale for investment in the company. Which, I believe, is an awkward idea as there is no company anymore, and I doubt she would wish to fund a 'private army.'"
He shrugged slightly; they were no exactly a profit-turning organization anymore.

"However, there are various industries and companies starting here that should turn a profit if she still wishes to invest in those instead. The good that such an investment would cause for the local economy would help many people here, and in turn alleviate the strain on both the Legion and the Red Cross, I should think."

He paused a moment, as if organizing his thoughts for a moment, "That aside. Pirates have taken two more ships bound for Freetown, with much needed supplies. The Lir Family has a fleet of ships, pirate hunters and merchant-guards. And, apparently, monster hunters now."
He was referring to the news of the giant sea-monster they had claimed to have seen in the Indian Ocean. "I hope to hire them, at the least to help train and equip the Sierra Leonean navy. Four coastal patrol boats will not be able to fend off São Tomé and Príncipe."

"Thirdly, is a need to convince a properly equipped pharmaceutical company to start producing the Ebola vaccine again. Something in which there is little money to be gained on their part. Hence why the world stopped producing it to begin with. Sadly, there is more money in treating the symptoms, as they say."

He was silent a moment, looking to the three before him, "So then. The reason I have gathered you here. Lieutenant Vanders. You shall be part of my security detail. Mademoiselle Grey, I understand that a return to the CCD would likely be somewhat unpalatable for you. But, I fear that should we continue avoiding your mother, it will only lead to a souring of relations between the Legion and the Red Cross. Should you agree to accompany us, I promise that should you wish it, a return to Africa will be available to you. And as for Lieutenant Carpenter, should Mademoiselle Grey agree to come, you would be along to continue your role as liaison between herself as our chosen representative of the Red Cross, and the Legion."

And, of course, for those in his detail, there would be plenty of time to stretch their legs and get away from the stresses that Sierra Leone had brought.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Jacques - 09-05-2016, 09:34 PM
[No subject] - by Emily Shale - 09-13-2016, 09:22 AM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 09-22-2016, 07:43 PM
[No subject] - by Jay Carpenter - 09-23-2016, 12:13 PM
[No subject] - by Jared Vanders - 09-26-2016, 09:29 AM
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 09-26-2016, 12:35 PM
[No subject] - by Jay Carpenter - 09-26-2016, 04:51 PM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 09-26-2016, 09:19 PM
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 09-27-2016, 05:22 PM
[No subject] - by Jay Carpenter - 09-27-2016, 05:40 PM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 10-05-2016, 05:05 PM