This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Now I Know
Jack quietly stared at the closed door as if he could see behind it. Beto could almost read his thoughts. There, behind those doors was one of these...'channelers' as Representative Avalon referred to them. The inherent newness of it all, the unpredictable and unknown nature of their abilities. For someone like Jack, for most people, the thought was unnerving.

For Beto it was a curiosity. One that made him think. At least two known channelers in government. And Nick Trano was Secretary of Powers Beto wanted to laugh at the title, to ask the President what had possessed him to use such a childish term for this new cabinet position. The word alone conjured up comic books and fantasy stories. Of children in his neighborhood park running around playing and yelling "you didn't hit me! My power lets me block bullets with my wristcuffs!" Not the best image when what needed to be projected was a competent and grounded executive department.

But that was neither here nor there, nor was it his area of concern. It was amusing though. In any case, Jack seemed to have been lost in thought. It took a moment of consideration and imagining before Beto had an inkling of what might be going on. He leaned forward. Jack considered him a friend, so he had some leeway. "She's a girl, Jack. Nothing more, really, despite what she can do. In some ways, I get the impression that her power- or its potential at least- scares her. She's young and idealistic. I think she could be a valuable asset"

Jack's piercing blue eyes focused on him sharply, but he seemed to consider the words. Then a smile and a small laugh. "Well, yes."
He took a breath and shook his head. His gravely deep voice seemed resigned. "This is all so very new. I can only imagine the military is champing at the bit to get its hands on these people. There are even hints that it's already happened. The world has changed."

Beto considered that, his eyes narrowing in thought. Of course it made sense. The military was always looking for the next best weapon. And going by what Brandon had done...He nodded. "Very likely, we are going to see a new arms race. We already are in a cold war with the CCD. Instead of nuclear weapons though, it will be these people."
These changes were predictable in some ways and unpredictable in others.

Everyone at Justice, especially the FBI and ATF, remembered Ruby Ridge and Waco and Colorado City, despite their being nearly a half a century old. "And that's ignoring our own back yard. What if David Koresh had been a channeler? Or Warren Jeffs? These were already charismatic men with followers willing to die- and kill- for them. If these ones had the 'miracles' to go along with it..."

He shook his head, allowing some of the uncertainty show. It was real but the move calculated. "Honestly, there is a lot for everyone to do. But if we have channelers working in and with government- in addition to Secretary Trano and Representative Avalon- then we have a better chance to keep this from blowing up in our faces."

And maybe he would finally see what was really going on.

Jack stood up. "Well, let's see this new world then. Go ahead and bring her in."

Beto nodded and went to the door. "Ms. Makawee? This way please."

"This is Assistant Attorney General John Donaghy. John, may I present Katchina Makawee."
Hands were extended in greeting. "Please have a seat."

Jack sat down and gave her a reserved but sincere smile, blue eyes bright and honest. "I am very glad you were willing to meet with us, Ms. Makawee. You must understand how much of a change all of this represents. Our goal is simple. We want everyone, including you and those like you, to have the same protections under the law as everyone else."
His deep gravely voice grew cold in time to his eyes. "That includes from any terrorist organizations that have set themselves up as judge, jury and executioner over someone just because they are different. We won't stand for that."

Beto was content to watch Jack win her over. The man was good with people. It wasn't just confidence and politics, something he had. It was something else entirely, something Beto never had and could never really achieve, not truly. It was a handicap in some ways and a strength in others.

Jack really did care about people and they could feel it.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Beto - 09-22-2016, 02:08 PM
[No subject] - by Katchina Makawee - 09-30-2016, 06:13 PM
[No subject] - by Beto - 10-08-2016, 05:48 PM
[No subject] - by Katchina Makawee - 10-15-2016, 04:22 PM
[No subject] - by Beto - 10-18-2016, 01:50 PM