This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Calm before the storm
Jacques let out a sudden bark of laughter, glancing at her with a bemused grin before returning his gaze to the city beyond, leaning once more on the railing. "The Yanks, they do love their image, no? As I said, Mademoiselle, it is my job to know reporters. Monsieur Trano is a very well known reporter. Exactly the sort I prefer to avoid on my off hours. They are useful tools, but most are far too full of themselves. Preconceptions, misconceptions, arrogance. I much rather duel wits with lawyers and the Col Blanc in their boardrooms. There, the rules are clear."

"No, Légion Première has no interest in the Americans. Their time has come and passed. Africa is still picking up the pieces from American interests. The future is in the CCD's hands now, yes? And so long as the Custody is strong, the fatherland is strong."
The Americans had, at face value at least, returned to their foolish isolationism. Just like the aftermath of the Great War, and the depression that followed it, the Americans had shut themselves in behind their paper walls, intent to ignore the world, blinded by their beliefs of self-importance and dominance. Of course, he had no doubt that, much like the Cold War, they were still active on the world stage, just from the shadows now.

If he wasn't far off the mark, the woman was trying to use him for something. And it wasn't a promotion. He continued his thought games, the display on the inside face of his glasses growing more convoluted by the moment as additional fields of information were applied.

So what was her game here? He didn't doubt she was there with the great American reporter, but as he understood it, Mr Trano was hunting a far larger prize. Wasn't he the personal reporter for the Ascendancy? Something like that. Some grand prize lap-dog position. High prestige and no real work to be done. Sounded perfect.

So she didn't want to get Mr Trano an interview with some merc CEO. She seemed to paint a very clear picture that she wasn't fond of the man, and that her work was less then ideal. Which was odd; who wouldn't want to work for someone who had no real work to do? Again, great prestige with no real effort. But then again, she wasn't a reporter.

And she was very, very good at flaunting her assets. Subtle yet bold. She knew she was attractive, and did not have to work to sell the idea. Maybe a gambit to win the man's trust? If she were really a reporter's assistant, she would do what she could to find interesting impromptu interviews. Reporters loved the impromptu stuff. No lists of pre-approved questions. Those were dangerous, unless of course you were perfectly willing to look like some fool soft business man type. Which was, of course, exactly what he enjoyed people thinking he was.

A cursory review of 'Julie Reed' turned up all the usual and no real depth. Exactly what he expected. He didn't bother running down that rabbit hole. Either she hated social media, or she was a very, very boring woman.

So, would an interview with Trano be of use to him? It would help draw attention to Légion Première. But would they also become associated with the Ascendancy himself? That would be damaging to their ongoing reputation in Africa then. They had carefully marketed themselves as the underdog African company moving into the CCD big league.

He turned his gaze back to the crowds below, "No, Mademoiselle Reed, I have no interest in an interview with your boy. I think that would make things very hard for my boys, working here in this Dominance. We've a reputation to maintain, and it is in everyone's best interests that we keep it as far from the Ascendancy as we can."

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Ninacska - 02-02-2014, 09:21 PM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 02-04-2014, 06:10 PM
[No subject] - by Ninacska - 02-04-2014, 07:27 PM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 02-04-2014, 09:06 PM
[No subject] - by Ninacska - 02-05-2014, 10:54 AM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 02-05-2014, 03:28 PM
[No subject] - by Ninacska - 02-13-2014, 07:53 PM
[No subject] - by Nick Trano - 02-15-2014, 02:16 AM
[No subject] - by Ninacska - 02-15-2014, 02:07 PM