This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Calm before the storm
Jacques laughed warmly; both at her come-back about the age difference, and for the discovery that, yet again, his reputation had preceded him. A few practiced movements of his eyes and, much like her toy, his glasses sprang to life. He watched the flow of traffic, setting tracking reticles on some vehicles to get a feel for where traffic was going and how fast it traveled. The same was applied to the crowds of pilgrims far below.

Locations of construction equipment and materials were flagged and logged. That led to investigating what companies owned the equipment, owned the contracts for the construction sites. A bit of clever thinking on his part, and he added onto his glasses' display the cleared routes of travel for the equipment and materials, tracking it back to their points of origin.

Far below an ambulance could be seen. Ambulances meant hospitals, medical supplies, and sadly, ripe targets for extremists looking for an easy score for the big headlines. Overlays came next, showing him the areas various hospitals and police departments held jurisdiction over, and that looped back to his study of the traffic. Response times, best routes of travel.

"I must admit, it isn't unusual for people to know who I am, in Africa. Average, every day folks, maybe not so much, yes? But in the right circles. Government and business. Especially business. My company means huge profit margins for big business. Employees feel safe, but more importantly, so do investors. To say your drill sites are protected by Légion Première speaks highly of you, and of how serious one is for profit."
He couldn't help but grin as the puzzle pieces of the city started to fall into place. Next came the thought games; the what-ifs and devil's advocate arguments. What if there was a riot, there? How to contain, how fast to respond? What could be used in the area?

"It's in how you carry yourself, Mademoiselle Reed. Age is in the mind, as they say. I am thankful to the CCD for this opportunity. There is much history here. History is important, there are lessons to be learned from it. One can study history, and avoid trouble in the future. In the late '70s, two hundred armed extremists took some thousands of pilgrims hostage right down there. That was when this area was known as Saudi Arabia, you see. The extremists. They felt that the ruling government was not...Islamic, enough. Pakistani forces, aided by the Groupe d'Intervention de la Gendarmerie Nationale, ended the siege. Hundreds died. Mostly disease, lack of food. Some in the fighting."

He leaned against the rail to look at her curiously, "French commandos, leading and training Pakistani troops, liberated the greatest holy site in Islamic history. They knocked down Muhammed's wife's tomb...her name eludes, me, sadly. Knocked her tome down for lavatories. These hotels are built on the foundation of a Ottoman Empire era fortress, built to protect the Grand Mosque below."

He pushed off the rail to accept her hand, although rather then shaking it he went with the far more interesting option. Heels were clicked together and he leaned over to kiss her hand, smiling up at her from over the rims of his glasses. "It is my job, Mademoiselle Reed, to find lucrative work for my men, and to be aware of the dangers, and there is no shortage of either in Dominance Five, no? And to know a reporter when I see one."
He glanced towards her badge, but was more interested in the snug t-shirt then the fake piece of plastic she wore there, then turned back to the railing to watch the crowds below. His tone hinted that he didn't believe in the slightest that she was a reporter, but was perfectly willing to carry on with the deception. It would make life easier on everyone involved, surely.

Edited by Jacques, Feb 4 2014, 09:08 PM.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Ninacska - 02-02-2014, 09:21 PM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 02-04-2014, 06:10 PM
[No subject] - by Ninacska - 02-04-2014, 07:27 PM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 02-04-2014, 09:06 PM
[No subject] - by Ninacska - 02-05-2014, 10:54 AM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 02-05-2014, 03:28 PM
[No subject] - by Ninacska - 02-13-2014, 07:53 PM
[No subject] - by Nick Trano - 02-15-2014, 02:16 AM
[No subject] - by Ninacska - 02-15-2014, 02:07 PM