This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Aftermath
The ministers continued to discuss the matter. Damien paid the chatter no heed, focused on Camila. He watched her reaction closely and he was not disappointed. She was a woman of actions above words and her insight belied a sharp mind for internal politics. He would have to curb her impatience though, just as he had done with his own mandate.

Although meaningless to him the government’s bureaucratic process was one that could not be ignored and that which could not be ignored would be bent to his cause.

When he replied it was with an air of calm confidence. “There is no cause for alarm. Such words are necessary. These men and women are cautious by nature and they talk in abundance. Alavo’s speech may seem provocative to you or I but it serves only to drive a wedge between the US and Mexico’s cooperation. There are many who would see me deported; our cartel friends not the least among them. This wedge will buy us time to consolidate our position.”

The room was buzzing with the twittering of political mechanics. Despite what he had just said, Damien was disinclined to sit and wait. The debate could wait until the government next held a session. His voice was a knife that cut silence through the air when he raised it to address the room. “I thank you all for your consideration. I am sure you will make the best decision for Mexico. However, the greater issue is protecting the people of Mexico. Do we have any leads on the perpetrators of the attack on the Embassy?”

The President clasped his hands on the desk before him. His eyes shifted around the room at a rapid pace, unwilling to rest in one spot. “The police have been unable to identify the cause. There are no residual forensics nor are there any witnesses that can attest to peculiar activity.”

“I see...”

Damien replied. He glanced at Gamez who looked thoughtful. Rosita also seemed to exude her father’s impenetrable shell of deep thought. His eyes then moved to Camila and rested on her for a short while before returning his attention to the officials. “If you require anything further I shall make myself available. If not, I will tighten security according to our original plan.”

Monero did not have any further use for him as expected. The purpose of the meeting had already been served and Damien was not one to waste time on redundancies. With permission from the President he rose and left the room. His mood was pensive and silence dominated their company as he, Rosita, Gamez and Camila proceeded. It was not until they had exited the building that Damien broke it.

The sun shone down upon them in a blue sky and Damien drank in the endless expanse. The Americans’ demand for his extradition had brought back memories of San Quentin. He would have to contact Yulian and his business partners inside the Custody. Gamez would put pressure on them from his end through their trade agreement to assert their influence. He needed Mexico to become the lynchpin between the two rival powers providing something invaluable, forcing them into a stalemate. It was a long road that had only just begun and the waves had already begun to ripple. Whoever had attacked the Embassy would pay dearly for their transgression.

“Camila, I ask you now to prove your worth. We need to find the people responsible for the Embassy attack. You have a unique connection to the cartels and access to information that I do not have. We need to move forward at all costs so I shall utilize every advantage we have. So I ask you; what can you provide us with?”

Edited by Damien, Aug 15 2014, 12:27 PM.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Damien - 07-28-2014, 01:05 AM
[No subject] - by Camila - 08-03-2014, 09:52 PM
[No subject] - by Damien - 08-15-2014, 12:26 PM
[No subject] - by Camila - 08-17-2014, 01:26 PM
[No subject] - by Damien - 08-21-2014, 09:40 AM
[No subject] - by Camila - 08-27-2014, 08:22 PM
[No subject] - by Damien - 09-13-2014, 11:11 AM