This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Glimmers of a Dream
Jon turned his head to the left -and up - to meet Bear's eyes as Nimeda spoke to him. He imagined the slightest bit of pressure on Bear's shoulders as she mentioned the name Jon had given her. His friend -- at least Jon thought of Bear as a friend, and had no reason to believe otherwise, they had shared many secrets and there was a sense of mutual reliance and trust between the two -- would know what the name meant, and at least suspect why Jon had chosen it for her.

Too much knowledge of the future can lead to disaster. Those were words spoken to him by Noah Crow's Eye, one of the few things Jon took to heart. It was certainly one of the reasons Jon tried to avoid the man when he could; the actions Noah sometimes took when directed by his visions of the future often threatened to pull others along a path of Noah's choosing. Also Jon was half convinced the ability to see the future had driven Noah crazy long ago, his moorings to the present loosened by foreknowledge of what was to come. It made the man dangerous in his own way.

If Jon's suspicions were right, Nimeda had similar abilities as well. The name was meant in part to remind Jon of this should he grow too comfortable. But he didn't want any of it revealed to her yet, especially when he hadn't even begun to unravel the mystery she presented him. There was that ... affinity that lingered and bespoke of something entirely different in her from Jon's knowledge of those who walked awake in the Spirit World.

Perhaps as Nimeda became more familiar, that particular gift would manifest itself in less harmful ways, and be put to use differently, or even not at all. But still, Jon could hardly deal with one Noah, let alone two, so best not to chance it for now and let the present speak for itself.

Bear caught Jon's eye and a small twinkle, almost imperceptible, flashed into existence from the man's gold iris and vanished so quickly Jon almost thought he had imagined it. The giant man turned to Nimeda. Ever the epitome of politeness and manners, he bowed his head and gave her a gentle handshake. Nimeda's hand was enveloped completely by Bear's huge fist; the disparity in size was so great it was comical.

"I am pleased to meet you,"
Bear said to Nimeda. Nimeda. The star dancer. That is a very old name indeed, even if poorly translated."

Bear released Nimeda's hand and turned to Jon, giving Jon a hearty clap on the shoulder. It always bothered Jon when people did that. He knew it was a social convention of friendliness and nothing more, but it still felt a bit demeaning to Jon as it tended to bring attention to his smaller form. "Your understanding of the Hopi dialect is a little rusty, friend,"
Bear said to him with a booming chuckle.

Yes, Bear definitely knew.

Jon decided it was time to change the subject. "You wanted to know how we know each other," Jon said. "We have known each other for quite some time, now. In the waking world Bear is a representative for the Inuits to the Council of Native Americans. He and I have a professional relationship stemming from --

Bear laughed again, his roar echoing across the frozen landscape. Jon reflected it was good to have someone in his life who seemed so at peace with himself and the world that he could always find something to be merry about. Bear's sense of balance in some way helped keep some semblance of balance in Jon's life. A reminder not to take living so seriously all the time. It was good to have a friend in Bear.

"No, no, Jon. That won't do. She wants to know how we met here. Shall I tell her?"

This was going to be a bit embarrassing. Well, it was a funny story. "Go on," Jon replied.

Bear created a wooden stool sized to accommodate his great body, really more of a small dining table than a stool, and sat upon it. This brought him about eye level with Jon and Nimeda. "This was long before we were associated with the CNA - Jon was still in law school - I had a dream that someone was walking the Spirit World, visiting a library."

Jon and Bear exchanged glances. They both knew, having discussed their meeting in later talks, that Noah had done something to cause the dreams that had led them to meet. Why Noah had wanted Jon and Bear to know each other was completely unknown. Jon had been similarly plagued with dreams of a giant white wolf just before their meeting. Which had probably led to Jon's reaction to their first meeting.

Bear continued: "I took the form of the wolf and went to look for him. Sure enough I found him reading books in a library. He didn't notice me right away so I sat right in front of him until he finally looked up from his reading -"

Bear started laughing again, doubling over and holding his sides. He struggled to get out the rest of his story: "-He saw the wolf - in front - of him - and - screamed - and - vanished - and -"

Jon put his hands over his face, which was turning quite red. "Just tell her, Bear," he groaned.

Bear struggled to draw a breath and was having difficulty staying seated. "-He appeared hanging from the chandelier!"
He clapped Jon on the back again. "And he was so unsettled he couldn't figure how to get back down!"

Jon groaned as laughter rang out over the frozen tundra. The story wasn't that funny. Obviously Bear had a different opinion on the matter, and Nimeda certainly found it amusing.

Bear continued to laugh, and suddenly seized Jon in a playful headlock. At first Jon thought it was just more ribbing to be recieved from his friend, but the man whispered into Jon's ear: "You've chosen a fine one to tangle yourself with with, Jon. A fine one, indeed."

Jon tapped Bear's tree-trunk-thick arm in acknowledgment. Clearly Bear didn't want Nimeda to know of this conversation and was using the brevity as an excuse to get Jon close enough to say what he needed to.

A simple trick of focus in this place prevented words from traveling farther than one intended them to, surely as soundproof walls. Jon made sure to employ this unnoticeable trick as he was sure Bear had done the same. They would look as two buddies sharing words in a friendly tussle.

"I feel a connection with her. She has such strength of will as I've never seen in this place," Jon whispered back.

Bear ruffled Jon's hair. Was that really necessary? "The wolves have been watching her. There is something about her that is rooted in their past. What exactly it is, I don't quite understand. But keep her close. She will grow in familiarity with the Spirit World and your aid could mean the difference between her being an ally or an enemy."

Jon struggled to keep shock from his face. Nimeda had been here before and the wolves had been watching her in the Spirit World? And Jon was supposed to keep close to her. Doing so was certainly not a thought that troubled him, indeed he was finding himself liking her company, but Bear's words added to what had already transpired tonight -- he had to remind himself again Nimeda did not think or act as he did -- was enough to give him pause.

Jon tapped Bear's arm again. Perhaps in helping Nimeda find what answers she was looking for, Jon could get some answers himself. In any event, having his head wrapped in Bear's arm was getting quite uncomfortable.

Bear released his hold on Jon and turned to Nimeda. "Where are my manners. I get carried away sometimes. Perhaps you have other questions?"

Edited by Jon Little Bird, Aug 26 2013, 02:17 AM.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 08-06-2013, 04:13 AM
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 08-06-2013, 02:28 PM
[No subject] - by Thalia - 08-06-2013, 03:49 PM
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 08-06-2013, 04:55 PM
[No subject] - by Thalia - 08-07-2013, 03:25 PM
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 08-08-2013, 05:36 AM
[No subject] - by Thalia - 08-08-2013, 04:22 PM
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 08-09-2013, 01:15 AM
[No subject] - by Thalia - 08-10-2013, 04:37 PM
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 08-12-2013, 03:59 AM
[No subject] - by Thalia - 08-13-2013, 10:52 AM