This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Chasing Phantoms
What by the Great Spirit could that possibly mean, to not worry about the Nimeda in the waking world as if her physical body was inconsequential? Was not the soul anchored to the body in the waking world? For a moment panic itched at the back of his mind and he wondered what might happen to him here if his body was attacked and mortally wounded. Jon assumed he'd come back into his waking body, or consciousness would wink out. But he didn't actually know. Would his spirit, severed from his body, remain here, forever trapped? It had never occurred to Jon to consider that. Come to think of it, was this place the afterlife?

Jon had almost missed what Nimeda had said next. “No, you didn't hurt me,”
he replied. “I hurt myself, actually. See, I can do those things too. That's how I know what you did. But I tried to do too much.”
Well now, that was smooth and uncharacteristic information to volunteer. To prevent himself from saying anything further as much as anything else, Jon grabbed the next piece of paper off the desk and placed it in his pocket without looking at it.

That simple gesture was sufficient to reorient his thoughts. She knows she can use the power of the Great Spirit, and she has sufficient control. At least here
. But Nimeda wasn't all that certain of her waking self having the ability to control her power. He put his hand into his pocket to retrieve the paper, but it was no longer there. He gave his pocket a glance, and mild surprise gave way to annoyance, which faded just as quickly. Such was the way of things in the Spirit World with little permanence.

Bear put up a hand as if to make a small wave (though little was small with that man) and vanished, an unusual exit for him to make. Maybe he needed to wake, or maybe he had just been feeling ignored by Jon since Nimeda had captured his attention. Apologies were likely in order on Jon's behalf.

Jon turned his gaze back to the desk. “I'm sure I will be fine,”
he said, leafing again through the shifting papers, pulling aside one that caught his eye. What would something from the National Institutes of Health be doing in an intelligence briefing? He began to scan the document. “There must be some way to integrate your memories. I would like to try and find you again when I wake up --”
His tongue froze. The words on the paper changed to an innocuous judicial appointment halfway through reading, but Jon had seen enough – “but I fear I won't be able to,”
he finished. “I have to leave Moscow right away. I am so, so sorry to have to leave you hanging like this. I hope I will see you again, friend.”

Jon didn't even wait for her reply before he stepped out of the Spirit World and into his body. Knowing the cowardice of his flight from Nimeda cut him even deeper than the regret at leaving.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 05-31-2014, 07:38 PM
[No subject] - by Thalia - 06-04-2014, 09:09 AM
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 06-08-2014, 05:09 PM
[No subject] - by Thalia - 06-12-2014, 04:49 AM
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 06-17-2014, 10:14 PM
[No subject] - by Thalia - 06-19-2014, 11:40 AM
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 08-10-2016, 01:23 AM
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 08-10-2016, 02:09 AM
[No subject] - by Thalia - 08-10-2016, 04:36 AM