This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Dissonance or harmony
Path clear, they continued down the hall. Nikolai glanced briefly in the vacated room from where the gurney emerged. Even if the Facility imprisoned its subjects, the conditions were not of a prison. The people here didn't necessarily know their proximity to CCD power above them, but they knew there was little other chance for their survival. When reminded their mere presence subjected their loved ones to danger, they did not complain. Nikolai was not a humanitarian, but neither was he a sadist. He was not interested in torturing people without justification.

"Sigma Marcus can help you, Michael. Our world is going to change and we need individuals who can straddle traditional politics and our evolving military simultaneously. He needs to understand military strategy, and you need to grasp politics."
Nikolai fixed Michael an expectant look. "You'll work together."

Nik clasped his hands behind him and continued onward. He was aware that he was mixing volatile compounds by placing Marcus and Michael side by side. Yet for all Michael's disdain for subtleties, Nikolai guessed he would find Marcus worse than the normal thorn. While Marcus, on the other hand, would keep Michael distracted from wielding too much influence over these candidates. Nikolai couldn't be with them twenty-four hours a day, yet he needed to maintain their loyalty. He wasn't about to hand Michael his very own army, which was why he was going to begin the introductions with the Ascendancy, not Michael, poised as their savior.

When they paused at one of the dozen doors, the Director pulled up the subject within's data on the adjacent panel. The top read Subject ER412-1: a code referencing the man's profession, Dominance of origin, district and city of residence. Below scrolled the image from his CCD identity card, CID number, and a variety of other personal information.

"Marcus will remain out here with the Director. You can watch on the door what happens. Michael, when I give the proper signal, will join me."

With that, Nikolai knocked, something of an old-fashioned tradition, and let himself inside. The two Barrier agents positioned themselves at the door.

As soon as the door closed behind him, micro-cameras projected an image of the scene inside onto the exterior door surface where the others could view what happened as though looking through a window.

Nikolai's back hovered near the door for the duration of his time within. The Arcus Band seemed to float around Nikolai's scalp. His suit jacket hung close to his torso. His shoulders were without lint. There was movement beyond him, but it was difficult to see exactly what transpired. Finally, the movement of his jaw seemed to indicate speech, but the audio was not transmitted outside.

The Director did not outwardly react when a wall of flame burst into being. This was not his first witness to the Ascendancy's attempt to teach others his way of wielding power. Not having moved far, the Ascendancy was drenched in the brightness of the fire, and from behind, not so much as a trickle of sweat could be seen wetting his brow. If the cameras could transmit the warp and weave of his powers, it would have shown an array of fine light that engulfed the Subject in an orange cocoon and another as a shield of air deflecting the heat from nearest Nikolai. Immediately, a second source of power welled nearby, although substantially weaker in presence compared to Nikolai, it was formidable on its own.

When he allowed the powers to lift, Nikolai gestured that Michael join them. Upon entering, he would find the subject sat calmly on the floor, arms and legs crossed. His Facility scrub-uniform was smoldering, and his long face and jet-black hair plastered with sweat, but he was unhurt. Fatigued, but well.

When Michael entered, Nikolai gestured at their most talented candidate, who looked up at them like a hesitant child. "ER412-1, this is Michael Vellas. You've reached the point where you can safely control this power. So I will offer you the chance to stay and use your gifts for me, directly, and he will take over command of your training. If you refuse, I offer you the chance to return to civilian life, but you must remain in Moscow, under immediate Custody supervision."

Im Seung Jun, also known as subject ER412-1, pushed to stand. Beneath those scrubs was a young, fit man who until the onset of the Sickness had a new wife and promising career as a cardiothoracic surgical resident. "And what if I wish to return to Korea Peninsula?"
He asked.

Nikolai shook his head. "I understand you wish to go back to the way things were, but it is not possible. It will not be possible for many years, decades perhaps. You are a valuable asset, and I trust you understand I cannot simply let you go where you might fall into the hands of Custody enemies."
He, and the rest of them, belonged to the Custody, or nobody at all. Nikolai assumed the US, China and the rest of them were soon to build their own programs, massing their own wealth of gods. Theirs was the new arms' race, and the greatest born god in thousands of years was not going to let children out-pace him.

Nikolai hoped the man agreed to the terms. None had refused him yet, but Nik did not like the alternative arrangement should the need arise. He was not a sadist, and he did not enjoy executions, but he would do what needed to be done.

Im Seung bowed his head, turning to Michael. "Then I submit to the will of the Ascendancy."

Nikolai spared a pleased glance at Michael. He better be ready.

They had many more candidates to visit this morning.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 12-14-2014, 04:17 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 12-14-2014, 06:23 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 12-15-2014, 08:41 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 12-16-2014, 11:11 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 12-17-2014, 08:53 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 12-18-2014, 07:48 AM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 12-18-2014, 11:46 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 12-19-2014, 09:30 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 12-21-2014, 12:26 AM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 12-21-2014, 08:14 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 12-24-2014, 05:01 PM