This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Not terrible
Mik listened, pocketing away every bit of information. Just a few terms, but each one hung there like a puzzle piece. A cult. Hunting humans. River worked with? for? them. Oriena was the big bad wolf who blew their house down. Snakes.

Each piece, without context. Without the details that let him connect them together. But all about something specific. And he wanted to know. Knowing all the players, seeing all the cards, that was where he lived.

But by now he knew Oriena well enough to gauge that she had the attention span of....well, he didn't know what. She flitted about, a butterfly (or maybe a wasp), from flower to flower, doing whatever came to her in the moment. A question might yield and answer. Might. Or it might not. And River wasn't exactly bursting to talk.

And so he relaxed and did what he always did. Just listened. Well, when the dickhead from the bar gave him a glare and all, he could help but smirk. Especially at Oriena's resulting comment on his 'friendship' making skills. "Hey, what can I say? I'm just a huggable, lovable kinda guy."

He let himself shrink a little, less noticeable. He scanned the room. Dickhole went over to the jukebox to talk to someone. Body language of the two screamed "Nobody look over here! secret deal going down!!!"

The Yakuza had shown. Mentally he frowned. Their plans must have changed. Not sure why they decided to meet at a bar, exactly. Usually the drinks were shared after all was said and done. Perhaps the alliance had already been made and this was a public showing of support or whatever? Or something else? He'd find out. Didn't matter. It had merely been a momentary impulse- the luck of finding Stanislav and co here.

Idly, he thought of doing something. He had beef with Kolomov, true. And they would fall. But he'd like to be the one with to put in the last nail. But if the alliance hadn't happened, it would be kind of funny to help it along. A plan half-formed. It wouldn't be that hard to accomplish. He'd have to head over to the pool table. Stanislav- the real Stanislav, not the one he'd pointed out to Dollface (he laughed at the thought of her finding out he'd lied to her about who he was. Eyes would probably go all dark and pissy. Hey, she was the one who said it, though. No rules.)

Anyway, where was he? Oh yeah. So the real Stanislav wouldn't remember him but that would play to his advantage. Just a couple pulls on a few threads and the crash people were expecting would become the opposite. Subverting everyone's expectations.

It was tempting.....but nah. Let things play out for now. Especially since it looked like things had maybe changed.

Dollface got up, pocketing River's card. Another puzzle piece floated in the air before him. She asked him to watch her drink and headed out.

Great. Stuck with River now. Prolly talk my ear off, he thought sarcastically. But there were ways to pass the time. And who knew what might happen or what might be said. He'd noticed the spider, sitting at her table. Idle seeming, he started talking softly as he casually perused the room. "Well well well. The Spider of the Syndicate has come out of her hiding place. Wonder why?"
He casually nodded toward the her table and then the pool table. "Surely not just to watch one of the families maybe crash and burn or get a life-line."

He watched as she sent her man over to dickhole, back at his table now. The man got up and joined her. Voice still low.
"Now that is interesting. Meets with someone from out-country- maybe South America? I don't know. And then he heads over to the queen of corrupt cops?"
Something about the way he moved too. Deadly. He filed that away.

Kat walked by and slowed at their table. He took her left hand with his right. "Hey Kat, sit for a minute."

She favored him with a tired smile. "Uhh, you can see I'm a little busy, Mik"
but even so, she let herself be maneuvered into Oriena's empty chair. Mik didn't let go but made a point of studying her hand, as if looking for something. And of surprise.

"Damn that Daniel! Still no ring? Better tell him he needs to lock that down or I'm gonna throw my hat into the ring."
He acted like he was serious. He wasn't really her type. And they were just friends anyway. Not that he wouldn't hit that. But he liked her like this just fine. And Daniel was a good guy to know.

She laughed as she pulled her hand away. "Me?!? You tell him that. Maybe then he'll listen."

He shook his head. "You kidding? I told him that two weeks ago. You tell him he has another two weeks and then I'm in."
All a joke. Daniel was screwing up his courage. Mik was just having a little fun. Priming the pump. Punk better get on it though. She was a good one.

He got all mysterious. "Actually, you CAN tell him that I found that thing he was looking for."

Her smiled became suspicious, though there was humor in her eyes. "What thing, Mik?"
She slapped his leg. "You better tell me."

He raised his hands laughing. "Hey, not mine to tell. Still...."
he looked at her conspiratorially. "...I imagine a woman like you could get it out of him."

Her eyes narrowed. "I'm gonna beat it out of him is what I'll do."
She could too. He wasn't a big guy, after all. Tall and lanky.

He raised a scandalized eyebrow. "Haha! Hey whatever you two are into. Have at it."
And that was that. She burst out laughing. She'd get it out of him, he was sure. Would be a good surprise.

She leaned forward to slap him on the shoulder. He caught her hand, her face near his. "Careful of the Spider and the Jabroney over there."
Her eyes widened slightly, but she nodded. She knew. And she'd let him know what they said. She was good at her work. The cover was done.

She continued the move in and kissed him on the cheek as she stood. Her voice normal, "I'll tell Daniel what you said. I'll get the secret out of him."

He smiled. "Sure you will, Doll. Not a doubt in my mind."
And mentally he wished her the best. The guy had had the ring for two weeks. Not sure what he was waiting for. Daniel'd get what he was referring too. They'd sat at his very bar, then, and he'd confided in him, even showed it to him. He had that kind of face, it seemed.

Not that Mik would ever play that game himself. But he didn't mind seeing others do it. Find whatever happiness this crazy universe let you have while it let you have it. And have fun while doing it. He raised his glass, looked at River and smiled slightly. Nothing meant by it. Some fun, at least. And maybe some information.
"Good and ill. 
We're like the wind, 
we blows both ways."
- Mad Sweeney, American Gods

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Ryker - 02-05-2018, 06:00 PM
[No subject] - by Oriena - 02-05-2018, 06:31 PM
[No subject] - by Mikhail - 02-06-2018, 02:53 PM
[No subject] - by Ryker - 02-06-2018, 03:33 PM
[No subject] - by Mikhail - 02-06-2018, 10:14 PM
[No subject] - by Oriena - 02-07-2018, 11:21 AM
[No subject] - by Mikhail - 02-07-2018, 08:09 PM