This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Changes
Lucas had a tendancy to make her smile, it really didn't matter what he said, just being with him seemed to do it. He offered his hand and Aria tucked her gloves in her coat pocket and took it. She didn't pull on his emotions, but she could still feel everything he felt. But Aria had to be careful, she knew what touching Dane did, how he reacted each time she touched him. She didn't want that. She never knew what he felt, cause he pretty much didn't care about much at all. Aria frowned at herself and pushed thoughts of Dane away. Why did everything come down to that? He'd left, she'd seen the record of his departure pop up in the database.

Aria focused on Lucas. Only on him. The rest of the world be damned right now. The owner was at the counter, he knew Lucas by name, which meant he was a regular. Aria blushed at his words and nodded to Lucas' question. It really didn't matter.

A new life? Was that really what this was? She could only wish that he spoke the truth. One day of happiness didn't make the world change. Didn't change the fact that she still had a suicide mission to run, a fanatic for a boss and a prick for a handler. Not to mention the fact that there were gods running around Moscow that could and probably should be put down. Granted she'd not met any, except maybe one - but she pushed Dane from her thoughts. If Dane were to die, so was she. The only evidence she had of his violence was that he was there with her, when SHE killed that woman, blew up the building killing two more and ending the life of a Privledge's bodyguard. And that was all one day. A new life, just another day to make the world seem like a good place to be. Though she did like being with Lucas. He was nice and funny and for some strange reason actually cared about her. He didn't even know her.

They took a table and waited for their food to arrive. Booths were always annoying with her sword. But she didn't want to take it off in a public place - too many people would freak out. Aria sat down carefully opposite of Lucas. She had no idea what to say, or what to do. Eating a meal with someone was not a common occurance. It was usually just a quick lunch alone. Being around people for any period of time made her uncomfortable. It use to be fear that kept her away, now it wasn't that, but she still didn't like being in a crowd. Three people was a crowd somedays, depended on who was there. Aria tried not to be uncomfortable but years of discomfort were hard to break.

They sat down, waiting for the food. Aria was quiet. He got the impression she was always quiet. It made sense. He didn't know her age. Maybe a few years older than him. He laughed at that. She was older than him. So why did he feel protective of her. She seemed like a child the way she held herself, the way she shied away from people. The restaurant wasn't crowded with only a few couples eating and the staff. Then again, given her abilities, maybe that was too much. His dark eyebrows furrowed. He should've gotten everything to go. She needed this in stages. "Be right back."
He went to the counter and asked Costa to make everything to go. The meal was just about done- the meat had been turning on spits, the pastries and casseroles and bread all done earlier. It was a family kitchen- not that he'd known what that was growing up, but still- and food was ready for you pretty much as soon as you showed up. Bags in hand he went back to table and touched Aria's shoulder. "Come on. Let's go somewhere quiet. Oh, can you get my pad for me?"

She rose and they left, Costas calling out his goodbyes. The streets were quiet and cold, their breaths feathering their faces. Lucas was content to let it be quiet for a while. He really wasn't sure how her abilities worked or what toll they took. Maybe she needed to recharge or something. When they got back to the shop he said, "Sorry. I didn't think about the crowd. We can eat here where it is quiet. Alright?"

Lucas left the table and Aria felt alone. Which in and of itself was not unusual, but it stung more than she'd have liked. She didn't watch him walk away, blushing at noticing was not something she wanted to do. Its not like the desire wasn't there. She remember their kiss and knew all too well what he thought. Which made Aria feel like a tease, not that she had ever had the feeling before. But it was far too dangerous. He was just human, he couldn't keep himself safe and Aria knew she couldn't do it. Her control wasn't that good. Someday? Someday!

Aria felt his hand on her shoulder beckoning her to go. And asking after his sketch pad. She grabbed his things and they left. The short walk was quiet. They really didn't have to leave. Not because of her anyway. "We didn't have to leave. I would have been alright. Crowds aren't great, but that wasn't really what was the problem."
She smiled up at him. "The most communal meals I ever had were at mass."
Which wasn't a meal, it was mass. But that was the extend of her dining with others.

Aria looked into the window of the shop and frowned. It wasn't comfortable, pain lingered in the shop, she could feel the small pangs of Lucas' customer's pain. If it had been a carnavil, and the kids having fun, she'd probably not have noticed the lingering emotions. But pain. She knew it, it drew here in. Aria looked up at Lucas. "Staying her after dark is probably not a good thing."
Aria looked around and got her bearings and smiled. "My place isn't too far away. I can't say my neighbors won't make it any less uncomfortable but it's home and quiet enough."
Aria prayed her neighbors weren't even home. Anything they could emote downstairs would not be good.

She spoke and mentioned that they hadn't had to leave. He shrugged. It was just as easy to leave as to stay. She talked about mass. He tilted his head to look at her. He she lived in a convent, cloistered away from people? Was she part of some secret part of the church? It would explain the tattoo and how she said she got it. And the gun and sword. He was curious. But he didn't want to ask her. He wanted her to feel comfortable, at peace. He was religious too. It had been one of the only things, growing up, that had given him some semblence of hope. Of course, he'd also railed at God and asked why he had been forced to endure what he had. His confessions, especially when he lived on the streets, were painful. But he did them. He hoped God understood that he'd wanted to do what was right, he wanted to be free. But the gnawing pain and emptiness called him down that path again and again. He remembered waking up after coming down, the dirty emptiness of it all, the vapid illusoriness.

He'd wander into the church, its high doors and vaulted ceilings making him feel small as he enters God's presence. But along the walls were statues of saints and they seemed to urge him on, to tell him that it was ok to approach the throne. And he craved to be clean. More than that, he'd craved love and acceptance.

She suggested they go to her place. A part of him felt his typical male reaction but he pushed that away. Aria wasn't like other girls. And he wasn't going to take advantage of her. As they walked, he asked, "Mass, huh? I go to mass pretty regularly. I need it. And my AA meetings are held at the church too."
He thought again about how alone she had to be, how alone he'd been until God had sent Valentin. "You know God loves you Aria. Even if we've done wrong, he loves us and is willing to forgive us."
He snorted, remembering how low he'd sunk. "Trust me, I know. He is with you Aria, watching you and wanting you to beat this darkness or whatever it is. You can do it. He believes in you."
They stopped in front of a building and he assumed that they were at her place. He looked down at her, hoping she could feel how earnest he was. "I believe in you too. So hold on to that, have faith that he loves you and believes in you. It will help you when you need it most."

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Aria - 07-26-2014, 04:11 PM
[No subject] - by Aria - 07-26-2014, 04:12 PM
[No subject] - by Aria - 07-26-2014, 04:13 PM
[No subject] - by Aria - 07-26-2014, 04:14 PM
[No subject] - by Aria - 07-26-2014, 04:14 PM
[No subject] - by Aria - 07-26-2014, 04:15 PM
[No subject] - by Aria - 07-26-2014, 04:15 PM