This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Looking for the Weak Link
It had been a slow day. It probably would pick up later this evening, though. In the meantime, he was doing some homework for his classes. He had his tablet in holomode and was viewing Taoist paintings from the 7th century BC to the 13th century AD. The assignment was to chart the changes reflected in the art, sculpture and calligraphy as it began to adopt the more formal structures of Buddhism and Confucianism. It was the sort of assignment he liked because it allowed his mind to sweep across the centuries and see the ebb and flow of ideas reflected in the art, the simple minimal lines of tranquil nature scenes gradually evolving into rich and beautiful depictions of paradise, forces, and a large pantheon of gods.

He found himself drawn to the delicate lines of the early works, the suggestion and insinuation rather than the depiction of of a place. His mind would filled in the gaps, fall into those empty spaces, projecting his own emotion and self on to the scene. It seemed a nearly interactive form of artwork, especially given that it was over 2500 years old. Piece after piece put him in a peaceful state of mind.

The ding of a door interrupted his meditation and he looked up to a see an older dignified looking man bundled in warm clothing come in. Lucas smiled at him and got up. "Welcome. What can I do for you?"

The man's weathered face seemed friendly enough, though there was an intensity about him, and he took out a piece of paper even as he removed his hat. "I'd like this on my left forearm. Can you help me?"

Lucas looked down at the paper and blinked. He couldn't help his reaction. This snake image was like the one on Aria's arm. A same form of it anyway. A snake eating its tail. It was an ancient image and he'd done a few over the years. But the placement of it was what surprised him. Aria had one on her forearm too.

His mind went back to that first time, working on her arm, adding the dragons. That first session had also been when that cute girl- Rune- came in and had Sergei ink her as well. On the forearm. He'd looked at Sergei's work. The snake biting its tail again. And they had known each other.

He wasn't stupid. That tattoo meant something to Aria. It represented the life she led, the group she belonged to. He wasn't sure what that meant, exactly, but it was serious. Aria was serious and intense. To the point that it made him sad to imagine a woman living in that abyss of solitude for as long as she had. It had pulled at him.

And now here was another asking for the tattoo. And displaying a similar attitude. He was older- a lot older- than Aria or Rune had been. Maybe he was a supervisor or whatever they would call it. A higher up in the group she worked for. He wanted to learn more. For Aria's sake, he did. He wanted her to find a way to happiness.

He smiled at the man. "Yeah, I can do this. In fact, it's simple enough that we can do it in one session."
He put out a hand. "I'm Lucas."

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Alex - 11-04-2014, 01:36 PM
[No subject] - by Lucas - 11-06-2014, 01:58 PM
[No subject] - by Alex - 11-07-2014, 08:37 AM
[No subject] - by Lucas - 11-07-2014, 10:38 AM
[No subject] - by Alex - 11-07-2014, 12:01 PM
[No subject] - by Lucas - 11-11-2014, 04:12 PM
[No subject] - by Alex - 11-11-2014, 05:01 PM
[No subject] - by Lucas - 11-12-2014, 12:23 PM
[No subject] - by Alex - 11-12-2014, 12:40 PM
[No subject] - by Lucas - 11-12-2014, 05:40 PM