This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Fragments
Ivan went into the adjoining room to the one Smiley was in. He sat there and watched him for a bit. He was waiting on news of the girl. The man sat there looking bored. Truth was Ivan knew he didn't have much to hold him on, especially if the guy lawyered up. Of course, under CCD law he was a person of interest and could be held for 48 hours on that alone. But the case was already shaky as it was. The man wasn't cold, exactly. Just disinterested in making a good impression. Again, that could be in his defense...or he was smug at knowing they had so little. Still, though, Ivan leaned toward the former.

He put his shoes up on the desk and tried to play the scene out in his mind, using the information he had. A guy is walking down the street and sees a girl- a prostitute- in the alley with a bunch of men. Does he scare them away? He pursed his lips. Perhaps. The man had the power and a group of men wouldn't be difficult to frighten off. So let's say that happened. He goes to the girl and she is on the ground bleeding out. He calls the police on his wallet. Then what does he do? Stop the bleeding? He had blood on his hands but not in copious amounts. Smiley wasn't very bright, at least when it came to first aid, he knew that. Lifting the girl had been stupid. So let's say the guy tried to help the girl and just didn't know what he was doing. Plenty of people like that.

And as he does so he sees the ring and it...calls to him. Just like it did to Ivan. Now the guy is distracted. Ivan walks up on him and that's where it ends. All neat and tidy. Clean and simple. Believable.

Except for one thing. A man who can touch the power just happens on a girl with a ring that is somehow associated with it. That was where it broke down. It just didn't seem believable to him. Nope, not at all. There was more to it than that.

It came back to the ring. Ivan stood. He knew what angle to use now. He went back into the interrogation room. "The girl's alive though in critical condition. Hopefully she'll make it through and then be able to corroborate your story."

He sat down and looked at Smiley, thinking. Finally, "And I gotta say that your story sounds pretty believable. The times even work out. I'm almost ready to let you go now."
He paused for Smiley's reaction. "Almost....except for the thing about the ring."

He voice dropped and he became deadly serious. "The ring called to you. I know. I felt it too."
He stopped, letting that sink in. Then in voice heavy with sarcasm he said, "So it doesn't make sense that you just happened to see a woman getting killed who also just happened to have a ring that would be of little interest to anyone but people like you and me. Does that sound believable to you?"
He sat back, to watch the man's eyes. It was out there now, the fly in the ointment.

"I'm not saying you killed her. I'm inclined to believe that you didn't. As I said, most of it adds up nicely. But"
. He paused to show that it was a very big but. "I also don't believe for a moment that you just happened across her. So maybe you just tell me the rest of the story."

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Sören - 09-11-2014, 02:15 PM
[No subject] - by Ivan Sarkozy - 09-11-2014, 02:56 PM
[No subject] - by Sören - 09-13-2014, 11:59 AM
[No subject] - by Ivan Sarkozy - 09-13-2014, 12:30 PM
[No subject] - by Sören - 09-14-2014, 03:11 PM
[No subject] - by Ivan Sarkozy - 09-14-2014, 05:09 PM
[No subject] - by Sören - 09-16-2014, 04:38 PM
[No subject] - by Ivan Sarkozy - 09-16-2014, 05:21 PM
[No subject] - by Sören - 09-18-2014, 03:28 PM
[No subject] - by Ivan Sarkozy - 09-18-2014, 03:47 PM
[No subject] - by Sören - 09-30-2014, 03:56 PM