This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Alcoholics Anonymous
Lucas listened. The story was sadly familiar. Addiction to anything- alcohol, drugs, sex- really came down to an inability to control something even when it was ruining your life, when you had every reason to stop. When your desperation for it became all-consuming and you'd do just about anything for it. He remembered his own hungers. He'd never liked men. But...to get the heroin....He shied away from the memory. He shook his head, dispelling it. This was doing no good.

"I appreciate your telling me that. Now, at this point, it's time to make sure that you put that stuff behind you. Use it to motivate your desire to change."

He smiled at Calvin, put his hand on his shoulder. "I am happy to help you Calvin. But you will have to do the work. I know what works- what has helped people here. I'm going to tell you the same things that have helped all of us. Soon, you will know it all by heart. You will be irritated with me when I repeat it. But that's ok. It's still good to hear someone else outside ourselves say it."

He smiled, remembering. "Sometimes you are going to get angry with me. You may want to fight me or resist. You're going to have to expect that and deal with that now. Because I know what works. We are all human."

He looked Calvin in the eye, encouragingly. "It all comes down to whether you really want to change this about yourself. I think you do. So you will have to be forceful with yourself, especially when you don't want to do it. Trust me."

He shook his head smiling, wanting Calvin to understand that he was there once too. "I've been there man. It's gonna be hard. But you can do it. And it will help if you get other things to occupy your hands. Be busy. A hobby. A sport. I took up Jeet Kune Do. Being physically active really helps you. Takes your mind off of the craving. Your brain follows the body's action. Whatever it is, have a routine and stick to it religously."

He let go of the man. "Here's my contact info."

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Calvin - 01-09-2015, 05:43 PM
[No subject] - by Lucas - 01-10-2015, 12:21 PM
[No subject] - by Calvin - 01-12-2015, 03:13 AM
[No subject] - by Lucas - 01-12-2015, 04:03 PM
[No subject] - by Calvin - 01-12-2015, 04:42 PM
[No subject] - by Lucas - 01-13-2015, 04:24 PM
[No subject] - by Calvin - 01-13-2015, 04:25 PM
[No subject] - by Lucas - 01-13-2015, 11:02 PM
[No subject] - by Calvin - 01-14-2015, 12:46 AM