This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Alcoholics Anonymous
The people there were encouraging and supportive. He had started to cry, feeling completely scared and vulnerable. A couple of those next to him placed hands on his shoulders and it startled him at first. A few people in the group spoke to him, telling him that he could beat it and he didn't have to fight alone anymore.

The depression lessened at the encouragement, and with it the desire to drink diminished. It was still there - his body still craved it, but it felt more manageable. He became less ashamed of himself and looked up, meeting the eyes of some of the people in the group. Their eyes showed no judgement. In one he saw compassion, in another - sympathy, in another - understanding. All were encouraging, and Calvin realized that they were right. All of them had beaten their addiction and now helped others do the same. They kept each other accountable as well. He wasn't alone anymore.

The tension eased in his body and his muscles sighed in relief as it happened. He sat up straight in his chair and allowed the relaxation to happen. For the rest of the meeting he stayed mostly quiet, but paid close attention. It was still easy to lose focus - the depression was still nagging in the back of his head and his body still screamed for alcohol, but he kept bringing himself back. All in all, Calvin enjoyed it though.

As the meeting ended, many in the group approached him - welcoming him and saying they were glad to meet him before heading home. It was a great experience for him. The last man to approach him was about Calvin's height. He stuck his hand out for Calvin to shake. Calvin took it as he spoke.

"Hey. Name's Lucas. I'm glad you came."
The man paused. "I know I know you from somewhere. But I can't place you."

As Calvin looked at the man, he realized he recognized him too, but couldn't place him. Calvin frowned."Calvin...hi. I recognize you too, but can't place you either. That probably means that I was hammered and forgot - and probably tried to hurt you or someone with you. If that's the case...I'm sorry. I was a different man then, and did a lot of things that I regret."

Shame began to take over him as he thought of the people he had hurt over the last couple of months. Calvin hoped that man never came back.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Calvin - 01-09-2015, 05:43 PM
[No subject] - by Lucas - 01-10-2015, 12:21 PM
[No subject] - by Calvin - 01-12-2015, 03:13 AM
[No subject] - by Lucas - 01-12-2015, 04:03 PM
[No subject] - by Calvin - 01-12-2015, 04:42 PM
[No subject] - by Lucas - 01-13-2015, 04:24 PM
[No subject] - by Calvin - 01-13-2015, 04:25 PM
[No subject] - by Lucas - 01-13-2015, 11:02 PM
[No subject] - by Calvin - 01-14-2015, 12:46 AM