This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Honored guest
Marcus and the liaison walked into the building and she strode to the head of the security line. This was just another day for her, to work at the center of the world, near the Ascendancy himself. Malik smiled to himself and felt that excitement stir within him again. He centered himself to stillness. This was the beginning of a very long journey and he needed to take his time. There was plenty to do.

As they passed through the checks, he observed the guards and found himself thinking. They were all powerful men. He himself was in relatively good shape and of course knew fighting from the streets. And obviously in that setting, posturing was nearly as important. But these men moved with deadly grace. They were the real thing, wolves next to pups. They were the best of the best, to be working here. It gave him pause, their quiet danger and competence they exuded, as if their uniforms were flimsy tissue barely masking deadly power.

As they walked through the checkpoint, it occurred to Marcus that for all his activities both studying the Force and in dispensing justice, his primary weapon always was only the Force itself. And it left him satisfied he supposed. But what if he didn't have the Force? He knew from experience that using it was tiring, though he didn't know why. So what if he found himself in that very position, unable to call on it or only weakly? Dangerous. He’d have to remedy that situation, he decided. And just as importantly, it would be another tool to add to his arsenal, physical power and the ability to project it, even menace.

Constantine then handed him off to a professional looking man, Varcim Tamm. She told him about the necessary presentations and later activities, and then patted him almost warmly on the shoulder. It surprised him for a moment. It seemed that he had made the right impression. She was a good person to know and Marcus would definitely want to continue interacting with her. As she walked away, Tamm said, "She can be intense. I hope you had a good trip."
He had an affable easy going manner. "There'll be beverages and food, if you need them. And I apologize in advance if you find my presentations boring. It’s not the most interesting of subjects you'll need to learn. But they are necessary to get in and out of here smoothly."
As he spoke, Marcus knew that this man, too, would be good connection to cultivate.

He chuckled at Tamm's comment about Constantine in mock conspiracy, deciding to display an easy façade, and said, “It was a great trip, thank you."
He looked around, showing how impressed he was. "All of this is just amazing. I am so honored to be allowed to be here.”
He let some of his actual excitement bleed through the admission. And then, to plant a seed, he said “But I’m sure the presentations won’t be boring. I’m betting what you do is pretty important. I hope I can fit in.”

It seemed to work. Tamm took him through the palace, chatting amiably. Marcus kept up his end of the chit chat, but on the inside he returned to his earlier musings regarding projection of power. The halls and rooms they walked through were perfect examples of that. Marcus could feel a genuine sense of awe overtake him. The sheer grandeur and wealth, the power and influence, was unmistakable. High vaulted ceilings and archways served to dwarf the visitor, as if they were a little child in the home of the Gods. Alabaster walls gleamed white, while gold glowed from the light of massively ornate chandeliers. The floor shined with the reflection of the ceilings and walls, enlarging the space even more. It radiated power, age and stability, as if it had always been there, ancient and fixed. Immovable. The effect was palpable and Marcus marveled at it.

They came to another room and Tamm said, “This is the Rose Room.”
A massive Immersion screen was on one wall, while the CCD Double Crescent adorned the opposite. It seemed as if the Crescent had always been there, all the way back to the Tsars, the CCD ancient and august. Once again, Malik marveled at Brandon and his subtlety. Indeed, he had much to learn.

Tamm offered refreshments before they began. “Just water is fine.”
He was a bit hungry, but the dull awareness of it would keep him sharp. The presentations began and Tamm explained the Palace schedules, protocols, security measures and requirements. And also palace expectations.

“The dress code here is very important,”
he said. “We represent the Ascendancy. So we have to be mindful of the impression we give at all times.”
That last was a bit emphasized, perhaps wondering if that was going to be a problem to this young American.

“I understand completely. The way we dress represents who we are and what we stand for.”
And then, an admission, framed in an embarrassed manner to elicit sympathy. “But, uhhhh,”
he said looking down at his clothes rather shamefully. “I don’t really have any more money. This was the only suit I could afford…”
He trailed off, waiting to see how Tamm took this.

The man was as he expected. In a friendly reassuring manner, he said “Oh, no. You don’t need to worry about that. The program you are in comes with a monthly stipend and even a clothing allowance.”

Marcus gave him a relieved smile. “Really? Wow. That is great. I feel relieved. Maybe you could tell me know where to do some shopping so I can represent the Ascendancy proudly?”
And that desire, he meant. Because he wanted to meet Ascendancy. Every minute in this palace only served to reinforce his desire to learn from the man.

But to do that, he had to be wary too. This was world government. The waters ran deep. He needed to know the currents and shoals, the players and the dangers. Tamm would be a useful source. He seized the Force, and then waved his hand. He hoped it would work. He didn’t know if Tamm was strong willed. “You want to help a new friend avoid any pitfalls.”

The man’s eyes glazed a bit. “I would like to help you avoid any pitfalls.”

Another gesture. “You want to tell me about the various people here, beginning with Constantine.”

“I should tell you about the people here. First there’s Constantine….”

Malik listened as Tamm spoke, making sure to feel and understand the dynamic that Tamm described. People lower on the totem pole often had a better view of things. Since they weren’t so high up in the game, they had a better understanding of the players and how they played.

Tamm spoke for a good while before Constantine finally returned.

Edited by Marcus DuBois, Jun 2 2014, 11:03 PM.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 05-27-2014, 05:55 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 05-28-2014, 12:59 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 05-31-2014, 09:16 AM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 06-02-2014, 01:11 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 06-03-2014, 06:43 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 06-05-2014, 11:27 AM