This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

The Greats
The claps of a hundred hands were amplified tenfold to Nikolai's senses. They echoed in the cavernous room like the beating of a million wings. Or more.

The proud smiles and well wishes of his guests carried him to the podium. There was a small platform, only two steps up, laid at the far end of the ballroom. A transparent fiberglass podium waited, dignified and beautiful in its presence. It served only the purpose of bearing the symbol of the Double Crescent on its front. Nikolai had no need of devices to transmit the words of the following speech.

He touched the thumb on his ring and the appropriate words scanned the interior of his eye.

As always, a small wave of nervousness fluttered through his chest. No matter how many speeches he'd delivered, there would always be a moment of hesitation in the back of his mind. Conquering it came more easily after decades of experience, and the victory was all the easier when the power of the universe flowed through him. That majestic force swept away worry, and he grew calmer as the storm raged within.

The words came smoothly.

"Greetings esteemed guests. First of all. I'd like to welcome you to my .. home."
The opening line was one that bowed under minutes of his consideration. To describe the Kremlin, the Grand Palace specifically, as his home conveyed a very significant attitude Nikolai took toward his capitol. In particular it was a complete lie. While the Kremlin technically was the place he resided; he did not consider it his home. He'd never invite such a crowd to dine in the most private of his personal space.

The decision was made and spoken. He moved on. "It is indeed my pleasure to have you favored-guests with me to celebrate our twenty-fifth­ Christmas in the Kremlin."
He ignored the borage of imagery that flashed through his mind. Of spiral hams and wrapping paper, stockings hung from the staircase, and his mother smiling gleefully.

A hint of somber nostalgia touched his voice, "Twenty-five years. Can you believe it? Some of you have been with me from the beginning."
His gaze swept immediately to Valentin Sulteev. The Privilege of the Central Dominance dipped his head in return. "Do you remember, Valentin? How much work we had ahead of us? When I suggested I run for the Presidency?"
The Privilege smiled his dignified, knowing smile and nodded. The people at his table swept awe-filled gazes his way. When Nikolai continued, the pendulum of his tone swung stern. "The previous century had seen our great nation collapse as a world power to a laughing stock: a den of corruption and chaos, and our economy anemic. Sick with parasites."

Nikolai spun ropes of power that splayed like netting over the heads of the ignorant. His voice amplified along with it. "We were sold a dream!"
and soon after faded quieter.

"How is the American Dream these days? Where is that proud and arrogant nation that thought it could tell the world how to live? Dying a slow, pitiful death. She slaps away the hand of peace and in doing so resists the order that we have brought to the world.

"Twenty-five years and I seized our motherland, sick and abused as she was, and nursed her to health. With your help,"

he swept a hand before him, "we shored up her weakness, destroyed those that would steal from her, and brought her security and prosperity.

He smiled a chill smile. "Twenty-five years can take a toll."
He swept a hand up and down the lean line of himself. "What do you think, Viktor?"
He glanced at his deputy-consular. "We were both young once, and now look at us."
He shared in the chuckle that erupted around him. Viktor was aged and gray. Nikolai strong and vibrant as ever.

"The CCD is the peak of human governance. All of you here today are both witnesses and participants in this great project. And I want you to know that I appreciate you. And the work you've done."
He paused to make eye-contact with several such adoring faces.

"The CCD is the envy of the world. Let me ask you: Did we have to conquer? Did we rush in and take country after country and add them to the Custody?"
He barked a wry laugh. "Did they not beg to be let in? Did they not do everything possible to be a part of our greatness?"

His arms spread wide, "We took them in! Gave them order, peace. Prosperity."
He lifted his chin, gazing down at more than one captain of industry in the room. "Prosperity has flowed in, hasn't it?"

He shook his head, "So then! Dominance V. What happened? We offer the world order and peace. So what was this disturbance Dominance V? I know you are wondering, those who don't know. Allow me to assure you of some facts."

He spoke gently as a father to his worried children. "This was not a war. This was not the people of DV rejecting the Custody they wished to join. This was not the people of DV seceding."
His voice slowly rose over the hum of questions that whispered like gossip between tables. His senses picked up more than one specific question. He fixed his gaze on a middle-aged man of asian descent of the banking industry.

"'What was it,' you ask?"
The man, Aki Bojing, blinked in surprise. Nikolai had overheard his whispered question that he would now answer.

"The triumph of ignorance! Of superstition! This was the work of one man, playing on the ignorance of a few misguided people. Young men, drunk on the stories of their fathers and grandfathers, eager to be a part of Jihad. The same old men that were desperate to relive the days when their world view mattered."

"Make no mistake! The temporary chaos that has erupted has been quelled! Order has restored.

"Mister Al-Rahji has already begun the process, and I have instructed the Consulars of Communication and that of Propaganda to begin to implement additional steps in DV."

He shook his head disappointed in the land's behavior, "It's time all of DV enter the mid-21st century."

"Allow me to remind you. The region that is DV has been a cauldron of problems for three-thousand years! Bombings. Endless fighting. Broken ceasefires.

"At any given time, some sort of violence was occurring there.

"And yet, in the short time they have been part in my Custody, how many bombings has their been? How many airplanes crashed? Or buildings brought down?"

He stood straight and proud. "HOW MANY?"

He saw more than one mouth form the word. "That's right. None. Not until now. Are we surprised that a man, still feeding from the ignorance and hate of millenia, would be able to stir up such remaining feelings among the older generations and herald it to the younger? Of course not.

So we will take the youth from them! Not literally."

He raised his hands amid a few bouts of laughter. "The CCD is going to take concerted steps to help the newer generations learn from the foolishness of their fathers and grandfathers. They will see the prosperity that comes from being an adult nation, not a nation of infants throwing a temper tantrum. It is easy to forget the pains of your past after twenty-five years of comfort.

The derision in his tone grew grave. "Unfortunately, we have to acknowledge that some lives were lost. We honor those who gave their lives to save so many. But we also honor those who gave of themselves and survived. One of those men is here tonight."
His gaze swept immediately to a single man seated at his table. The attention of the room followed. "Commander Michael Vellas. His valiant actions in DV saved the lives of thousands. Even in the face of great evil, he refused to cow, and came out from the midst of that storm emerged relatively unscathed. Ladies and Gentlemen, Michael Vellas."
He lifted his hand and the room followed, standing to offer him their applause. Nikolai joined them in a few claps.

"I mentioned the new generations in DV, but we are not just concerned about the newer generations in that region, but also of the world. We have our own youth and the CCD is continuing to invest time and money into giving the youths of our great nation every chance possible. Those opportunities range from extra schooling to scholarships and internships in the highest programs.

But there is one program in particular that bears special mention. Every third year, the CCD Sigma program considers tens-of-thousands of applicants and from the finalist, I hand-select only one. I see several Alum of the program tonight."

He paused to make eye-contact with two individuals. "And you have gone on to do extraordinary things."

"So tonight, I am very pleased to introduce the newest inductee into the Sigma program. Please join me in welcoming, Marcus DuBois."

He allowed Marcus to stand and bow for the room's applause as well. The power raged through Nikolai's soul, and with it, was borne the winds of dry humor. "We'll forgive him his American birth. After all, some Americans do eventually see reason."
The joke was on himself, of course. It was that Nikolai himself was American, as revealed in the interview with Nicholas Trano.

"We are pleased that he is part of our program and that we can be part of his education. We expect great things from him. He will serve our nation well."

He could sense his time was coming to an end. "I will only say a few more things and then I'll let you get to eating and drinking. I know some of you want to continue discussing important issues. Scion,"
he addressed the patriarch of the Marveet empire, "I know that you are still looking to procure companionship for the evening and the night is not getting any younger."
Laughter erupted. No few in the room were aware of Scion's reputation.

"Once again, let's stop and realize what tonight is and represents. We have had a quarter century of unparalleled grown and prosperity. We are the envy of the world. Even the nations that hate us, look to us for everything."
He lifted his gaze as though addressing the universe itself.

"We are the greatest nation to ever have existed- AND WE DID IT IN A QUARTER CENTURY! What do you think we can do in the next twenty-five years?! One-hundred?? FIVE-hundred!"

"The CCD now stands the threshold of a new world. We are blazing the way. I am glad you are on the journey with me. From now and throughout the annals of history, the CCD will stand out among the greats- as one of the greatest. They will speak of the dynasties of Egypt, the Kings of Babylon, and Empire of Rome. AND THEY WILL SPEAK OF THE ASCENDANCY OF THE CCD!"

He felt the eyes of his audience burn through him. His expression remained impassive and dignified as the Arcus Band circling his skull like a crown.

"So raise your glasses, raise them high. Honor the CCD! Honor your Ascendancy.

To the future!!"

He lifted his glass. The room took to their feet, cheering.

His hands lowered to his sides. With a small smile, he touched the ring and the speech faded from his vision.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 06-22-2014, 11:05 AM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 06-22-2014, 01:54 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 06-22-2014, 02:30 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 06-22-2014, 03:14 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 06-22-2014, 04:24 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 06-22-2014, 04:56 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 06-22-2014, 05:45 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 06-22-2014, 06:41 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 06-22-2014, 07:58 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 06-23-2014, 06:14 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 06-23-2014, 03:26 PM