This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

A New Era
Praised by a twenty-three year old. Nikolai had never been so honored.

He kept the terse thought to himself while Michael shared his feelings.

Granted, Nikolai was thin of mood this day. It was amazing he'd held up as well as he had. Mere days following the disaster in DV and he was entertaining diplomats and reporters on one hand and dueling with generals and mobs on the other. Most of these issues simmered below the surface, both his own personal reaction and from all knowledge of the public, but the day was coming, when like Michael's display on camera, certain resolutions would come to light. The Propaganda office had their hands full, but even they could only spin what Nikolai's creativity could dream. Tired and irritated by the inconsequential results of his presence in DV, when in all times past had tangibly served his purposes, he was in a cool mood to deal with Michael's personal impressions of him.

The boy held his gaze. He'd already proven himself brave, no doubt a strength enhanced by his abilities to manipulate the fabric of the universe. "You think there's anything about you I don't already know?"
He said forthright. Nik settled into the folds of his seat. He was surrounded by the backdrop seen on the world's televisions. His desk was filled with workable documents, albeit minimized for the moment. He was without his suit jacket, and thus only in a shirt and tie, but the man who would rule the world was fixed, at this very moment, on a young man that.. apparently.. didn't trust him.

Michael held an air of expectation, and Nikolai heard him clearly, but there was more to his needs than to connect man to man. He was worried, but of what? Of betrayal? Nikolai knew that bitter taste. Perhaps he had not understood the empathy when he'd revealed his arm. Of the Atharim? Nikolai protected himself against their regime for forty years, surely Michael could fathom the lengths he reached to keep them at bay. Michael clearly did not like him, but for what reason, Nikolai could not say. Was it a problem? For his part, no.

"Allow me to explain. There are many people in this world I do not trust, but if I did not trust you to some extent, I would not be alone with you right now. Nor would I meet you without the appropriate shield."
He waved the idea away.

"But this does not mean we cannot be of mutual benefit. I need a talented man of the military and you need an ally against the Atharim."
He searched the young man's stern expression. "No. You want more than escape from their grasp. Isolationism is not your way."
Nik thought for a moment. In that regard, they were both alike. Seclusion sat ill with him as well, but he endured for ten years until forced upon the world's stage.

"So what do you want in exchange for this work? Merely the satisfaction that you'll know its done right because you are the one in charge?"
Nikolai asked with all seriousness despite the seemingly flippant nature of the question.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 07-03-2014, 09:12 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 07-05-2014, 04:51 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 07-06-2014, 03:18 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 07-06-2014, 07:24 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 07-06-2014, 08:06 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 07-06-2014, 09:20 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 07-06-2014, 10:05 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 07-07-2014, 06:06 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 07-08-2014, 06:46 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 07-09-2014, 06:17 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 07-09-2014, 06:58 PM