This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

A New Era
Michael listened to the General and Commissioner with interest now that they had livened up and started talking. He dismissed both Nikolai and the Commissioner's mention of the Facility. He did not know what it was, but Nikolai had not felt it prudent to explain, so Michael filed it away without reaction, another thing to ask the man in private. He would not stick his hands down a snake hole, nor would he reveal his own ignorance in such matters, damaging his credibility.

When the Commissioner ended, Michael immediately took to the questions now that he had determined Nikolai wanted him to speak for himself. Why, only the man himself knew, but it was a challenge he did not shirk from. "I shall first address the Commissioner's questions. The answer is simple. There is no other option for these men. I know from experience, people live keeping this ability a secret their whole lives. What would be the public response to such powers? What about the government? I stand here before you because I chose to reveal myself for a cause I deemed worthy. Others fear being outcast or sentenced to death. Give them a place that is secure."

"It is also extremely dangerous trying to use this power without guidance. People have died making mistakes. Unlike conventional military men, however, these people have no choice. They must learn or die."

He paused and nodded to the Commissioner. "I acknowledge the fact that not all men are capable of being soldiers. We can assess their capabilities as they learn and decide who is suitable for active service. Not unlike conventional military structures, there are other uses that our power can be used for. For example, one can amplify or suppress sound, it is possible to tend to wounds. These non-combat abilities can be used domestically to the Custody's benefit."

He was loath to point it out, but he would not lose this opportunity, the damage the Atharim could do outweighed this. "At the very least, those who are not capable of service are at least monitored and safe within the Custody's borders."

At that he turned to the Borodin. "To answer your concern, General, I speak frankly. Nobody but one who knows this power is capable of understanding and using it effectively. As for potential enemies; this power is not confined to the Custody, General. Al-Hasan's 'miracles' are a product of this power. The outspoken Mr. Trano I know for a fact can use this power. If our enemies do not know of this power - they will soon."
He held up a hand. "However, I do not suggest we parade our plans. All involved would be done with the uttermost caution. However, I cannot advise placing this force under another in the same way you would not place the command of a naval force under the Airforce. The results would be far more disastrous."
"She saw a flaring halo around his head, radiant in gold and blue. It shouted of glory and power to come"
"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 07-03-2014, 09:12 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 07-05-2014, 04:51 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 07-06-2014, 03:18 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 07-06-2014, 07:24 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 07-06-2014, 08:06 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 07-06-2014, 09:20 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 07-06-2014, 10:05 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 07-07-2014, 06:06 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 07-08-2014, 06:46 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 07-09-2014, 06:17 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 07-09-2014, 06:58 PM