This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

The Corner
The man on the bench who so eloquently summed up Marcus' own feelings turned to him and addressed him by name.

His time at the Kremlin put him in close contact with two kinds of people. Those quisling career bureaucrats who curried favor with whomever they thought could help them along, ready to stab anyone in the back at the drop of a hat. These sycophants were pathetic in their attempts to get into ones good graces. And then there were those powerful men and women who were equally ambitious, if not more so- one did not arrive at the Kremlin without a heart healthy and full of ambition- and would also stab anyone in the back the moment they felt it to their advantage. The difference was, of course, they would not lower themselves as they did it. Pride.

This man exuded something that was similar, though only time would show if it was real or a facade. In any case, the man's comment deserved a response. It had made him laugh after all.

He adopted a casual manner, but not overly friendly, especially given the subject matter. Of course, he would be careful. Marveet wouldn't be disappearing any time soon and he did have clout.

He smirked with a short grunt and allowed the disappointment he'd felt that night to color his words. "The one time I met him in person....no, I was not impressed. I expected more from him. Or rather, I did not expect such weakness. I was disappointed."
And that was as far as he would go.

He looked down the path at the now distant figures of the two men whose conversation had triggered this meeting. "Those two are fools, however. Functionaries can be replaced very easily. And if their discovery- and its embarrassing implications- gets to Marveet's ears, that will happen I am sure."

He looked back at the man and smiled in a friendly manner. "You know my name. And I know we've not met. You don't have the look of anyone on staff either. You are?"

Edited by Marcus DuBois, May 7 2016, 07:26 PM.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 04-25-2016, 03:45 PM
[No subject] - by Hood - 05-04-2016, 01:04 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 05-05-2016, 12:19 PM
[No subject] - by Hood - 05-05-2016, 03:50 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 05-06-2016, 10:55 AM
[No subject] - by Hood - 05-06-2016, 04:31 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 05-07-2016, 07:25 PM
[No subject] - by Hood - 05-08-2016, 11:03 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 05-10-2016, 04:37 PM
[No subject] - by Hood - 05-16-2016, 06:47 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 06-10-2016, 04:12 PM