This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Don't Sweat the Technique
Marcus suppressed the brief twinge of pride that surged up. Not that pride was wrong. No emotions were wrong. It was the greatest truth- the truth that truly set people free- to realize that no emotions were wrong. They all were to be enjoyed.

At the right time. And Marcus would not allow himself to be lured by any desire to indulge those feelings. He put on an embarrassed smile. "You flatter me, Dr. Zayed. While I am not ignorant of the field of quantum physics, nor of the required maths, I am not an expert. I confess I had to reread your paper numerous times to truly understand what you were postulating."

And now, this was where they would begin in true. The dance of revealing. He steepled his fingers and studied her with a curious gaze. "This new force you've discovered. From what I gather, it permeates everywhere and yet its action is only with a very narrow distance, very much like the strong nuclear force. And unlike gravity. The strong nuclear force makes atoms possible. Its existence, once discovered, cannot be ignored. This new force, given its similarity....how do you see it manifesting itself to the larger world?"

"It already exists. As far as manifestation of a new force, it's less about how it interacts with the rest of the world and more of how it interacts with all the other Forces. For once we learn that, we can manipulate it."

He nodded. "True enough."
He hesitated. This was the difficulty. Theoretical physicists, for all their desire to understand the universe, sometimes did not see the true application of their work. Oppenheimer and Feynman learned the lesson well. A mind filled with theoreticals, never considering what it really meant, in the real world.

In this case, however, he decided he didn't want a dupe. Understanding the true ramifications could lead to better work. This wasn't the Manhatten Project. Not yet, anyway.

He slipped his hand into his pocket and pulled out the metallic ball. Idly, he played with. It held his attention as he spoke. "Your Bose-Einstein condensate equations were most interesting to me. They seemed familiar. I am curious how you derived them."
Before he let her answer, he pulled another sheet, those containing the eignevector, in knot form, of the "twistiness" of his tau algebra. "I ask, because they seem related to this."
He handed her the sheet.

"I'm not saying that there aren't applications to the work. I mean, ultimately, all of physics aims to understand the world we live in and make it better...."
She curiously watched what he retrieved. First the little silver ball. It looked like a shiny marble. Then the paper. She cocked her head to one side and laid the offering in her lap. The codes of linear algebra were familiar to her, although she didn't necessarily work with them herself very often. They drilled her on them in grad school, though. Her answer was distant, speaking as though as a side-note. She was rather distracted, after all, by the work before her.

"I derived them in the lab. Trial and error, if you can imagine. The constants were the problem in the original work. They were orders of magnitude too large. I discovered the opposite constant that results in a nearly net cancellation of each other. Then the math worked. Did you do this?"
She held up the paper, eyes meeting his with a mixture of disbelief and curiosity.

He smiled, self deprecatingly. "I have my hobbies, along other lines."
He leaned forward, allowing himself to show the excitement that threaded through him. Why, he wasn't sure. "What struck me was that your Bose-Einstein condensate equations seems to mimic these. Not the same, of course. They seem related, perhaps like languages. But similar enough that I thought we should meet."

He paused, holding her eye, letting her see the portent of what he was about to reveal. "I derived my work from the study of channeling. Specifically, how the..."
he was going to say Force, but held back. That was his affectation alone- "...power channelers use can be woven, for lack of a better word."

He waited to see if she understood the implication of what he was saying. Strangely, he felt excited. This was an area no one had ever been permitted to peer in to.

Danika blinked, not grasping at first what he was trying to say. The Consul wrote these equations? He had to have some kind of formal training, but nothing in his biographies described anything like it. Her head dropped back down. She wasn't fresh enough in linear algebra to simply look at the numbers and grasp their full implication. Let alone compare the outcomes of their two bodies of work. But intriguing was not the word to describe her growing excitement.

When he uttered the word channelers, her heart thought it was going to stop. Her jaw dropped. "Are you saying you're--?

Marcus smiled, a real, open mouthed smile and laughed good naturedly, his chest resonating with his chuckles. There was not an ounce of condescension in it. "Being a channeler is kind of a prerequisite for being Consul of the Consulate of Channelers."
His smile was friendly and completely guileless.

Edited by Marcus DuBois, Oct 26 2017, 09:02 PM.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 08-11-2017, 06:04 PM
[No subject] - by Danika - 08-16-2017, 03:45 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 08-17-2017, 12:05 PM
[No subject] - by Danika - 10-19-2017, 09:29 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 10-25-2017, 05:40 PM
[No subject] - by Danika - 10-26-2017, 07:52 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 10-26-2017, 09:02 PM
[No subject] - by Danika - 10-30-2017, 08:44 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 10-31-2017, 07:38 PM
[No subject] - by Danika - 11-02-2017, 07:44 PM
[No subject] - by Jensen James - 11-05-2017, 08:20 PM