This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

The proverbial choice
A day when soldiers were no longer needed was coming.

Al Janyar was one of the dozen groups with enough momentum to make it into the Ascendancy's regular international briefing. So far the group was being monitored, but little intervention had been undertaken on their part. Northeast Africa bordered too close to DV to dismiss altogether. The middle east and north Africa were cousins in world economics. Prior to the decimation of the area's oil reserves, petroleum and propane were the primary exports, targeting mostly China, the US, and large swaths of the CCD, particularly former India. Jacques was completely correct. Despite the historical instability in the region, there was great economic potential. Nikolai exploited the potential in DV, thus far, which was evidenced by the relative peace, prosperity and human rights advancements in the region. Africa, however, remained untouched by his hand. "You need an ally,"
he began. Jacques saw first hand that DV wasn't perfect, but the majority of the unrest was laid at the feet of one man. If Africa advanced only half of what the Dominance achieved, Jacques would be pleased.

The region always had a high potential value in terms of commercial and CCD foreign policy interests, especially in economic development, supported through enhanced trade and investment ties, have been traditionally viewed as the most effective means of advancing CCD goals for peace and stability in the region.

His attention was sharply focused on the list of needs Jacques generated. The CCD generally maintained international military presences, even including the supplying of arms to various African countries. That trade could shift to the Legion, instead. Rather than providing the military financing as currently stood, they could reroute the investments in military exercises, research, and weapons development to their partner, the Legion. If Jacques agreed to terms of partnership, of course. The economic support provided by trade and investment in the region would prevent further poverty and instability, undermining the foundations in which bred militancy, political violence, extremism and hostility. Jacques command at Mecca already impressed Nikolai once. After meeting the young man, he was further impressed.

"Africa remains significant in CCD economic and foreign policy. You're well aware that the CCD economy is nearly invulnerable to political and economic upheavals, and I could provide further freedom in pursuing economic and strategic activities in Africa if I chose to. Long-term, these countries need to shift to more manufacturing and other non-resource intensive activities. Many central countries remain largely out of the main trade flows. Let me tell you a story I recently heard myself.

"Accra, Ghana, a man named Solomon had been in the pineapple business for twenty years. He sold pineapples for juices and salads. Some of the fruit is sold domestically, but most is exported to Berlin, Paris, and Rome as well as their neighboring regions. He had 100 people working for him at one point in time. Last year, they exported 3,000 tones of pineapples, which was actually significantly reduced due to low rainfall that year and decreased the crop yield. Over all, business had been as good as could be expected these twenty years, with his company growing at a steady pace.

"Yet, despite the growth of his business, trade and export over all became much more complicated as time passed. Control meant to crack down on illicit trade at ports among other industries impacted his pineapples, which were time-sensitive and subject to rot. For instance, at the Accra airport, Solomon must arrive with his pineapple shipment in person. Yet the traffic on Ghana's highways is volatile. Government authorities have "check-points" at multiple sites along the route, and every time the physical goods must be checked, scanned, and usually paid additional "fees" to pass just to get to the airport. Arriving at the seaports on time is just as difficult, if not more so, for missing a ship's departure could result in the over-ripening and ruination of an entire crop of pineapples. Any delay is a huge blow to his company. So things were difficult, but doable.

"Until last year. Ghana's government began to demand higher fees for check-points. Conflict among domestic policies delayed transport of all goods, but perishables were most vulnerable. In a year of low rainfall, the cost of pineapples increased already, adding in the loss of perishable goods stuck in check-points at seaports and airports, and Solomon's pineapple company was bankrupt by the end of the year. Twenty years of growth undone by government squabbling. Rome, Berlin and Paris now get their pineapples from Costa Rica. Solomon now drives a truck to make a living.

"That's just simple economics, Jacques. Inefficiencies, costs, even the loss of internet signal and a textile exporter in Kenya can't book a shipping container for three days and loses a deal with Hong Kong because of it, or else pay for air-lifting out of their own pocket. Add in the complication of warring governments, civil unrest, outright violence and warfare, and blood-thirsty channelers and it's no wonder the continent can't escape this dark fate.

"We need to intervene, Jacques. It's time. You've already begun. All the things you suggested would do nothing but help the region, but manufacturing, jobs, trade and safety will not come until the corruption is rooted out, the in-fighting ceased, and the land unified.

"You can do all that but not without help. You need strike fighters, attack helicopters, surveillance and strike drones, ammunition. You said you're not in the CCD to ask for such things, but you're sitting in front of me now and I am telling you I am willing to see you acquire what you need.

"I only ask for allegiance in return.

"I can see you get the money you need for your vaccines, books for your schools, food for the starving, water purifers for the underdeveloped.

"I can also see that you get the teacher you need. If you agree, I'll send Commander Vellas to your channelers. You've seen his work first hand. If necessary, i can go myself."

He smiled slightly at that idea. "I've been able to channel for decades, yet I have never used my power to conquer. I won't use it now, either. You can trust my aspirations in that regard.

"I only ask for allegiance in return."

He was calm, and waited patiently for Jacques to come to the most logical conclusion. It was rather inevitable. He knew what Jacques would say. He could practically feel the winds of destiny dancing through the air.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 11-06-2017, 10:49 PM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 11-09-2017, 09:33 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 11-10-2017, 11:21 PM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 11-20-2017, 11:09 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 12-02-2017, 07:13 PM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 01-05-2018, 05:29 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-05-2018, 08:17 PM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 01-09-2018, 07:04 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-10-2018, 09:00 PM