This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

The proverbial choice
"All valid reasons to be in Moscow."
He replied. Although despite what Jacques implied by his latter statement, such commodities were likely to be at their best price when approaching their Moscow headquarters. In such a large city, competition was fierce. Markets existed on every scale of production: mass-manufacturing provided inexpensive goods while some specialty orders could be achieved at any price. In fact, Nikolai almost joked that the Legion could afford it, but without knowing Jacques better, he couldn't be sure how it would be taken. Best to remain on formal terms until then.

Back to the point at hand. Nikolai was not a capitalist pig. His parents even took him to church as a child. Or, his mother did. His father usually worked on Sunday mornings. With the family out of the house, and fewer distractions, the hours were some of the most productive on a weekend. So Nikolai was at least aware of the value of charity. What was more important than good intent, however, was fostering an economic atmosphere where successful corporations could venture into philanthropy if desired. Perhaps even fostering an atmosphere of peer pressure, generated through social media and public awareness campaigns. When a business was overly generous with their profits, their apparent use of good charity attracted more business, generating a positive cycle that improved the bottom line and public welfare simultaneously. Of course, that required the underlying pressure from society. Nikolai himself would never force a private entity to use their funds for a specific agenda. Not that there weren't pressures. Agenda ran both directions.

Which brought Nikolai around with a smile to put Jacques at ease. He laced his fingers across his lap, "Well why don't you tell me what your biggest requirements are and we can perhaps work something out. I'm not going to say I find myself to be the one destined to save the world, especially if it does not want me to, but you and I know something about the world it does not even know about itself. You have the ability to see the greater good -- what do I call you, by the way? Do you prefer Commander Danjou? Mister Danjou? Or plain Jacques? -- You have the ability to see the greater good, a long-term vision. A project you seem to have concocted already. I'm curious about your vision. If you come seeking technology and medicines, things to improve public health and social welfare, I am inclined to think those are your priorities. Is that the case? Is your priority the public health and welfare of Africa? Or is it something bigger? Something more--"
he paused, considering his words.

Then the smile slipped into something more noble.

"--something more everlasting?"

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 11-06-2017, 10:49 PM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 11-09-2017, 09:33 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 11-10-2017, 11:21 PM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 11-20-2017, 11:09 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 12-02-2017, 07:13 PM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 01-05-2018, 05:29 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-05-2018, 08:17 PM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 01-09-2018, 07:04 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-10-2018, 09:00 PM