This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Traitors
Michael dismissed Rykovi and al'Shaddis as soon as Nikolai gestured for him to follow in private. It was no surprise to him that Nikolai had sought him out. He himself had given the Ascendancy enough information strewn into the conversation that hinted at his knowledge of the events that had transpired in the Kremlin.

Curiously, the hatred he felt almost involuntarily when he was in the same room as Nikolai faded to nothing more than a distant throb. Perhaps it was the fact that they shared a united belief for once in their acquaintanceship.

They walked through the halls, staff eyeing them then quickly darting out of the way. Nikolai talked. Michael listened. It was almost...peaceful.

Michael resisted the urge to raise a questioning eyebrow when Nikolai actually thanked him. Whatever had happened that night must have shaken him; badly.

Instead he simply nodded sharply. "It had to be done. You will be pleased to know that our men fought well. Several sustained serious injury but there were no casualties. Two of the cultists were captured. I ordered them placed in an induced coma guarded at the Facility. I thought that you may wish to have them questioned. Perhaps they can also be rehabilitated and trained to serve the people instead of killing them."

Indeed, all seemed to be going well. Michael did not once have the urge to destroy the man. That was until he mentioned the Atharim.

The fury in Nikolai's voice was palpable. Michael grit his teeth, the flickers of rage subdued in icy control. "You let him in,"
he stated flatly. "Our absence provided this...Regus,"
he spat the word, "with an opening. Bait. A good plan."

It was one he may have conceived himself. Although his instinct screamed that Nikolai's plan was foolishly dangerous, he was capable of handling these Atharim with the number of men Michael had seen slain. None could have foreseen the presence of an Ijiraq.

The name made him shiver. He thought he could almost sense fear in Nikolai's voice. As well it should be; only a fool would not be afraid of that thing.

Michael nodded slowly. "I have encountered one of the creatures before. Although I did not know it at the time, it was the creature of mist that I reported to you from the Jedda Campaign."

"It nearly killed me twice before I drove it away,"
he suppressed a shudder, locking eyes with Nikolai. "Aria told me of them. They feed on the Ascendant Power. Each time they feed on one of us, they grow stronger. al'Hasan's followers had been disappearing. I found it strange, but thought nothing of it. Now I see that the Ijiraq is to blame."

"That the Atharim have managed to harness one of them..."
he thought of the repercussions of such a thing. "There are few things that phase me, Ascendancy,"
he said, his voice intent and his eyes as hard as diamond. "but the Ijiraq is a creature I dread."

"I saw the remnants of your battle and the corpse. I do not believe this Regus could harness an Ijiraq of great strength. The one I faced in Jedda...It taunted me. I could feel it's contempt. I may be wrong, but I believe it prudent to act as if the one that the Atharim harnessed was weakened."

"They are drawn to our Power. More will come, of that I am sure. When they do, we must work together. It galls me to admit, but should a fully strengthened Ijiraq attack, neither of us could face it alone."

Edited by Michael Vellas, Jan 18 2018, 02:22 AM.
"She saw a flaring halo around his head, radiant in gold and blue. It shouted of glory and power to come"
"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Evelyn - 01-01-2018, 09:40 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-02-2018, 03:07 PM
[No subject] - by Evelyn - 01-08-2018, 11:03 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 01-09-2018, 02:21 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-10-2018, 10:25 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 01-11-2018, 11:37 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-11-2018, 08:29 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 01-12-2018, 09:04 AM
[No subject] - by Evelyn - 01-13-2018, 08:41 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-15-2018, 08:50 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 01-16-2018, 01:26 AM