This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Traitors
Michael listened to the puffed up Secretary with a stoic calm. The man's attitude was almost as bad as an Atharim's, but so long as Nikolai wanted him alive, Michael hid his disdain.

He almost laughed at the suggestion that the Trano fellow and this Avalon woman were enough to keep a nation full of Ascendants in check. By all accounts Trano was an idealist. Not the kind of man that would do what needed to be done.

It was true, Michael wished for more freedom for the Ascendants, but he was not fool enough to think that their power did not corrupt. Fellows like Andlain and his ilk would sprout like weeds, and no amount of good will would save the innocent civilians from their destructive force.

Fortunately, Nikolai spoke before he had to answer the foolish American diplomat, but his words were almost as unbelievable. It was in that moment that Michael realised he was doing the right thing. Nikolai might be a loathsome man with delusions of grandeur, but for once Michael agreed wholeheartedly. This...demilitarisation was foolish in the extreme. Who would protect the citizens when roving bands of Ascendants decided to set fire to cities?

His rage controlled with glacial calm, Michael said nothing. He doubted Nikolai would agree to such terms. For all his faults, he was far too practical. "I see,"
he said in a deliberate tone. "I have been a supporter, as you know, Ascendancy, of using the Ascendant Power for humanitarian purposes. Healing, building along with that which we no doubt will discover."

'Advocate' was one word for it at least. Michael had no talent in any of those areas, but one of his conditions for training the Ascendants *was* that they were not solely war machines.

"I will defer to the Ascendancy and the Custody in whatever decision they make. However, I must agree with the Ascendancy. I would not suggest military powers,"
he lied. He damn well would suggest it, for the good of all of them against the Atharim and monsters like the Ijiraq. "Yet it would be prudent to have a policing force which can apprehend rouge Ascendants so they do not cause any harm."

Michael shrugged, sinking into his black coat as he glanced at the people gathered around the room. "But that is not my place to decide. I promise that this meeting will be secured with my Ascendants. You will all be safe to decide whatever you wish."
"She saw a flaring halo around his head, radiant in gold and blue. It shouted of glory and power to come"
"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Evelyn - 01-01-2018, 09:40 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-02-2018, 03:07 PM
[No subject] - by Evelyn - 01-08-2018, 11:03 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 01-09-2018, 02:21 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-10-2018, 10:25 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 01-11-2018, 11:37 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-11-2018, 08:29 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 01-12-2018, 09:04 AM
[No subject] - by Evelyn - 01-13-2018, 08:41 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-15-2018, 08:50 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 01-16-2018, 01:26 AM