This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Traitors
Evelyn circled slowly around to pour a glass of water. She let Sofia carry on while she sipped the water. She sunk all her thoughts into the glass, and refused to allow herself to become flustered. Sofia, meanwhile, was truly enraged like Evelyn had offended her personally.

"I saw you with my own eyes, Evelyn. Do you deny it?"
Sofia snapped. A storm brewed behind her eyes. It would be foolish to deny what Sofia clearly saw for herself. The story was too preposterous to simply invent. Besides, it was true. It took all her will power to keep herself from blushing, let alone lose her composure. She took another sip of water and sat down like they were having a friendly chat.

"No, I don't deny what you saw. We kissed, but nothing else happened."
At least, nothing happened physically. She pushed the memory of his heat against hers away, and banished the image of his silhouette in the glowing lights from her mind. Evelyn grit her teeth and forced her voice to ice. "What I do deny is being a traitor, and I am deeply offended that you should accuse me of something so heinous after we have worked together so long."

Sofia scoffed that Evelyn could possibly attempt an accusatory tone herself. "If you're not a traitor then you're either a besotted girl or you're seducing him, in which case, you'd still be a silly girl. I thought more of you, Evelyn."
She crossed her arms defensively.

A moment of panic tried to overtake her mind. She had no excuse for what Sofia saw other than pure lust. Their chemistry had been electric. She barely slept with the thrill on the edge of her mind. This looked very, very bad. Either she was a silly girl or she was a traitor. There was no other explanation. She could claim to be neither. To do so would ruin her.

Then a moment of anger crept in. Evelyn was a Congresswoman. To levy these kinds of charges were criminal. When Sofia was Evelyn's age, she had barely graduated college and still worked as an unpaid Washington intern. Evelyn's story made history. She had addressed both Houses of Congress, the President, and the American People at a junior rank. She wielded the powers of God. She was his chosen servant. And Nikolai Brandon was in love with her. She earned more respect.

Her voice sharpened. "Who are you to charge me with treason, Sofia? You want to know what happened between us? He opened up to me about channeling, just as I said he would. He saw me as an equal when he sees the rest of Washington as beneath him."
She lifted a brow and stood calmly. "We are adults. Adults attracted to one another. That was all. You understand the difference between mere infatuation and simple passion. He's attractive and when he kissed me, I kissed him back. Don't tell me you wouldn't do otherwise?"
The hint of a smile touched her frosty lips as the two women silently gauged one another. Evelyn did not break her gaze. She refused to yield her ground. There was another choice. She was neither a besotted silly girl nor was she a traitor. She was an adult capable of choosing her lovers like any other.

Finally, Sofia's hardened heart fractured just a little bit. Evelyn saw the crack and poured herself into it. "I am still a member of the Foreign Relations Committee. I still want to leave this city with an agreement in hand that states he will not weaponize channelers. I am still an American."
She lifted her chin and waited expectantly.

Edited by Evelyn, Jan 8 2018, 11:10 PM.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Evelyn - 01-01-2018, 09:40 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-02-2018, 03:07 PM
[No subject] - by Evelyn - 01-08-2018, 11:03 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 01-09-2018, 02:21 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-10-2018, 10:25 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 01-11-2018, 11:37 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-11-2018, 08:29 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 01-12-2018, 09:04 AM
[No subject] - by Evelyn - 01-13-2018, 08:41 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-15-2018, 08:50 PM