This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Traitors
The night passed all too quickly.

With this new, powerful ally at his side, the hours were devoted to outlining a plan. The original documents were pulled for a side-by-side comparison, and he meticulously detailed the steps needing to be undertaken. The plan hinged on two people. The risk was enormous. Extraneous flaws, emotions, and unpredictability came into play now. From now on, the game would oscillate between himself, Evelyn and Jacques. Each formed a pyramid under which were a huge expansion of powers at play. Jacques had his causes, honor, and men influencing his decisions. Evelyn had her reputation, friendships, and love to shape her. While Nikolai himself, true to his self-analytical ways, was shaped by his own ambitions, hunger, and prejudices. He had to be careful that they were not getting the best of him. Each step from here on out had to be calculated, cool, and careful.

Dressed and showered, Nikolai was cut as cleanly as possible when he began his day. Alric walked alongside him as they proceeded to the EoA offices. His most trusted bodyguard, Alric was the first channeler he found beyond himself. Nikolai personally saved the man's life by teaching him to control and master the power before it killed him. Alric was unique in that regard. All the others were trained by Michael for good reason. Nikolai kept Alric's channeling a secret. The body guard was his personal shadow, yes, but not even the other Barrier Preator agents knew of his abilities. Neither did Marcus, as a matter of fact. It was a sort of fail-safe that after Regus attacked Nikolai would never be without. While Nikolai resided in the Kremlin, Alric did take off-duty hours, such as during the previous evening. It was deemed after the Regus' attack that the Kremlin was impenetrable now, and thus, Nikolai should be safest here. Public appearances, however, and trips beyond the red walls would mean Alric's presence. Besides, the two were something of friends.

"Some rumors are circling around the Kremlin that you and a certain woman had a rendezvous last night."
He remarked off-hand.

Nikolai hadn't thought about it, although now that he recalled, the general nighttime Kremlin staff had filtered in and out of his presence last evening. Such persons employed within so prestigious a place, whether they cleaned the toilets or delivered public broadcasts, were carefully screened. Upholding the Ascendancy's privacy was one of their foremost charges.

Anticipating Nikolai's ire, Alric went on. "I am sure they mean nothing by it, Excellency. Tales of your love life is something of a rarity. It's pure curiosity."

Nik frowned, but he nodded. Alric's argument made some sense. He wouldn't retaliate, but the message should be reinforced that his private life was off-limits for discussion. Gone were the days he was able to reside in the privacy of the President's Mansion out in the Golden Ring. He missed it.

"I want you and every other Barrier Preator agent to know that Evelyn Avalon is to be your second priority after myself. She is more valuable to me than all the Consuls, all the Privileges, and all the pillars of dominion combined."
He commanded.

"It will be as you say, Excellency."
He acknowledged with a slim smile. The beautiful American was the one featured in the rumors as having Ascendancy's attentions, nay, his passions the previous night. "She will be second. Is this to be the order for the duration of her stay?"

Nikolai nodded. As he already predicted, she would need to return to US soil eventually. There, he could not protect her as easily. Nor would he part with Alric to give him the task. Michael would have to do, but then again, after all the considerations throughout the night, Nikolai had an alternate task for Michael. The question became, assign Michael to Evelyn or task him to work with Jacques? Thus came the factor of unpredictability. Jacques' agreement to the plan would shape such a decision.

He had other news to update Alric. "I am hosting a ball on Saturday as a benefit. I have allowed openings for three-hundred guests. Of course, with each ticket purchased in advance, every individual must be screened and any suspicious patterns will eliminate their spot. Surveillance will be all the extra busy these next few days conducting their searches. I don't want a terrorist channeler to slip in among the crowd. The Atharim don't use channelers as weapons, so I do not anticipate a problem with them. It would be a rogue acting independently, or perhaps sent as covert operations from the States. In addition to yourself, Michael and his team of Ascendants will all be on duty. As will Marcus."

"And what about Evelyn?"
Alric added.

"What about her?"
Nik asked.

"She's a channeler too. She can play a role."

He suppressed the instinct to snap, and actually gave Alric's question some thought. His immediate ire quickly faded. She could channel. Though now that Nikolai considered it, he had no understanding of her potential abilities. So far she demonstrated minor uses, and Nikolai flat out sensed nothing from her. "This is a problem, in that when I am around Evelyn, I sense nothing of her powers. A woman that could channel may be among us at any moment and we potentially would not know until it's too late. I will speak with Marcus and task him to research it. I want to know if there is a way to track them as we track each other. Meanwhile, I will discuss the idea with her. I need to learn more about what the women can do compared to us."
At the very least, she could act as a sensor, a warning for any impending female channelers in their presence, but he refused to put her in danger to do so.

They reached one of the state rooms where an antique dining table was formally set. Nikolai followed Alric inside, and two additional Barrier guards joined them. The Secretary of State was already waiting. Arnold Francis stood from his cup of coffee. "Thank you for joining me early this morning, Secretary."
Nikolai greeted him with a firm handshake. He took a cup of espresso for himself.

The Secretary nodded, "Of course, Ascendancy. What did you wish to speak about?"

Nik gestured that they both sit. "Out of respect, I wanted to tell you something first and in person, before it was announced publically. I have been inspired to hold a fundraiser to benefit infrastructure and medical needs in Africa. It will be hosted this Saturday. I calculate a three-billion dollar benefit. It would be my honor if you and your delegation would attend as my guests."

Arnold coughed on his coffee, and blinked, speechless. Nik waited patiently for the Secretary to gather his words. He knew it came as a surprise. As a general rule, the Ascendancy lauded philanthrophy, and even participated himself, but it was done privately, without push from the government. That he was intervening in charitable causes was unprecedented. Finally, he nodded, "that's quite generous of you, Ascendancy. We will be honored to attend."

Nik smiled, "very good."

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Evelyn - 01-01-2018, 09:40 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-02-2018, 03:07 PM
[No subject] - by Evelyn - 01-08-2018, 11:03 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 01-09-2018, 02:21 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-10-2018, 10:25 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 01-11-2018, 11:37 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-11-2018, 08:29 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 01-12-2018, 09:04 AM
[No subject] - by Evelyn - 01-13-2018, 08:41 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-15-2018, 08:50 PM