This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Late-night assignment
((Noemi moded with approval))

As desired, she followed, and the pleasantness of her slim weight settled against his chest. The blue of an afternoon sky lit her eyes, and her warmth soon suffused his own. His breathing was slow and steady. The shadow of expectations fulfilled tugged one corner of his mouth. The expression was far from a smile, but the dance of achievements unfolding bid him to barely blink so not to miss what she would do next.

There was an intimacy in the play of her fingers along his hair. The grooming of the previous morning was many long hours ago, and the shadow of facial hair had begun to darken his jaw, but for the constancy of the Ascendancy’s perfect appearance, his hair was undisturbed. Or it was until Noémi pressed the splay of her fingers across his scalp. He wanted her to do so again. 

In that, he was attuned to her every movement. The blink of sultry eyes and the way her blouse was disheveled at the collar captivated the most, thus the words that spilled from those dewy lips took him by surprise.

He blinked, and the light warming his expression was chased by the fall of shadows closing in.

He shifted beneath her, gently cupping her shoulders and lifted her away.

He stood, though he did not pace far. He faced the fire spun to life by his own power, watching the flames dance and lick endlessly. He was always drawn to fire, though he never played with it. Nothing so dangerous as that, but where people were known to sit in front of lakes or watch the breeze rustle forest canopies, Nikolai found the greatest peace in flame. The Datsan served no electricity; the Siberian highland lifestyle was warmed by fire. Their food was cooked with fire. He meditated in solitary and isolation by the light of fires and in doing so was content to be so alone.

After a minute of silence, he turned to face her once more. His gaze settled upon the girl waiting there, but it quickly lifted to something seemingly behind her shoulder that only he could behold. It was a vision. His vision.

When he started to speak, his voice was raspy, the volume low. This time of night it was not uncommon for his voice to be strained. But it was burdened; heavy.

“A hundred years ago, the world was wracked with a war so terrible that we nearly ended ourselves." 

"Forty years ago, not a soul would have fathomed I would be here today, and yet here I am, Ascendancy of billions of people.” He paused a moment, considering the enormity of that statement.

“Ten years from now, it will be unrecognizable again. I will rule every single person on this planet.”

“A hundred years from now, we will think of this moment as history. Children will memorize and then forget the names of lands and capitols we thought would always exist, but for what is forgotten, every child alive will know my name.”

“Five hundred years from now, we will look back upon this moment and call ourselves barbarians. Unable to even imagine the world as it once was.”

“A thousand years from now, war will pass into legend. A forgotten fairy tale. The human race will be united as it always should have been, and for my unity, I will be the most beloved creature to ever walk this planet.”

“And five thousand years from now, I will remain, and when every other soul forgets, I will be the only one to remember what it was like before. I will rule in fairness and lead the human race into what it was always meant to be. I will never be forgotten, because I am destined to do this. Forever.”

The vision of this secret future danced alive, passionate and certain in his eyes.

His gaze settled back on the girl in his company, waiting on bated breath. The vision spiraled backward in time, back to this one moment, where he asked one question of the soul thinking she could comprehend all that he was.

He drew a deep breath, settling his countenance to one of assurance and strength,
“How could all that…”

…be lonely?” he asked.

Noémi was a stunning creature. The light of the fire danced on her skin, and Nikolai’s breathing quickened ever so slightly as he beheld her beauty. After a moment, the silent bend of the fingers summoned her to come to him.

And when she did, his fingers slowly slid up the twin spindles of her arms until at the crest of her shoulders he leaned and whispered something in her ear.

((Whisper sent via PM))

Messages In This Thread
Late-night assignment - by Ascendancy - 07-28-2022, 05:50 PM
RE: Late-night assignment - by Noémi Jourdain - 07-29-2022, 08:11 PM
RE: Late-night assignment - by Ascendancy - 07-30-2022, 03:21 AM
RE: Late-night assignment - by Noémi Jourdain - 07-30-2022, 05:20 PM
RE: Late-night assignment - by Ascendancy - 07-30-2022, 09:15 PM
RE: Late-night assignment - by Noémi Jourdain - 07-31-2022, 08:51 PM
RE: Late-night assignment - by Ascendancy - 08-01-2022, 02:53 AM
RE: Late-night assignment - by Noémi Jourdain - 08-03-2022, 07:12 PM
RE: Late-night assignment - by Ascendancy - 08-04-2022, 12:40 AM
RE: Late-night assignment - by Noémi Jourdain - 08-05-2022, 08:12 PM