This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Don't Be Afraid
The boy caught his footing and fell backwards, landing seated on the step. The boy drew his knees to his arm and buried his face in his arms. The boy started crying, and Jared's suspicions were confirmed when the boy spoke.

"Please don't tell Jack. I'm supposed to be a man."

It took Jared a couple of seconds to realize that Jack was Jacques; the boy had some trouble pronouncing his name, but it was obvious the boy was scared - scared that he would tell Jacques that he was crying and probably for other reasons too. Anger filled Jared, but he wasn't angry at the boy. He was angry at the situation the boy was in. He should be outside playing games and running - not crying on a basement step.

Jared stepped forward and sat next to the boy, remaining silent for a few seconds, thinking of what to say.

"I won't tell Jacques. No worries, but there is no shame in crying. 'Crying isn't a sign of weakness. It's a sign of having tried too hard to be strong for too long.'"
Jared didn't remember where he had heard the quote, but it seemed to fit. "We're taught that as men, we need to hide our feelings. We can't show that we're sad, worried, or scared. By letting those we're weak, but really, that's a lie."

Jared paused to let what he said sink in. "The problem with keeping them in is that as more emotions come, they build up inside of us, and eventually it needs to be released. Sometimes that comes through tears. Sometimes - through other ways."

Jared was scared to bring up the next part; he didn't want the boy to feel guilty, so he kept his voice soft and non-judgmental. "Sometimes it builds up so much that we make bad choices. We don't understand why we do it - sometimes we feel like its the only choice to make. This is why it's important to find ways to deal with the feelings before they become too strong."

Jared sighed. "It's why I'm down here today. I was scared and upset, so I came down here to exercise. It helps me deal with those feelings. It gives me a positive way to let those feelings out, and you know what...I feel better now."

Jared pulled out a granola bar he had kept in his shirt pocket for after the workout. "That reminds me...it's time for my post workout snack...hmmmm...not sure if I can eat it all. Do you want to share?"

Edited by Jared Vanders, Sep 15 2014, 10:24 AM.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Jared Vanders - 09-07-2014, 06:04 PM
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 09-14-2014, 12:23 PM
[No subject] - by Jared Vanders - 09-14-2014, 03:50 PM
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 09-15-2014, 07:42 AM
[No subject] - by Jared Vanders - 09-15-2014, 10:23 AM
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 09-15-2014, 01:42 PM
[No subject] - by Jared Vanders - 09-15-2014, 02:21 PM
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 09-18-2014, 03:24 PM
[No subject] - by Jared Vanders - 09-18-2014, 11:33 PM
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 09-24-2014, 05:10 AM
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 09-24-2014, 05:11 AM