This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Ciudad de Pestilence
Damien listened with patient intensity, as if he hung on every word the woman said. Inside, he felt a spike of amusement at her audacity and blatant distain for the danger she was in. She must have been confident in the value of her information or else a very good spy. Or she was unhinged by whatever events that had preceded this meeting.

Whatever the answer may be, Damien was curious to find out. She was correct in saying he could take care of himself. He did so extremely well. However, he did not lower his guard. The memory of Spectra’s invisible grasp around his heart came to mind along with his days in San Quentin. How often had he heard a similar disarming line? Almost always the one that spoke attempted something as idiotic as it was futile, but they always attempted, and Damien did not have time to deal with petty assassins.

Suspicious as he may have been, he did not turn the woman away as promised. With a gesture the guards opened the gates and allow Camilla to pass. They did not seem impressed. Judging from the woman’s hard features, she had given them a hard time.

Before he addressed the more immediate matter, he confirmed one of her idle rumours. “I watched as the light of life left Guitterez’s eyes,”
he said with a flash of heat. “He died sobbing. The tears failed to repay the horrors he had ordered. I ended his sorry life myself, so shall the others fall by my hand. This, I promise.”

It was unnecessary and avoided the question left unanswered. Damien schooled himself to equanimity. His irritation over the senseless deaths stung more than he had expected. They were far too undisciplined; a fault he would remedy sooner rather than later.

But for now, Camilla. Full of the Light, he threaded a pattern that contained sound within a perimeter. Menial as it seemed, in San Quentin it had proven to be one of the most useful. “Our conversation is private.”
He waved a hand towards the guard who kept an angry eye on the woman. “No-one but the two of us will hear. If you are sceptical, I encourage you to test my word. When you are satisfied, I will hear all you have to say.”

His reason for this particular approach was twofold. First, his abilities must be made common knowledge, not merely rumour. Secondly, he must be seen talking to the people freely. His status as a foreigner delayed their victory. If he were to succeed, the trust of the people would be paramount.
Edited by Damien, Jul 8 2014, 02:40 PM.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Damien - 06-11-2014, 07:59 AM
[No subject] - by Damien - 06-17-2014, 12:42 PM
[No subject] - by Damien - 06-18-2014, 10:12 AM
[No subject] - by Damien - 06-21-2014, 02:11 PM
[No subject] - by Damien - 06-26-2014, 11:48 AM
[No subject] - by Damien - 06-29-2014, 01:39 PM
[No subject] - by Camila - 06-30-2014, 08:03 PM
[No subject] - by Damien - 07-01-2014, 10:35 AM
[No subject] - by Dane Gregory - 07-02-2014, 07:50 AM
[No subject] - by Camila - 07-04-2014, 05:21 PM