This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

To Raise A Child
Ricky had found her, and had come to him. He didn't know if she trusted him, but doubted that was the case. She was scared and primal instinct made humans go to each other in those sort of situations. It was probably nothing but human instinct that brought her out from underneath the bush.

He took her back to his home in silence, with the exception of telling her that she was safe every now and then. At the house he checked out her arm - a bruise - she would be fine.

Marta was already in the bed when he brought her the ice pack and some water. Marta seemed deep in thought and he wondered what was going through her head. His heart ached at seeing such a young one going through what she was. He knew he had to be patient.

"Marta, I'm not going to hurt you. Ever."
Ricky wasn't sure what prompted the words, but Marta stayed silent and didn't look up. There was a change in her eyes though. Something had gotten through to her tonight.

"Go to sleep. Things will be better tomorrow."
Ricky said, beginning to rise.

"You're not mad?"
Ricky sat back down and looked at her. Confusion, sadness, and regret were in her eyes.

Ricky looked at her softly. "No niña. Not mad - a little worried, but not mad."

Marta stayed silent, deep in thought. She was probably matching her experiences with men and how they differed from her experiences with Ricky. She didn't look up, but still held confusion.

"Sleep...you'll feel better tomorrow okay?"

"I can't...bad dreams."

Ricky nodded. A girl that experienced what she had was bound to have nightmares. "They are just dreams niña. They cannot hurt you, and you are safe here."

That puzzled look came on Marta's face. He had her thinking - this was good - he hoped. Ricky had to keep working. She would heal in time. He thought of when he was upset or sick. His mother would sing to him, so Ricky sang.

"Duérmete mi niña,
duérmete mi amor,
duérmete pedazo,
de mi corazón."

Marta looked at him, speculation in her eyes. "Mommy used to sing me that song."

Ricky smiled a genuine smile. "So did mine."

"You had a mommy?"

Ricky laughed. "Of course - maybe some day you will meet her."

A momentary smile broke out on Marta's face. "Is she pretty. My mommy was pretty."

Ricky nodded. "Very pretty."

"I miss her."
Marta looked sad.

"That's because you loved her. She loved you too. Always love her and remember her. Then she will live here."
Ricky placed his hand over his own heart.

Marta looked at him in wonder and then yawned. "You need sleep hon. Do you want me to sing again?"

Marta nodded and Ricky sang the song again, lulling Marta to sleep. He kissed her on the forehead and then retreated to his own room where he lit another candle and prayed a prayer of thanks - for Marta's safety and for her progress lately. He had found a crack in her shell, and that meant that soon she would let him help her.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Enrique - 12-31-2014, 11:25 AM
[No subject] - by Enrique - 01-02-2015, 12:10 AM
[No subject] - by Enrique - 01-19-2015, 12:58 PM
[No subject] - by Enrique - 01-20-2015, 04:29 PM
[No subject] - by Enrique - 01-23-2015, 03:32 PM
[No subject] - by Enrique - 01-26-2015, 05:29 PM
[No subject] - by Enrique - 04-16-2015, 03:52 PM
[No subject] - by Enrique - 04-19-2015, 12:20 PM
[No subject] - by Enrique - 04-19-2015, 03:23 PM
[No subject] - by Enrique - 04-20-2015, 10:03 AM