This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

A debate
Professor Napoli greatly desired to comment upon Jon's rebuttal, but the rules of the debate forced his focus to turn toward the argument currently on the table. Which, it seemed, Jon was persistent upon this idea of classifying the CCD government. He wanted to use his parameters to define, classify, and judge a foreign people based on the curse of his american arrogance. If it wasn't the American way, then it was wrong. The fallacy of the logic in that was nearly enough to undermine Professor Napoli's collection, a countenance he was careful to reserve so far.

He did not take a drink of water this time. He did not woo the crowd with pleasantries. For this short rebuttal, he got straight to the point. "I argue the societies of the past did not welcome dictatorships. I argue the definition Jon has quoted is not sufficient. I will be blunt. Dictatorships are of 'a government that has the power to govern without the consent of those being governed.'" Professor Napoli leaned an elbow on the podium and gestured sternly at the audience. "Every single Dominance in this great Custody has elected to be governed by the Ascendancy. Therefore, by definition, we are NOT a dictatorship." He took a deep breath, knowing he'd momentarily lost his patience, but at least he was quick to regain it.

"Allow me to state another definition. Totaltarianism is 'a state that regulates nearly every aspect of public and private behavior of the people.'" He gestured with his other hand as a visual contrast to the first, as though he were weighing two objects on a pair of scales. "In that, the CCD is the freest of ALL nations! Walk to any dispensery and you can select the Cannabis of your choice. Peruse the market and you will find thin to none regulation in your purchases. A citizen has the right to protect themselves! The Custody freely bequeaths rights to such an extent the American Bill of Rights will choke the life out of you by comparison. Clearly, the CCD is not like this."

He took a breath, ramming his point home. "This combination of dictatorship and totalitarianism leads to the evil tyranny Jon described." Napoli pointed at his opponent without so much as looking at him. "Ivan the Terrible. Adolf Hitler. Francisco Franco. Benito Mussolini. They used the military to suppress, to constrict free speech, to spy on their citizens, to create concentration camps and gulags. They were the tyrants! Not us! Not us."

He took a solidifying breath, his voice calm and confident now. "The CCD is an enlightened dictatorship. Just as the Greeks revolutionized democracy and heightened civilization, so also has the Ascendancy elevated modern society one more. Moscow is living the American Dream but not in the American-way. And this is what bothers my opponent; this is what bothers all Americans. They are bitter over our success while they decline further to the trenches. In the last twenty-five years, this city's economy has grown by thirty percent. Average income per capita has grown by ten-fold. Poverty rates are proportionally three-times lower than the current New York City's twenty-five percent rate. These numbers far outpace that of the turn of the century UAE. Moscow runs like a swiss watch!"

He only had a few moments remaining. So he gathered his senses, took a breath and spoke with a deep, proud voice. "We believe our society is what makes us great. There is a huge disconnection of logic that my opponent says he reveres freedom, but only if that freedom is defined by American parameters. He will not allow other citizens of the world to elect their own freedom if it differs from his. So freedom is great, he says, but you," Napoli pointed into the camera, "are not allowed to the freedom to live as you want."

He finally acknowledged Jon with a glance. "If you hate the Custody so much, then leave it. You do not deserve it." The moderator began to cut him short, but Napoli spoke into the microphone even as he began to move away. "I remind the audience we are here to debate terrorism, not the merits of the Custody! But drumming up tangential controversies to distract the crowd is a sharp idea!"

He took his seat. The debate should be nearly ended.

<small>NPC Professor Napoli</small>

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 08-09-2013, 02:38 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 08-10-2013, 07:07 PM
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 08-11-2013, 12:55 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 08-11-2013, 08:16 AM
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 08-13-2013, 04:05 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 08-15-2013, 05:30 PM
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 08-16-2013, 04:44 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 08-16-2013, 06:28 PM