This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

A debate
Jon didn't need a drink of water before resuming the pulpit in response. He practically salivated to rip the argument apart with his very teeth. It was good to see some new energy in the debate provided by professor Napoli. Finally something to sink his teeth into.

He stooped to the microphone and spoke. "I thank the professor for his response. However, if he were to speak of claiming apples to oranges, he might want to seek out his tutor in Economics 101. Capitalism is not a system of governance, but an economic theory practiced in various forms across the world. It is the system of governance that determines the ability of capitalism to function to one degree or another."

He paused, but only long enough to let the subtle insult to his opponent sink in. Time for another. They made it so easy, sometimes. "I would further thank my opponent for agreeing with my classification of the CCD as a dictatorship. This makes things easier as we are now talking apples to apples. Convenient, one might say?"

The moderator glared at him. A subtle warning he was on the verge of breaking decorum. He gently raised his palm to silently acknowledge The unspoken reprimand.

Jon had a minute left. "Your argument I am biased on a proper form of government based on not having known others is invalid. I have been to school. I don't claim the U.S. system is inviolate, but there are reasons it works. The United States has persisted as it has due to no one man being above the rule of the supreme law of the land. This prevents abuses and more importantly provides a clear pathway of transfer of power.

"No form of governance where there is not a clear pathway of succession survives. As I said earlier, great monarchies are wonderful for those who live under them, but for the succeeding generation? The empires of Alexander the Great...Charlemagne...Without the constraint of the rule of law their empires crumbled with their deaths as soon as they passed. The Romans tried to Build an empire on Rule of law with one man invested with supreme power, and it did not work. No one man can hold absolute power and hope it to last."

Jon paused For effect and for a breath before continuing. The moderator signaled he was almost out of time but he had to make this point: "What exactly is the plan of succession for the Custody? I'm afraid I am a bit fuzzy on it."

Jon had probably overrun his time by a few seconds, but thankfully the moderator hadn't noticed. Jon glanced at Professor Napoli and grinned.

(Edited 8-12 for formatting purposes, removing typos and emboldening spoken text)

Edited by Jon Little Bird, Aug 13 2013, 01:55 AM.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 08-09-2013, 02:38 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 08-10-2013, 07:07 PM
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 08-11-2013, 12:55 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 08-11-2013, 08:16 AM
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 08-13-2013, 04:05 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 08-15-2013, 05:30 PM
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 08-16-2013, 04:44 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 08-16-2013, 06:28 PM