This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

A Window to the Past
"Of Pallas Athena, guardian of the city, I begin to sing. Dread is she, and with Ares she loves the deeds of war, the sack of cities and the shouting and the battle. It is she who saves the people as they go to war and come back. Hail, goddess, and give us good fortune and happiness!"

He had read the words before but they always drew him back. Athena, Goddess of Wisdom, War and Craft. What was it about this non-existent being that kindled such emotion - emotions that he could not comprehend?

All of the ancient myth filled him with a kind of nostalgia but never as strong as the Greek and Roman. He was fascinated by the deeds of the Gods among mortals, their heroics and malevolence. The -

"You know it's summer, right?" a voice said beside him. "Sorry, just want to squeeze passed. And I didn't exactly want to risk knocking you head-first into a shelf."

It took him by surprise. How could he not have noticed someone right in front of him!?

Michael looked up slowly, anger bubbling up - at what, he could not say.

The rage ebbed, the woman's grin was refreshing. Men twice his size had avoided him as if he were a viper about to strike. To see this delicate woman smiling - even if she was making fun of him - was welcome - and for some reason, he wasn't surprised.

"Whatever they call it here, I call it cold,"
he said, pressing himself against the bookcase to let her through, although it looked like there was enough space to get by in the first place.

He looked down at the bag she had indicated at her side, which seemed like it was full of books. "You read history?"
Michael tried adopt a more affable calm, but the assassination attempt still stung. "Forgive me if I sound surprised, I don't mean anything by it. It's just that I have found people in the CCD tend to be so focused on moving forward, they don't realise that many answers may be found in the past."

(Source for the hymn: The Homeric Hymns - Greek Epic C8th-4th B.C.)

Edited by Michael Vellas, Jul 31 2013, 10:01 AM.
"She saw a flaring halo around his head, radiant in gold and blue. It shouted of glory and power to come"
"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 07-25-2013, 10:29 PM
[No subject] - by Thalia - 07-29-2013, 06:12 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 07-29-2013, 09:26 PM
[No subject] - by Thalia - 07-30-2013, 08:02 AM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 07-30-2013, 08:43 AM
[No subject] - by Thalia - 07-30-2013, 03:27 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 07-30-2013, 09:48 PM
[No subject] - by Thalia - 07-31-2013, 05:06 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 08-01-2013, 05:16 AM
[No subject] - by Thalia - 08-03-2013, 07:11 AM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 08-03-2013, 08:49 AM