This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Running to Stand Still
Regus quietly looked at her for a long while and so she sat still, absorbing the atmosphere of the room. When he finally spoke, it was quietly. She couldn't really tell what was going on behind them. His question was simple, but there was something behind it. She knew steel hidden in silk. The memory of Regan whispering to her as they stalked their prey. Quiet. Deadly. She couldn't help the slight smile that came to her face. At the thought. She wasn't afraid. But she was aware that she was being judged.

She quelled her desire to throw caution to the wind, to flaunt her independent nature, her utter lack of concern for the thoughts others and just tell him that if he was smart, he'd let her join. The room was silent, forcing her to contemplation and she found herself wanting to answer truthfully.

She tilted her head slightly to regard him. "The obvious answer, of course, is that they need to be killed. Simple as that."
Somehow, though, she knew that he would press for more. She pursed her lips in thought, her eyes catching the books and parchments or whatever that decorated the room. A flash of insight came to her. "I'm not a scholar. I don't know much about history or anything. The man who trained me to be Atharim didn't exactly sit me down and make me read a bunch of books- where we came from, why, and so on. Hard to read living that life. But I got the general story, of course."

She breathed easily, knowing what she meant to say. "For me, at the end of the day, this is about humanity's survival."
She flashed back to all the hunts she'd been on, what she'd felt. She let her passion show. "It's survival of the fittest, period. Humanity against everything else. So I hunt and kill rougs and oni and wolkfin and whatever else is out there because they are a threat to us. Their abilities make them dangerous to people. We are the tools that have been created to make mankind safe. We are the guardians!"

She looked pointedly at him. "And the reborn gods are the worst of all. Because the potential for evil and abuse is so much greater. They are not like normal people. If they go bad, a lot of people suffer and die. I know some of the stories at least. So this is a war. And I fight for mankind."

She paused, thinking. "From what you said at the Convocation, I think that we are on the same page. I want to offer my services to this new Order. I believe in it. It should be done. I'm good at what I do. Simple as that."

Perhaps not elegantly spoken. She couldn't help that she really had no experience or interest in speaking to anyone as anything other than an equal. She hoped he didn't take offense. And he did, well, she was who she was. He seemed a smart guy. Hopefully he wouldn't let a little thing like that keep her out. Cuz she wanted in. Real bad.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Jacinda - 03-30-2015, 01:54 PM
[No subject] - by Yoshimura - 03-31-2015, 11:55 PM
[No subject] - by Armande - 04-09-2015, 09:32 AM
[No subject] - by Jacinda - 04-10-2015, 11:01 AM
[No subject] - by Yoshimura - 04-10-2015, 12:28 PM
[No subject] - by Armande - 04-14-2015, 10:53 AM
[No subject] - by Jacinda - 04-17-2015, 01:18 PM
[No subject] - by Armande - 04-21-2015, 10:10 AM
[No subject] - by Jacinda - 04-21-2015, 04:47 PM
[No subject] - by Armande - 04-22-2015, 04:59 PM
[No subject] - by Yoshimura - 04-23-2015, 11:05 AM