This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

What Happens Next
Nikolai waited nearer the Facility's entrance to confront Michael as he was departing. The distance was great enough, and with several levels of separation between them, that Nikolai hoped his presence would not be sensed by Aria. However, the truth of the matter was that he did not know the full range of her capabilities - such as they were. Once she identified someone, could she blindly pick them out from a sea of individuals by sense alone? Or were her senses more like the power Nikolai sensed among other gods he'd encountered?

Their conversation was enlightening, but Michael was the focus of his study for its duration. Aria was what she was: an Atharim, assigned to kill him. She valued living, and claimed abuse and manipulation at the hand of the Atharim, thus was willing to strike a deal in exchange for her life. While Nikolai would never trust her word, he trusted the instinct the live. She would comply with the statues of his deal while her life was in danger.

Michael was a far greater enigma. Nikolai truly understood little about his motivation or character. Yet unlike Aria, whom Nik comprehended and mistrusted, he trusted Michael to greater degree. A glance away from the glass screen from which he watched their reunion showed a faint reflection of himself, and the Arcus band. His fingers tapped as he studied the cool profile in view. The decision to trust Michael had been made the same night as the decision to identify with the modern Caesar, even crowning himself with a band of metal like the Greeks wore their ivy laurels. Both steps might be insignificant in the grand scheme of his tenure as Ascendancy, but the weight of their matter was heavily considered.

Michael and Aria were certainly familiar. His surprise at seeing her was sincere; as was the fascinating demonstration to follow. Nikolai did not think Michael so talented an actor to fake the scene on improv. He recovered from her poisonous touch, but the claim that the strong of will were immune was false. Nikolai knew few men as strong-willed as Michael, but while he faltered at her hand, he did eventually recover. Perhaps the forcefulness of Aria's funneled emotions eased and Michael broke the spell that held him enthralled. He could not tell from the distance whether Michael held power in his grasp during the trial, therefore the question remained whether or not the power would protect them.

Michael's passage was imminent, so Nikolai moved to intercept him. "You were right,"
Nikolai announced as soon as the commander of this 'ascendant army' came into view. "Of course I watched."
He moved forward, meeting Michael while careful to not grasp the power that circulated just out of range. He could not anticipate whether Michael was threatened. Theirs was a mutual agreement to not reach for power out of intimidation or fear. The moment Michael did Nikolai would have to assume it was meant as a threat and vice versa.

"I want to witness the reaction of a man who realizes his allegiance with the enemy has been discovered."
He nodded, "Yes. The Atharim are the enemy, but not mine by choice. They made me their enemy, condemned to execution at the hand of my friend after I saved his life."
His tone was a cool anger but the stillness of his gaze held steady as he peered into the young eyes of a man on the brink of damnation.

"And you struck a bargain with the same Atharim. Worse, an assassin charged with finishing the task they began forty years ago. One who could kill me with a touch. You are too intelligent to think I would take this discovery lightly."

He was showing Michael a great deal of courtesy out of fairness for the man's service this past year. It was far more than he deserved, but until condemned, Nikolai's cloaked anger would be minced with justice.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Aria - 05-28-2015, 10:32 AM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 06-08-2015, 09:05 AM
[No subject] - by Aria - 06-08-2015, 09:28 AM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 06-08-2015, 10:48 AM
[No subject] - by Aria - 06-08-2015, 12:14 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 06-12-2015, 08:28 AM
[No subject] - by Aria - 06-12-2015, 08:57 AM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 06-12-2015, 09:18 AM
[No subject] - by Aria - 06-12-2015, 10:50 AM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 06-16-2015, 09:02 AM
[No subject] - by Aria - 06-16-2015, 12:25 PM