This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Out of place
Marcus laughed in delight at her reaction. Eyes as wide as they could go. Rounding her desk to approach him with barely concealed excitement. If he hadn't known better, he could imagine her as Cinderella having been given a glimpse of the gown and the pumpkin coach.

As to that....he would broach that in a moment. Her concerns required his attention first. He smiled broadly. "Please, sit Dr. Zayed. You are a beautiful butterfly and following your fluttering about will strain my neck."
The twinkle in his eye let her see it was both joke and truth. On all counts.

"As to the fee, I have been asked to attend in an official capacity, and having a friend- and I hope I can call you a friend, if only a new one- and colleague as my guest is part of that."

Strictly speaking, he wasn't sure but he would speak the Ascendancy and explain. His role there was two fold and a date on his arm would make that far less obvious. In any case, the words were out and what was done was done.

His grin dropped to faint smile, chuckling. "As to contacts...you are correct. I doubt any scientists, especially of your caliber, will be there. But think of it this way. Beaurocracy does very little to promote experimentation and innovation. I hope my Consulate will be different, but at the end of the day, government is government. I hate admitting that, but it's true. But those who will attend have hundreds of thousands of people working for them, a small but sizable percentage involved in research and development, optomization, and so forth. That competative environment tends to reward the best of the best. With the few exceptions such as yourself coming from Academia, this is where the CCD poaches the most brilliant people it needs."

He paused. "In any case, you can never know whose ear you might bend, whose interest you catch. Perhaps your research will depend on some piece of technology not yet invented. Or perhaps a variation of what you need, with some minor adjustment, is already sitting on a shelf gathering dust. Connections are easy and effortless to make, and yet can be so valuable."

She was beautiful. A butterfly was right. He frowned, unsure of how to bring this up without giving offense. In truth, she'd probably stand out radiantly in any standard formal attire. But sometimes people felt self conscious.

An idea hit him. In hindsight it was fairly obvious. He hs been given the same. "In general, I know you will be working in the lab. But this Ball will not probably not be the only function like this you may need to attend. A clothing allowance is available for those who might want to use it. Usually, we have a standing account at any of the shops in the GUM across the square. If you'd like, I can have my secretary give you the necessary information. If you'd like to use it."

He smiled warmly and let her see his honest thought. "Not that I think you need it."

Edited by Marcus DuBois, Jan 16 2018, 09:27 PM.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Danika - 01-03-2018, 08:31 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 01-05-2018, 02:52 PM
[No subject] - by Danika - 01-11-2018, 09:40 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 01-12-2018, 11:27 AM
[No subject] - by Danika - 01-15-2018, 08:58 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 01-16-2018, 09:25 PM
[No subject] - by Danika - 01-17-2018, 08:55 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 01-18-2018, 01:18 PM