This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Out of place
Marcus laughed to himself, wondering why she was flighty or flustered or whatever it was. Maybe this was just her usual manner. He stepped in, the steam from his coffee mug rising, and adjusted his smile to be apologetic.

"I didn't mean to startle you. I will knock next time. I know how it feels to be lost in thought."
He looked questioningly at the chair before sitting down. He really didn't need to ask permission to sit in her office, but people's offices became extensions of themselves. The rules of etiquette always helped smooth things over.

He listened to her exchange with some amusement, more intrigued by her mannerisms. One could almost read her thoughts that way. To think, he had been suspicious of her, wondering if her openness was a facade that concealed ulterior motives. But no. She was refreshingly transparent and honest. A reaction that surprised him.

He wondered if the bureaucracy of working for the government would beat that out of her. Academia hadn't, so far. But the cut-throat nature of Academia was children playing at recess compared to CCD politics.

On a whim, he made a decision. She needed to be able concentrate on her work. Clearly, when she was in the zone, everything became distraction to break her concentration. Her work would complement his and he desperately needed more tools available. He could already feel enemies circling. He pushed away his grumbling about the Atharim registration. He would make sure to shield her from the worst of things.

At her question, "Things have been well. There's always too much to do and not enough time to do it. Like being beaten to death by feathers. As to your projects, do you have any idea where you'd like to start? Is there someone you'd like me to put you in touch with that might facilitate things for you?"

An idea occurred to him. It might benefit both of them. "You may have heard of the Benefit Ball being thrown for Legion Premier. Would you care to accompany me as my guest? I imagine you might be able to make some contacts that would prove useful to your work in the future."
Ascendancy had asked that he accompany Vellas and his men as part of the security. Having a date on his arm might keep attention away from him, should it become necessary for him to act.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Danika - 01-03-2018, 08:31 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 01-05-2018, 02:52 PM
[No subject] - by Danika - 01-11-2018, 09:40 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 01-12-2018, 11:27 AM
[No subject] - by Danika - 01-15-2018, 08:58 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 01-16-2018, 09:25 PM
[No subject] - by Danika - 01-17-2018, 08:55 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 01-18-2018, 01:18 PM