This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

The Enigma
Alex could sense that he was getting annoyed. That was probably not a good state for him to be in, but she couldn't fathom what was annoying. It was a simple question. She took the picture from the file folder she was carrying. It was the same picture the Chief Inspector had given him. "I'm sorry if you've already answered these questions. But I do have my reasons for asking you. Do you know her?"

Dane sighed and rolled his head. The good doctor held up a picture of the bitch and asked him a question. As he had with Drayson, he looked over the woman's face, though not quite as closely as he had the day before. "Yes. The Chief Inspector showed me her picture yesterday. Was that yesterday? Its hard to keep track of time."
He rubbed his forehead.

Alex smiled, trying to alleviate some of his annoyance. "It's still the same day. I'm sure it's the lighting that's making you feel like more time has passed.
It was darker and never fully illuminated, it had it's purposes. "I didn't mean from yesterday, from before. Did you know her before? Seen her before? Anywhere other than her in the station?

The lighting? For a doctor, she was little aware of what was going on with his case. He recalled the three officers coming at him, a flash of pain and darkness. When he woke there was a pinprick on his arm and fog in his head. Couldn't, perhaps, that have something to do with the pace of time? His eyes fell back to the portrait of the girl. "No, I did not. And I anticipate that you're going to next inquire about the hair as did the Chief Inspector."

"How did it get there?"
She knew she'd get a cryptic answer, but she wanted to hear his more than obvious reply.

He knew she had to ask the question. She was police, and police frowned upon people carrying hair around. Dane had an official story, of course, that he would tell once he'd spoken with the family's lawyer. The preen little man was flying to Moscow as they spoke. "Because I put it in my pocket."
He gauged the doctor's reaction to the overly literal answer.

Alex laughed. Well duh.
It wasn't a professional reply, and she only mildly regretted it. "And I'm sure you just picked it up off the ground and pocketed it. Let's for get the girl for now. Why did you put it in your pocket?

God she was an idiot. For a doctor, one would think a woman needed a shred of intelligence to get into medical school. Then again, perhaps he expected too much of a woman? Perhaps he bought the hair? Maybe he stole it from the hair salon she gets her hair cut at? She could have gifted him a lock of her hair, like a Lady to the Knights of old. The irritation at the doctor's stupidity tightened in his chest. "I put it in my pocket so it would always be with me. This isn't the deep, philosophical conversation I expected to have with an expert like yourself."

He really did like to state the obvious, this was going to be difficult. "Why did you always want it with you?"
Alex could feel the disappointment, but he as only stating obvious answers. It was getting a tad annoying. But she couldn't let him get to her, even if he was getting rude.

Finally, perhaps the doctor was getting to the meat of the matter. He pushed from the bunk and stretched. The station had stripped him of his lovely English attire and put him in a pair of scratchy khakis and a white t-shirt that he'd nicely tucked in. He crossed to the bars and peered out at the doctor. He held her gaze. Studied her hair. Afterward, he replied softly. "I think black hair is pretty."

Alex didn't flinch when he approached the bars. She hoped that the drugs would actually stop him from using whatever it was he'd done to the officers before. "Any particular reason why? Someone you know, a memory from your youth?"

He thought for a second, and absently shook his head. "Think of what type of man you're interested in, doctor, and ask yourself why."

Was it really that simple, an attraction? But it was hard to get a straight answer from him. "So a dark haired woman is your idle lover?"
Alex wondered if there was more to it. "And our victim here has nothing to do with your desires? Just some random hair you found?

"If you're asking whether I find dark haired women attractive, yes, I do. Although, my apologies, but I hardly think its any of your business."
He idly gripped the bar like he were holding himself up.

She had offended him. Alex nodded. "I suppose that's true. But the girl is my business. She's dead. You have her hair. One who thought lightly about it would think you had something to do with it. You ripped a lock of hair from Mr. Little Bird's head. So I say you saw this girl alive. You knew her. Mr. Gregory, I think you are capable of very dangerous things. Some how, you threw an officer away from you. Talking to me could be your only hope.
She was getting slightly angry, she hoped it didn't show through.

Dane was a master at reading others. How else would he guess what anyone else wanted from him? The doctor spoke a few words faster than before. Her eyes narrowed ever so slightly. Even her posture was subtly different. Was he finally crawling under her skin? He hoped so. Yes, yes he believed he was. He did not respond, otherwise, but to continue to look at her.

He didn't respond, she also hasn't asked a question. So she turned to the other curiosity, the real curiosity. She took a deep breath and smiled, he wouldn't get to her. She knew that was what he wanted. "Can you tell me how you did that? Throw the officer across the room?

At least the topic was more interesting. How he was special. His smile was cool. "If you push a man hard enough, he will go across a room. I hope the dear man is okay, but I did ask him not to touch me."

He liked this topic, at least it might get more than obvious answers. "He is fine. But you didn't touch him.
Alex stood up and took a step closer. "I saw you rip yourself away from them, and THEN he went flying.

"You must have been mistaken." He dismissed her. "Because it doesn't make sense."

There are many things in this world that do not make sense. Trust me I know very well."
Alex debated with herself if she should reveal the truth. Would it be worth it? For now she'd not say she was special. "I have seen a great many things, men who can feel what you feel, manipulate you at the mere touch. I've seen it.

Dane barked a laugh and turned away. "Perhaps you're the one that needs a psychologist, Doctor."

She smiled. "You'd think so wouldn't you? I can read you like a book Mr. Gregory. I know you think you are special. I know that the girl was something more than just a random thing. I saw it when you first saw the picture with the Chief Inspector."

Dane returned to the cot and laid back down. "I'm not feeling very well, doctor."

Alex nodded, and it was done, at least for now. "Have it your way Mr. Gregory. I will be back, when you are feeling better."
It was possible, but she didn't think so, he was just done.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Alex - 06-12-2014, 09:46 AM
[No subject] - by Dane Gregory - 06-13-2014, 08:13 PM
[No subject] - by Alex - 06-17-2014, 11:50 AM
[No subject] - by Dane Gregory - 06-18-2014, 08:35 AM
[No subject] - by Alex - 06-18-2014, 12:20 PM
[No subject] - by Dane Gregory - 06-18-2014, 06:50 PM
[No subject] - by Alex - 06-20-2014, 04:49 PM
[No subject] - by Alex - 06-26-2014, 03:45 PM
[No subject] - by Dane Gregory - 06-27-2014, 02:44 PM
[No subject] - by Alex - 06-30-2014, 08:24 AM
[No subject] - by Aria - 06-30-2014, 10:54 AM